Federal Ban on All Cell Phone Use While Driving Proposed For US

ndtaylor77

Reaction score
Maybe there should be a law that prohibits driving with children in the car. After all, that is immensely more distracting than making a phone call. While your at it, stop putting radios in cars and no more eating in cars either.

huskur

Reaction score
Maybe there should be a law that prohibits driving with children in the car. After all, that is immensely more distracting than making a phone call. While your at it, stop putting radios in cars and no more eating in cars either.

I agree with that 100%.

Here is my view: OK. Mary Jane/John Doe/whoever rear ends someone because they do not have the uncanny ability to multitask. Face it, some people just cannot do it but because these people are irresponsible, I automatically get grouped in with them. That is called "guilt by association". Guess what, just because they cannot rub their stomach and pat their head at the same time doesn't mean that i can't do it. You should be able to use handsfree but I don't like anything hanging from my ear. Luckily my vehicles have bluetooth integrated into the radio but I rarely use it because I normally have passengers that are listening to the radio.

This pisses me off to no end. I absolutely hate being grouped in with others that are inadequate. It's not fair to me but I understand they can't write the laws "just for me". So I used a little brain power and came up with a solution...I went to the doctor, yep. Had him sign a medical waiver for tinted glass to make me legal (told him I suffered from migraines) and had our DMV here in Delaware add it to my registration in case I get pulled over. Took my vehicle and had 18% tint (blocks out 82% of light) on them. Now I can see out but can't be seen inside if I need to make a call or receive one. Also it aids in the summer heat and protects the interior so its a double blessing.

doublejack

Reaction score
Even if it is banned, I will continue to talk via the use of a hands free device. I think this is a clear case of the government overstepping, and trampling on people's rights. There's no way an officer can prove I was on a call if I'm using a hands free device.

Someone clearly hasn't thought this through, either. Will OnStar go bankrupt because of this? Will we no longer be able to buy cars with integrated hands free bluetooth? Those are SAFETY devices... so a ban would actually be making the road more dangerous.

This proposed ban takes an absurd stance.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Even if it is banned, I will continue to talk via the use of a hands free device.

You'll be in the minority. Most will be holding their cell phones in their hands like they do now. :biggrin:

This is one of those laws that'll be hard, if not impossible, to catch. I could see some sort of "tattle tale" system where you photograph someone talking and send it to a site, but then YOU'D be using your phone, and then....ah forget it.

Ziggie

Reaction score
You know my position if you've read this thread.

It is now devolving into a pervasive misunderstanding of individual rights and juvenile nonsense. I don't care nor does anyone else (realistically speaking) if you light yourself on fire because you can. I care when you take my safety in your hands.

These mindless rants about how good a driver you are while everyone sucks, about how you won't let "the man" tell you what to do, or how you've already figured a way around any law that gets passed all miss the point: driving while talking on a cellphone (much less the texting morons) is not as safe as driving without talking on a cellphone.

You, personally, are not the issue; we all are. There are less than 1% of us who have ever made a cellphone call that saved a life. There are much less than 1% of us that made a cellphone call that saved a life while driving.

Whether a law gets passed or not, try not to confuse what's convenient for you with what's safe for everyone.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Ziggie said:
You know my position if you've read this thread.

It is now devolving into a pervasive misunderstanding of individual rights and juvenile nonsense. I don't care nor does anyone else (realistically speaking) if you light yourself on fire because you can. I care when you take my safety in your hands.

These mindless rants about how good a driver you are while everyone sucks, about how you won't let "the man" tell you what to do, or how you've already figured a way around any law that gets passed all miss the point: driving while talking on a cellphone (much less the texting morons) is not as safe as driving without talking on a cellphone.

You, personally, are not the issue; we all are. There are less than 1% of us who have ever made a cellphone call that saved a life. There are much less than 1% of us that made a cellphone call that saved a life while driving.

Whether a law gets passed or not, try not to confuse what's convenient for you with what's safe for everyone.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

Agree! When you know someone who has been crippled due to texting, you tend to think differently. I also hear way too many ppl claim they can drive fine while texting but get stuck driving behind them, watching them weave all over the road, erratic speeds, it is hard to convince me that they drive better without the phone in their hand...yet they will still insist they can.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

Raydee35

Reaction score
People think that we have a right to drive when in fact we are given the privelage to drive.

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
NY is a state that has a ban on using cell phones already. At first they could only give you a ticket for it if they originally pulled you over for something else, but now they can give a ticket for just cell phone use. I'm way okay with it, as long as they get that most smartphones also double as a GPS or a music player, and they're probably out and attached to the car dash/windshield and on.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
...I care when you take my safety in your hands...

...driving while talking on a cellphone (much less the texting morons) is not as safe as driving without talking on a cellphone...

Don't we take others' safety into our hands every time we hit the road, regardless of what's going on in the car?
And based on your description, why stop at cellphone usage?

The problem isn't cellphones. The problem is people and their inability to focus on what they should be focusing on while they're behind the wheel - and I'm as guilty as the next guy. If you want to regulate cellphone usage, that's fine. But get the list going of other driving distractions that will be next on the hitlist of driving regulations.

Should someone be ticketed every time he/she reaches to grab something in the seat next to them? Looks away from where they should be looking? Fiddles with the radio/gps/etc? And talk about impossible to judge...

sent from my phone

ndtaylor77

Reaction score
If you can't talk on a cell phone in the car with a hands free device then you're a moron. It's a simple is that. How is that different than talking to a passenger in your car? Or singing along with the radio?

huskur

Reaction score
I am not going to "single anyone out" in this thread but if you feel threatened while you are driving your vehicle due to others using cell phones then ---- ride the bus---- you should be safe there

Having kids in the car is a worse distraction than talking on the phone.

Just so we are on the same page .... IMO.... texting is the biggie here. Now that is what takes your eyes off the road. No talking

silverfang77

Reaction score
Talking may not take your eyes off the road like texting, but it still takes your mind off.

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk

Josefius

Reaction score
Talking on the phone with a headset is Ok with me, it's the texting I have an issue with.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Talking may not take your eyes off the road like texting, but it still takes your mind off.

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk

True, but how many other things do that too?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Josefius said:
Talking on the phone with a headset is Ok with me, it's the texting I have an issue with.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I agree and believe the legislation may be to require handsfree. Texting is the real problem...very hard to look at what your texting and look at the road at the same time. I have no choice but to use handsfree because I drive standard... a hand on the steering wheel and the other one to shift gears does not leave me a hand to hold a phone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums