Few Newb Rooting questions

STEVESKI

Reaction score
I just got my Droid X and it is my first Android device. I've been with the iPhone for a couple years now and have always been an active memeber in the Jailbreaking community, so naturally I plan on joining the active Rooting community. I've read many of the article's here so I understand the basics, but I have a few general questions that I haven't found a clear answer to.

1) My first plan is to Root and install Wireless Tether. I know how to do this part, but my question is that if I receive an OTA update, do I have to undo the Root and uninstall Wireless Tether, or am I free to update as long as I don't have a 3rd party ROM installed?

2) Is there any reason to use the 3G Mobile Hotspot hack stickied to this forum instead of the Wireless Tether? What's the advantages/disadvantages to both?

3) Assuming this isn't answered already, is there a general rule to know when I cannot receive OTA updates? Is it whenever I need to use bootstrap to make a modification?

4) Is Titanium Backup the app of choice for backing up all data once Rooted and how often/when are the key times to run a backup?

I think that's all for now. Thanks everyone!

CD95YJ

Reaction score
Ok, I will try to answer these as you asked them.

1) My first plan is to Root and install Wireless Tether. I know how to do this part, but my question is that if I receive an OTA update, do I have to undo the Root and uninstall Wireless Tether, or am I free to update as long as I don't have a 3rd party ROM installed?

Without a different ROM installed you should be able to receive notification for an OTA update and be able to run that update, or at least I was able to when I had my D2 rooted without a custom ROM running. You may have to remove root in order to get the OTA notification, but since wireless tether is an app there is no need to remove it. Now, keep in mind that most new updates pushed require devs to modify root so if you update right away it may be a while before you can root again.

2) Is there any reason to use the 3G Mobile Hotspot hack stickied to this forum instead of the Wireless Tether? What's the advantages/disadvantages to both?

Wireless tether use to be adhoc, but that has been changed. That was the major advantage to using the 3G hotspot hack but its more just preference now. Some like using barnacle wifi over wireless tether too. I say try all three to see which one you like best and which one gives you the best connection. I tested wireless tether on my laptop and was able to play star wars galaxies (yeah I know Im a geek) without any problems. Now my guess is that if you use the hotspot hack, it would most definitely have to be removed in order to receive an OTA update since it changes the NVRAM framework on the phone.

3) Assuming this isn't answered already, is there a general rule to know when I cannot receive OTA updates? Is it whenever I need to use bootstrap to make a modification?

Basically when ever you run a custom ROM you won't receive notification for the OTA updates. Your phone needs to basically be stock.

4) Is Titanium Backup the app of choice for backing up all data once Rooted and how often/when are the key times to run a backup?

Titanium back up is going to be used for two things. 1- backing up all of your apps and system data, and 2- if you so choose to "freeze" some of the bloatware like madden or NFS. You will want Titanium if/when you decide to start flashing custom ROMs, its the easiest way to get everything you have downloaded back to your phone.

Titanium backup is different from a nandroid back up though. A nandroid backup will backup everything about your phone at that given time. If you decide you want to run a custom ROM make sure you do a nandrid back up through clockworkmod recovery before you flash the new ROM, that way you can return to stock (rooted of course) android for things like OTA's. If you don't do a nandroid you are stuck SBFing your phone back to stock.

I think that's all for now. Thanks everyone![/QUOTE]

OP
S

STEVESKI

Reaction score
Thanks for the very detailed answers.

I think I'll start with the Wireless Tether and see if I'm happy with the speeds. I'll mainly be using it to tether to my girlfriends WiFi iPad, so I don't need super fast speeds.

So if I'm following you correctly, nandroid makes a full copy of the ROM and the whole image and Titanium just backs up all the apps and user data (kinda like a iPhone sync)? I don't have any intention to install any new ROM's yet, so do you recommend I just use Titanium for now? I'd just like things backed up in case my phone starts getting glitchy or if it crashes then I don't have to go through and install everything and redo all my settings.

CD95YJ

Reaction score
Yeah I recommend using titanium backup. Like you said it will backup apps and settings so in the event you have issues with your phone you can restore apps with ease. I do recommend paying for the pro key, without it you have to ok every apps reinstall.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

pool_shark

Reaction score
You do not have to unroot to get the update, you just have to make sure to have any of the preinstalled apps back in place.
The update will remove root for you and you'll have to reroot.