Few "beginner" questions

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by P8ntballer789, May 5, 2010.

1. P8ntballer789

P8ntballer789 New Member

Hello,
    For basic info im pretty good with computers and such like rooting and jailbreaking things like itouches and other things but never really looked into "hacking" a droid to put all different types of programs. Ive had my droid since it was released and learned easily how to add tons of roms for gameboid(awesome to kill time with lol) but anyways i wanted to know..

1) How to i make my notification bar either clear or black instead of white? Ive seen pictures of it but never really looked into it and HATE it white.
    2) what are the benefits of rooting a droid besides overclocking for speed?
    Any info will help, im slowly learning and looking through all the threads.
    Thanks!!
    ~Brandon
  2. christim

christim DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

1: try this link, for which you need to be rooted: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-themes/26538-mm-theme-custom-colored-text.html
    2: see the answer to 1

click link 2 in my sig to see another color option, screenshots are in the first post.
  3. P8ntballer789

P8ntballer789 New Member

YESS!!! thats exactly what im looking for! Now the big question, whats the best software/program to root it so i can have the smoked glass? And will this ruin anything currently on my phone?
  4. christim

christim DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

3rd link in my signature. Read through that thread.

You want to use rsd lite to put sprecovery on your phone.

You wan tto use sprecovery to back up your current setup so you can go back to it if you don't like where you end up

You then can use sprecovery to follow the instructions in the 2nd link of my thread to install Smoked Glass.

You will lose your current desktop layout. Your contacts will come back because they are sync'd with gmail. If you don't like what got removed you can use sprecovery to put it back.

I recommend using Astro to back up all your install programs to your sdcard. They will come back automatically but you can restore them using Astro and get them back right away. any data stored one your phone will be gone.
  5. P8ntballer789

P8ntballer789 New Member

THANKS SO MUCH!!! Im downloading now as we speak :)