FEMA App for Android Out Before Hurricane Irene; May Halt Our NYC Trip

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
hurricane-irene-space-2.jpg

John Lennon once said something pretty remarkable that I like to quote, "Life is what happens while you are making other plans." It seems that nature may be stepping in to prove that statement in regards to the GalaxyForums.net and DroidForums.net NYC trip to cover the Samsung Mobile Galaxy SII Release Event on Monday the 29th. The storm is getting so bad, that parts of New York City and other areas of the eastern seaboard are being evacuated as a precaution. Because of this, it is very likely that our flight on Sunday to NYC will be cancelled, or at the very least be of questionable risk.

We are not going to rule out that we will be at the event, even if the event doesn't get cancelled itself because of the weather, but for now we will have to play "wait and see." If the storm miraculously abates some time tomorrow, then we will be there to cover the Samsung event. If not, then we will just have to hold out for the next interesting release event in the future.

To indirectly commiserate the impending "storm of doom" FEMA has recently just released an app for Android! The app will surely prove to be useful should a disaster actually occur. It has tons of, "...useful tips, checklists, contact numbers and the latest news for before, during and after a disaster."

Let us intend that it goes completely unneeded this weekend, and from now until the end of time! Here's a pic of the app below, and don't forget to download the app on the Android Market, just in case we actually need it.

fema-android-1.png

Source: AndroidCentral and FEMA

jseah

Reaction score
FYI, the storm isn't expected to hit the NYC area until Sunday morning (National Weather Service has the eye off the coast of Delaware at 8 am Sunday). However, public transit (subways and buses) will be shut down at 12 noon on Saturday. Only certain areas of NYC are under mandatory evacuation, that is those areas fronting water and the beaches that would be prone to flooding or storm surges. Luckily, the time that Irene would be passing NYC would be during low tide, so that should minimize the storm surges.

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was a Katrina survivor....from MS..right in the heart of the storm...I don't wish that on my worst enemy..still picking up the pieces from what it did...But I learned more than it could've ever taken...I lost everything,but had my two kids and us three have been the tightest lil family since..they were all I ever needed..I do miss the house and my studio, but when we were in the couple of shelters, I learned a lot about what really matters and I really am proud for what I learned from that disaster...And btw..New Orleans had the floods from the levee breaking, but As bad as that was, Biloxi, MS where I'm from, was completely leveled...the news mainly showed only New Orleans..but I tell you from experience, and wittness, MS had it much , much worse...Still, I feel for all my fellow brothers and sisters whom suffered the heartache from every inch it hit everywhere!! So..if your near the storm area, take only what you need, and leave way earlier as the traffic killed many peoples plans for evac...Its when people go completely nuts and instinct takes over, its crazy and scary..PLEASE IF ITS HEADED YOUR WAY, PLAY IT SAFE, LEAVE EARLY! I MEAN EARLY! NOW!! If it blows over, so be it, but if it hits, you'll be prepared best you can....thanks hope someone takes the advice!...

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Alastrionia

Sourcery Themer / Designr
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Prayers and nothing but optimistic views for all those involved in this situation
Stay safe and be safe. As droid2drummer said, be prepared, but please don't go nuts :)

jseah

Reaction score
We're about 75 miles further inland from NYC, so no hurricane watch for the area where I live, although they expect between 5-10 inches of rain. The supermarket was packed with people stocking up on stuff though. All the local stores are out of batteries and bottled water.

Willyammer

Reaction score
Don't be such slackers. Haven't you heard of the old standby, the canoe?

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Don't be such slackers. Haven't you heard of the old standby, the canoe?

Or the old old standby, boots.. <g>

And the event has been postponed untill Tues I believe, not 100% of the exact day.

We're supposed to get up to 10 inches of rain Sat night night/Sun Morning just outside of Philly.. we shall see!!

Rather have the 7 feet of snow...

Last edited:

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
We're about 75 miles further inland from NYC, so no hurricane watch for the area where I live, although they expect between 5-10 inches of rain. The supermarket was packed with people stocking up on stuff though. All the local stores are out of batteries and bottled water.

That's how it starts...the empty shelves and panic..Don't panic...lol as hard as it is...I tell you the lesson of mother natures wrath is no joke...You guys be carefull..if they say you'll be fine, I would leave anyway...but I would leave now..not only will you have the storm to deal with, but if you survive you have people you don't know if you can trust right next to you...and my Lord in heaven, NY and all northeastern seaboard is way more populated...Be the first out, and don't wait...that's all I can say..Honestly I would rather hear that everyone left and nothing happened than lives taken...God bless! And my prayers are with all of you up there! Peace!!

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums