few questions before I take the plunge

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Hexus, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Hexus

Hexus New Member

So I've decided to root, but I have some questions before I take the actual plunge.
    I understand the basics, put update.zip on the phone, go into recovery mode etc....
    If I put on a custom ROM does it contain updated firmware (2.1)? Or do I need to update the firmware then install the ROM?
    Also has anyone used the ROM manager that people are talking about? I watched a video and it seems to make things very very simple and I can see the benefits in that you could stay up to date with the most current rom, but someone was saying they had trouble doing a recovery after they used it.
    I understand how to make a nandroid backup but what is clockwork?
    Before I do this I need to make 100% sure that I can get back to stock in case I need to exchange the phone or whatever.

Thanks for any help you can give. Sorry for the noob questions!
  2. jstafford1

jstafford1 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

The newer ROMs are running ESE53 2.1 firmware. If you wait for the ota 2.1 you will have to wait more to root it.

As for ROM manager, its a good program and does making switching and updating custom ROMs easier. Just do the reading and research to make sure you do things properly and you shouldn't have any issues.

If you need to return it there is always a way to get back to stock.