Federal Ban on All Cell Phone Use While Driving Proposed For US

Discussion in 'Android News' started by cereal killer, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Beardface

Beardface Member

I'm all for a law that bans texting while operating a moving vehicle. All for it. (i.e. you can do it in a car, as long as you're either at a stoplight or stopsign, or pulled over). Its incredibly dangerous, and takes 95% of the attention of the driver away from driving. However, to go as far as banning all cellphone use in cars? Way, way too far. Cellphones have gone beyond just the talk and text that they were in the past. Now, they're also music players as well as GPS devices, among others that might not be relevant to driving. Too many important things are on a phone that would impact the efficiency of driving by eliminating ALL use in cars, that it doesn't make sense to do so.

Plus, if you eliminate all use in cars, including talking (and hands free), then shouldn't that also carry over to CB radio? You can't tell me emergency responders aren't distracted when talking on those. How about the industries that have grown BECAUSE they're able to be on call, answer their phone, and quickly get on site for an appointment (taxis, repair, maintenance, sales, realtors, etc)? Those industries would be severely hurt by passing a law like this.
  2. RyanPm40

RyanPm40 Member

Honestly, I don't see the big deal about talking on the phone in the car. It's not really distracting (to me anyways...). I do it, my parents do it, and everyone I know does it. Texting, on the other hand, is dangerous and should be illegal.

Also, to people saying that due to being an adult, they should be able to make the decision of what they do in their car or not: Don't you realize that you could end up killing someone else on the road and not just yourself?h
  3. Ollie

Ollie Active Member

This would have to go a step further if you were allowed to be hands free. Radio makers would have to be forced to require Bluetooth components in all of their newest head units and vehicle manufacturers would have to build in mics and steering wheel controls (I have this in my vehicle and it works seamlessly) Otherwise, it will never stop. Voice activation is far enough along where you don't even have to touch your phone anymore.

I'm really anti-big brother, but this is out of control.

The man pushing this has not made it clear yet if hands free would be allowed. Ironically, last year he shot this down.
  4. bens42608

bens42608 New Member

I'm guilty of sending a quick text while sitting at a red light but I am so sick of these old people not watching where they're going and cutting me off/doing half the speed limit/sitting at the red light and I look n they're trying to text or they're blabbing on the phone. If people could type a quick text or voice command while being careful, this wouldn't be an issue but people are not smart. The thing I hate most is the old people that just learned how to text n they're driving while staring at their phone, concentrating on figuring out how to send a text. If you can't be cool n do it real quick, then u need to wait until you get out the car. I don't allow my ma to text while I'm in her car, although it wouldn't bother.me if it was one of my friends. Besides for the fact that I care about my ma getting hurt more than mmy friends- I just don't think anyone over 30 has any business trying to mult-task driving with any new fangled hardware lol
    As for talking; that should be fine but now its not because of all the old people that can't use their brain to talk while concentrating on the road- their speech takes brain priority over driving

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  5. jntdroid

jntdroid DF Super Moderator Premium Member

Jungle King - I'm right there with you.

If I'm alone and pick up my cell phone to answer or place a call, I make an intentional effort to be more aware of what's going on around me, and while I'm using the phone, I make an intentional effort to focus more on the road and my surroundings than the call - to the point where, often, I'll have to say something like "hey say that again, I was *insert driving action here*".

If I'm driving and not using my cell phone, I tend to be more comfortable in my environment - especially if I'm listening to talk radio or something that tends to engage my mind in a subtle manner. Heck, even if I'm using a BT earpiece I'm more complacent and more distracted.

A part of this practice is b/c the awareness of the danger of talking on the phone is spread constantly, and therefore at the forefront of "issues" when it comes to driving distractions.

The underlying problem with cellphones is that they engage us in a conversation with a party outside of our car's environment. That's why conversations with people in your car are, statistically, less distracting. Therefore, the underlying problem with talking on a cellphone is where one places his/her mental focus.

I can understand the reasoning behind this law as it's a "hot topic" issue in our society (and our lawmakers tend to like to stay in office, and therefore focus on issues that are "hot topics"). I'm not even necessarily against it, b/c I feel like most people get on the phone and let themselves be swallowed up in their conversation, ignoring the world around them. However, I worry that once they clamp down on this, what will be next?
  6. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy Premium Member

Talk about serendipity, take a look at today's The Big Picture...

Big Picture.gif

Most, if not all, of my calls (via BT) are very short and more like:

Me- "I'm almost there"

Them- "OK"

Me- "Bye"
    1 person likes this.
  7. Einsteindks

Einsteindks Member

If folks wouldn't drive so close, properly adjust their outside mirrors, stop treating the act of driving as a contest, actually DRIVE instead of just plain 'go somewhere', give driving it's true priority when multi-tasking, we'd have far FAR fewer accidents. Ban cell phone use? May as well ban every non-driving act, for they ALL 'distract' the driver. And isn't the act of opperating a motor vehicle multi-tasking in itself? This whole thing started with the advent of the automatic transmission. It's time we give our spare hand something worthwhile to do -- shifting gears!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  8. bens42608

bens42608 New Member

There's a few other things u could be doing with that spare hand ;) lmao I'm sorry but I had to say that :/

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  9. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Just a friendly reminder. This is a tough topic to respond to without being political, but please be careful what you post because if it bashes a candidate or the President, it will be deleted. I know we all have our beliefs and options (I certainly do) but please keep it inside the rules - political discussions are off-limits.
  10. silverfang77

silverfang77 Member

My belief is government should stay out of people's private affairs as long as what the person does isn't dangerous to others. Distracted driving is a hazard and a menace to everyone on the road and doesn't fall into the category of private affairs.
  11. anewton

anewton New Member

Because...you're somehow BETTER than everyone else, and the usual rules don't apply to you. We get it... (rolls eyes)
  12. jntdroid

It has nothing to do with being better. It's simply realizing you're on the phone and making an effort to focus more on your surroundings than on your phone conversation.

sent from my phone
  13. Jungle King 76

Jungle King 76 New Member

Glad someone gets it. Too many less intelligent users just make smart remarks when they can't comprehend something.

