Fewer phones have micro sd and hdmi?

droiduh

Reaction score
I'm noticing some awesome smartphones (like droid turbo, nexus 6, etc) are missing micro sd and hdmi output.

Have they (companies) decided to get rid of micro sd and hdmi or no longer think they are important? Should I care now that there are tablets, android tv sticks, etc?

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Very seldom used my HDMI out
when I had it. I think they make
Micro usb to HDMI. If it that important..

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
As far as sd card I do prefer them.. But live without

OP
droiduh

droiduh

Reaction score
Very seldom used my HDMI out
when I had it. I think they make
Micro usb to HDMI. If it that important..
I use it a lot both home and away. I have plenty of video apps that are not available on roku. It give me an excuse not to bring roku or buy android tv sticks/players. Most hotels have a HD tv now so I can use my phone as video streaming player (hulu, youtube, netflix, comcast tv go, sports, movies downloaded from Google play store, and so on). I can also play games on hd tv rather than looking at the small screen on my phone.

OP
droiduh

droiduh

Reaction score
I suppose I can buy a new one without hdmi-output/micro-sd and keep my old one as video streaming device/player.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
At least Moto finally offered a 64-gig option. I just want storage, don't really care if it's a removable SD or not.

They are quickly running out of specs to upgrade to deliver any value at all. 21MP cameras? QHD displays (we aren't really going to get 4k screens on a 5" phone, are we?)

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Samsung has road mapped UHD (4k screens) for future phones. Will it be 5"? Who knows, but that would be around 800 PPI.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Samsung has road mapped UHD (4k screens) for future phones. Will it be 5"? Who knows, but that would be around 800 PPI.

Ridiculous. Completely unnecessary and an irresponsible drain on precious battery resources. I think the need for 2k displays is very dubious. They should focus the R&D on better direct light performance and overall color exactness.

I don't think 4k is even practical for larger 10" tablets. It's all about the higher margins they get on overkill specs.

On the bright side, as the specs in current high-end phones get pushed down to low/mid-tier devices then we can finally vote with our wallets. Looks like Samsung may already be seeing that happen. If not for carrier subsidies a lot less people would be upgrading every 2 years now.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ridiculous. Completely unnecessary and an irresponsible drain on precious battery resources. I think the need for 2k displays is very dubious. They should focus the R&D on better direct light performance and overall color exactness.

I don't think 4k is even practical for larger 10" tablets. It's all about the higher margins they get on overkill specs.

On the bright side, as the specs in current high-end phones get pushed down to low/mid-tier devices then we can finally vote with our wallets. Looks like Samsung may already be seeing that happen. If not for carrier subsidies a lot less people would be upgrading every 2 years now.
I really appreciate "trickle down technology".
I also use a sd card otg cable combo on my G2. I have it from my old Nexus 7 og that had no expansion and a whopping 16 gb storage before Google bloatware and os.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
They have perfected color exactness. Their Amoleds have surpassed all other mobile screens on the market.

I would prefer them to dump R&D into a full metal chassis that still has a removable battery. I'm not digging that they are moving to rapid charging instead of moving towards overall better battery stamina.

All of those opinionated blogs that chastise plastic builds over unibody metal builds are pushing Samsung towards a unibody design. If that happens I will switch OEMS.

Unfortunately, with people grabbing that metal build quality opinion and dragging it all over the Internet it looks like me ditching Samsung will happen by next year.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Battery switching is overrated. I get some people have a need...but they wouldn't without an unnecessary emphasis on thinness and promotion of more than 1080p.

Your hand has a natural curve to it - ultra-thin phones don't fit naturally, especially with the larger screens. Someone will have an epiphany one day and be like "****, none of these phones are ergonomically practical".

I'll call it right now: "carpal-mobile" will be a frequent diagnosis over the next 5+ years.

Caesars

Reaction score
Thank God the screens are still advancing. I hate looking at none g3 screens now a days. My iphone 6 looks like a joke, thinking about trying the note 4 because of the large removable battery, sd card, and 2k samoled display. I just have to decide if it is worth dumping my beastmode g3.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
The Note 4 slays the G3 in every aspect with the exception of screen to overall build size ratio. There is no comparison.