Feedr Widget Glassed

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by mguindon, Mar 22, 2010.

1. mguindon

mguindon New Member

After a lot of trial and error I finally figured out how to make a glassed version of the Feedr widget. I'll post it here if anyone's interested. I used metamorph to install it, done the same way as tekhawk described in his helixmod. Put the attached glassfeedr.zip in the androidthemes folder, move com.feedr.apk from data/app to system/app, apply theme in metamorph, reboot and the feedr widget should look like it does in the following screenshot. I might still try and work on it a little bit, maybe change the number in the upper right hand corner, but I'm happy for now because I've been trying to get this for a long time.
  2. TekHawk

TekHawk New Member

damn brovo man how long did it take to get the right numbers to change in hex i tried and tried and gave up after it just stopped working lol
  3. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Fort Huachuca, AZ (Originally from Pittsburgh, PA)
    OMFG you are the man.
  4. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Can you do this same thing with Flight Track Pro?
  5. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

If you move an app to system from data will it still update properly from the market?
  6. TekHawk

TekHawk New Member

Does it have white or black text if the txt isnt black it could take someone less then 10 minutes to do

It can but you have to retheme it and i think even move it back to system after updates
  7. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Yeah it has black text inside the box like FeedR
  8. TekHawk

TekHawk New Member

that sucks means you have to use something like HxD to mess with the xml files I still want to see what his method for finding the right hex to edit was because i tried for over an hour to find it :(
  9. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Ok, that file is in a zip format it seems...only file I can find with the correct name. The other APK is for my Pro upgrade I think.
  10. TekHawk

TekHawk New Member

oh if the flight app has a free version? ill go grab it off market and take a look
  11. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Yeah there is free and pro...I have the pro, I think the pro just interfaces with tripit...I would think the widget stays the same though.
  12. mguindon

mguindon New Member

I spent hours and hours trying to read how to decompile and then recompile the android xml files. Turns out there's a tool to convert them back to human readable xml but no way to convert them back to the binary code that android uses. Finally I gave up on that and decided to try and use a hex editor instead. Wish I had done that first...after about 10 minutes I found that the hex values for the colors are reversed from the way they look in the human readable xml. ie. black is 00 00 00 FF normally but in the hex editor they show up FF 00 00 00. I used a little guess and test and figured out which text color referred to which text and changed them in the hex editor to FF FF FF FF (white). Bingo bango all set. It was definitely useful being able to read the xml in human readable format and compare to the binary in the hex editor though. I also tried to make the feed count in the upper right hand corner transparent by changing the background and text color value's alpha's from FF to 00 but when I reloaded that it wouldn't load the widget...not sure what was wrong there. For anyone looking to do this for other widgets (i'm assuming they have similar setups to feedr) you should be looking for the widget.xml file inside the layout folder inside the res directory. Use a hex editor and search for 08 00 00 1C. I guess that refers to text color. Directly following that should be the hex value for the color itself. So look for FF 00 00 00 if you're looking for black text and change all the zeros to F if you want to change to white.
  13. TekHawk

TekHawk New Member

/facepalm dude.... i forgot about the reverse order part >< no wonder i couldnt find it

how did you decompile them that would make it easier to figure out the values of what to search for :)
  14. mguindon

mguindon New Member

One more question I forgot about. Could anyone with some photoshop skills maybe make a custom widget background. The exact same look as the one I just used but a little bit bigger I guess. The .9.png files stretch but if you look at it the text in the new glassed widget is almost off the edge. I've uploaded the original widget background...if someone could take that and make it glassed without changing the size/shape I would really appreciate it. I included both the glassed version I used and the original white background. I just want one the size of origwidget_bg.9.png but that looks like widget_bg.9.png
  15. TekHawk

TekHawk New Member

I don't think that would make much of a difference from what I have seen

what might work is just cropping more of the transperant background out though
  16. TekHawk

TekHawk New Member

give that a shot
  17. mguindon

mguindon New Member

I used AXMLPrinter2. Just google it I downloaded it from the first link that comes up.
  18. jasonb

jasonb New Member

i just bought FeedR and did this. it looks awesome. thanks for doing this and sharing it with us.

just a tip, leave it in the data/apps directory for 24 hours before moving it and applying the theme. almost immediately after moving it to system/apps with root explorer i got an email notification saying my money was refunded. i guess since the phone didn't see it in data/apps it thought i uninstalled it. i don't want to cheat the dev out of the money i owe him so i have to download it again so it actually keeps the transaction. just a tip for anybody who wants to be honest.
  19. mguindon

mguindon New Member

FeedR is definitely by far my favorite rss reader with a widget for android. My only problem was that it didn't match the rest of my phone. I'm glad other people appreciate it. I still want to do a few more things to it to make it perfect...but I'm too busy now. Enjoy. By the way, that's one hell of an exploit you found there by mistake...hopefully google fixes that so devs don't get screwed and hopefully not too many people read that and get ideas.
  20. jasonb

jasonb New Member

well normally we aren't able to move files around. only if were rooted, so i don't know if google will fix it or not. if it's possible, it might be in their best interest to do so.

it seems most people on here are honest. i for one like to support the devs that put the hard work into these apps. they deserve it.
Search tags for this page

feedr free download droid 4

feedr widget theme