See your other list and you captured exactly what I was saying. I never did I was better or whatever, just that if I am alone in the car I tend to get complacent and less focused.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk
  14. Josefius

Josefius Member

I hope this goes through, so annoying in traffic. Too many morons who don't at least use a Bluetooth headset. I don't know how many times I've seen people driving at night looking down at their phone in their lap face illuminated not watching the road.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  15. Ziggie

Ziggie New Member

The sad thing is you just don't get it.

Ridiculous statements about increased levels of concentration because of cellphone usage does not make it true.

Driving while on the phone is more distracting than driving without being on the phone.

Find a study anywhere that states otherwise.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums
  16. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid New Member

Me too... the number of times I've watched a person talking or texting on their phone and driving worse than a drunk is enough proof for me that it is too dangerous and too difficult for the general public to handle.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums
  17. jntdroid

Unless, while not on the phone, you tend to be more relaxed, since you're not doing anything but driving - something you're used to doing day in and day out, and could easily get complacent about. Then, you pick up a phone, and realize "Hey I better pay closer attention to what I'm doing now", so you're constantly checking your surroundings and actually becoming more aware of what's going on around you because the cellphone has taken you out of that state of complacency.

The problem isn't the phone. The problem is a person's (and I'm speaking to myself on this as well) inability to keep the mental focus where it should be - and anything can take away from that.
  18. Xplorer4x4

Xplorer4x4 New Member

In regards to the police, I feel they should be allowed to use there phones while driving if it is businesses related, same for the radio. These are tools they need to do there jobs. Sure some people need there phones for work, but there job is not that of the police to protect and serve the community.

However, I do generally agree with your feeling on the law. We have to draw the line some where. Seat belts are a great example! Why should I have to pay a fine if I get caught not wearing my seat belt? If I die in an MVA because I did not have my seat belt on it is my fault and it is not going to directly effect others involved in the MVA. However, talking on the phone can be enough of a distraction where the cause and effect could jeopardize some one else's life.

How can this take money away? The police will enforce the law and you are given a ticket. You have to pay the fine/ticket and then that money goes in to the city/county/state allowing law enforcement, for example, to buy new cop cars. The money can go to the fire department to buy, lease or repair the trucks they need to minimize property damage and save lives. The money can go towards public schools being bale to buy new text books or, in this day and age, new laptop or repair broken laptops.

The state law does not over ride it completely. If it is illegal by city/county law, it is still illegal in that city/county. Look at medical marijuana for example. It is illegal on a federal level, but yet it is legal on both a city and state level in some places. In those places you can use Medical Marijuana legally according to the state government but not the federal government.

I suspect you are to focused on the title rather then the details of the article. In the article it says "The proposed ban applies to any vehicle, on any road, in any state, and covers both talking and texting with a cellphone. " Based on this statement it does not state that using other functions such as navigation will not be allowed. None the less I have to dispute your estimate of 75%. I think the number should be higher :p. I would say that, at least where I live, that should be about 90% of drivers, and surprisingly a good majority are not using a cell phone. I could go on and on when it comes to bad drivers, but 1 example that stand out in my mind, I once was traveling on a 4 lane road near the movie theater by my house. A woman starts to pull off the side street that serves as the main entrance/exit from the theater and make a left turn to go east but pulls out in to the center most westbound lane of traffic and stops. She is stopped in the lane for oncoming traffic at a very busy stretch of road, and looks at me crazy because she is in my lane and I was flashing my brights at her(in the day time) and honking repeatedly to GTFO of the oncoming traffic lanes! She was not even on a phone.

Generally speaking in regards to the article itself, a complete ban is probably the easiest way to go. I feel that the general idea here is good, but rather then out right ban talking on the phone while driving, implement some sort of big brother feature that, for example, the cell phone detects the user is driving the vehicle, it will be limited to a 30-60 second conversation. This allows for quick simple calls illustrated as examples in this thread such as "pick up this and that from the grocery on the way home," or "don't forget that (insert kids name here) football practice ends at 4PM instead of 5PM today. I generally dislike the big brother aspect but in this case I will gladly put up with it because I keep my phone conversations short and sweet when driving anyways, and because it minimizes the maount of time the user is going to be interacting with the phone while driving. Granted some people will find a way to get around it which might force a complete ban. Radios are often blamed as a major distraction, but generally I can manipulate my almost completely by touch alone. I may glance down for a second just to ensure I have my finger on the right button, but generally I know exactly how far it is to move my hand from my center console shifter to my radio volume knobs or track buttons. Now the radio is a bit different story but that is simply because I never listen to the radio and only play CDs.
  19. BlownSi05

BlownSi05 New Member

This issue I have with creating a new law like this is that the state and federal governments are still not looking at the root cause of most accidents.

How about the states and federal government come together to improve driver education and testing. Lets make it more difficult to get and keep a license. Hey, you didn't use a blinker to change lanes or make a turn?....you get pulled over and ticketed, no questions. If you can't merge properly on the interstate, you don't pass your driving test.

Plain and simple, it is too easy to get a drivers license and keep it. Not only that, the traffic laws that are already in place are not enforced.
  20. Ziggie

Ziggie New Member

+1

Well said.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums
    2 people like this.