Few questions for Swype

bigtmonee

Reaction score
1. Anyway to get auto-capitalization for after a "."?

2. Anyway you can get the delete key to just keep deleting when u hold it like the android keyboard? I'm not a fan of having to keep clicking the delete button to delete word after word after word.

Reaction score
These were the same things I was wondering, but I'm afraid there isn't a way to change this yet. Keep in mind that Swype is still in beta and all that, so updates may be rolling out soon.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
well if yur tryin to delete all of it just long press on the box and cut all? it also has an edit function if you press long press the 123sym button

OP
B

bigtmonee

Reaction score
well if yur tryin to delete all of it just long press on the box and cut all? it also has an edit function if you press long press the 123sym button

true but having the delete key just keep deleting was a lot easier and more convenient for me.

another thing they need to add is remembering word frequency. for instance I tried typing pot 50 times to see if it would ever show pot as the first option but it never did.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
you have to add certain words to yur dictionary for them to show first. i had to do that with the word Sh*t lol

OP
B

bigtmonee

Reaction score
you have to add certain words to yur dictionary for them to show first. i had to do that with the word Sh*t lol

No you don't understand what im saying. "pot" is in the swypes vocabulary. However when "swyping" the word "pot" you also potentially swype the words "put, pit, and pour". So I'm saying, if everytime u swype the "pot" motion you select "pot". Then over time swype should learn that and start showing "pot" first automatically. At this time it does not. "Put" will come up first no matter how many times you select "pot".

Aaron636r

Reaction score
I think it works amazing...I personally can deal with it not remembering "pot". Its in beta and its already killer. Give it time...

SGTiger

Reaction score

No you don't understand what im saying. "pot" is in the swypes vocabulary. However when "swyping" the word "pot" you also potentially swype the words "put, pit, and pour". So I'm saying, if everytime u swype the "pot" motion you select "pot". Then over time swype should learn that and start showing "pot" first automatically. At this time it does not. "Put" will come up first no matter how many times you select "pot".

I would hate to think that if I happen to write a text message that used the word "pot" a lot, that "pot" would become the default for that swipe. "Put" is used much more often in the English language than "pot" is.

Also I am able to swipe "pot" if when i swipe, I go through the fat part of the "O" and just above the "U". However, if you go too high, it will capitalize the "O".

OP
B

bigtmonee

Reaction score
I think it works amazing...I personally can deal with it not remembering "pot". Its in beta and its already killer. Give it time...

I would hate to think that if I happen to write a text message that used the word "pot" a lot, that "pot" would become the default for that swipe. "Put" is used much more often in the English language than "pot" is.

Also I am able to swipe "pot" if when i swipe, I go through the fat part of the "O" and just above the "U". However, if you go too high, it will capitalize the "O".

Ok, you guys are WAY to caught up in the EXAMPLE. I used "pot" because it was the first swype path I could think of that would lead to multiple results.

And it wouldn't make it the default automatically, but if overtime it sensed a trend, then it would change it, and since it is infact a trend, i doubt you would hate it.

This is a NECESITY! It was one of the major downfalls of T9!

SGTiger

Reaction score

Ok, you guys are WAY to caught up in the EXAMPLE. I used "pot" because it was the first swype path I could think of that would lead to multiple results.

And it wouldn't make it the default automatically, but if overtime it sensed a trend, then it would change it, and since it is infact a trend, i doubt you would hate it.

Well like I said, I can swipe and have pot come up first in the list. With a little practice, I was able to do it every time. And yes, I know that pot is an example. Can you give me an example of a word that I cannot swipe and get to come up first in the list?

You also mention it as being a potential downfall. The alternative to swipe is tapping on a different keyboard app. Its not like swipe doesn't allow you to also tap out a word. Their tapping procedure isn't slower than any other keyboard alternative as far as I know.

Of course I cannot imagine why anyone would tap out the letters instead of just tapping the second word in the suggested list. Don't get me wrong, I can see where your suggestion would be an improvement. However I cannot see any competing product that comes close thus creating a "downfall" of the product.

Last edited:

mrnelson86

Reaction score

Well like I said, I can swipe and have pot come up first in the list. With a little practice, I was able to do it every time. And yes, I know that pot is an example. Can you give me an example of a word that I cannot swipe and get to come up first in the list?

You also mention it as being a potential downfall. The alternative to swipe is tapping on a different keyboard app. Its not like swipe doesn't allow you to also tap out a word. Their tapping procedure isn't slower than any other keyboard alternative as far as I know.

Of course I cannot imagine why anyone would tap out the letters instead of just tapping the second word in the suggested list. Don't get me wrong, I can see where your suggestion would be an improvement. However I cannot see any competing product that comes close thus creating a "downfall" of the product.

Wait...where is the option to be able to tap it out? Some words are easier to tap out for me, especially if you are doing shorthand or uncommon words not in the dictionary...but as it is if i hit one letter then I have to click the popup text box that comes up as well, making double the taps...This app would be perfect if I can figure out how it can do both

SGTiger

Reaction score
Wait...where is the option to be able to tap it out? Some words are easier to tap out for me, especially if you are doing shorthand or uncommon words not in the dictionary...but as it is if i hit one letter then I have to click the popup text box that comes up as well, making double the taps...This app would be perfect if I can figure out how it can do both

Just ignore the pop up list and keep tapping out the word then hit space bar or tap the finished word in the list.

OP
B

bigtmonee

Reaction score
I understand there are other alternatives and I can certaintly survive without my most frequently swyped words showing up first. But Swype itself is based on the principles of shortcuts and speed. If you never have to go to the correction box again, then that would not only make txting faster, but also easier! I would also go as far to say that the developers should also remember situational word choices as well. (back to the pot example) for example, maybe only everytime you swype "the" then "pot", "pot" comes up automatically instead of "put" because "the put" would make absolutely no sense. Now please stop with the flaming, its really pointless. If you don't understand something please go experiment for yourself.

SGTiger

Reaction score
I understand there are other alternatives and I can certaintly survive without my most frequently swyped words showing up first. But Swype itself is based on the principles of shortcuts and speed. If you never have to go to the correction box again, then that would not only make txting faster, but also easier! I would also go as far to say that the developers should also remember situational word choices as well. (back to the pot example) for example, maybe only everytime you swype "the" then "pot", "pot" comes up automatically instead of "put" because "the put" would make absolutely no sense. Now please stop with the flaming, its really pointless. If you don't understand something please go experiment for yourself.

Sorry. I thought we were just discussing it and never dreamed it would be considered flaming. I just cannot find a word that I cannot swipe and make show up first in the list which I thought was your problem. Maybe there is a word, just haven't found it yet. When it shows up first in the list, you don't have to tap it. You just go ahead and swipe your next word.

Again, my apologies for my misunderstanding.