Featured: Verizon writes to FCC, explains how much they care

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
[h=1]Featured: Verizon writes to FCC, explains how much they care[/h] http://androidheadlines.com/author/randy-arrowood

I’ve been a Verizon Wireless customer since the beginning of time. My first cell phone account was with Cellular One in Cincinnati, which became AirTouch Cellular through a buyout. AirTouch Cellular merged with Vodafone in 1999 and later that same year, Verizon and Vodafone entered into a joint venture that merged their cellular assets into Verizon Wireless. I’ve literally been a Verizon Wireless customer since day one.
Nobody needs to explain to me that Verizon Wireless has always been at the very top of the carrier suck chart. Nobody.
There are those people, however, that have never experienced how much Verizon truly sucks. They’ve never experienced BREW on a plain old cell phone, or had so many bull**** “system” apps installed on their phone that the thing would barely run. Verizon sucks. Always have, always will.
In attempt to demonstrate their suckage to the uninitiated, Verizon wrote a letter to the FCC in response to a Block C spectrum complaint concerning Verizon’s use of locked bootloaders on Android devices. I’m not going to get into all of the details of the Block C spectrum auction, the rules that were placed on the usage of that spectrum or whether or not Verizon is in violation of those rules. Not gonna do it.
Instead, I’m going to translate two of the statements from the VZW letter in a way that only a long suffering Verizon customer can.
Statement 1:
(Verizon) “has established a standard of excellence in customer experience with our branded devices”
What VZW is actually saying here is that they prefer a wireless world where they and they alone determine what you can or cannot do with your device. For example, there was a time when VZW sold Android devices that came with Bing services pre-installed instead of Google. That wouldn’t have been such a big problem, but in the beginning these devices couldn’t even find the Google apps for search or maps in Android Market. VZW blocked them.
That’s their idea of a standard of excellence in customer experience. You’ll use what we want you to use on your phone and if you don’t like it, well, you can sit and spin.
I’m told that Bing-Droids were far and away the most returned devices ever.
Statement 2: (the most outrageous statement ever)
“an open bootloader could prevent Verizon Wireless from providing the same level of customer experience and support because it would allow users to change the phone or otherwise modify the software and potentially, negatively impact how the phone connects with the network.”
The customer experience that Verizon is trying to protect here is their included apps cash cow. I rooted my original Droid 1 for one reason and one reason only: to rid myself of all of the pre-installed bull**** apps that Verizon was paid to load on my phone. I swear, there was an update to my device that I am convinced was sent down only to add the battery sucking Slacker app to my phone.
Well, it doesn’t fit with Verizon’s business model to have an end user be able to root their phone and remove these crapps. Ultimately that impacts the amount of money that Verizon makes because, as in the Slacker example, Verizon gets a cut for every user that signs up in the Slacker app. They’re paid up front to include the app, they get a cut of every user that subscribes to the app or both.
The other part of that statement, the part about negatively impacting the network, well that refers to people who root their phones and install tethering apps to connect their other devices to their mobile Internet connection.
It isn’t that I support the notion that tethering apps are theft of service, it’s that if every person that was using a tethering app instead chose to pay Verizon for tethering access, that wouldn’t be a problem for Verizon. It’s only when a customer can sidestep the outrageous fees for services that VZW cares about network impact from tethered devices.
If Verizon truly cared about the customer experience, their 4G network would actually work. Instead, I’ve suffered through no less than six 4G outages that lasted for more than four hours each. And contrary to the bull**** lies that they post on Twitter during these outages, when 4G goes down 3G goes with it on 4G devices.

Sources: Droid-Life/Android Headlines The Image: Android Community

Natey2

Reaction score
I believe Consumer Reports consistently rates Verizon as the best Carrier. Who would you consider to be better than Verizon?

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I probably wasted more time reading that then the FCC will.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I believe Consumer Reports consistently rates Verizon as the best Carrier. Who would you consider to be better than Verizon?

+1. Can't really give much credibility to someone who says Verizon "sucks"...because they don't....

OP
WoZzY

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
+1. Can't really give much credibility to someone who says Verizon "sucks"...because they don't....

I agree verizon offers a great service but there answer for locking bootloaders is horrible

Natey2

Reaction score
I agree verizon offers a great service but there answer for locking bootloaders is horrible

The hacker/rooter community should start their own wireless service, with:

Unlimited minutes
Unlimited texting
Unlimited data with unlimited tethering (heh heh heh)
Unlocked bootloader
GSM and CDMA phone support
4G that actually works most of the time
Custom ROMs downloadable from their app store, with one-click installation
Various downloadable Android versions that you can selectively install.
No pre-loaded bloatware.

All for around $50/month, with no contracts.

Did I miss anything? :)

Even I will root my phone and sign up :^)

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score

I have used them all and Sprint has better CS hands down.

MIUI 2012.2.29

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

Unlimited minutes
Unlimited texting
Unlocked bootloader
No pre-loaded bloatware.

haha, sounds like a dream...as in wishful thinking. But I know what you're saying, it seems the hacker community won't be happy unless carriers pretty much go bankrupt trying to please them!

I have used them all and Sprint has better CS hands down.

MIUI 2012.2.29

Yeah Sprint and VZW are tops in CS, but Sprint loses in network reliability I believe, and badly.

OP
WoZzY

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

Unlimited minutes
Unlimited texting
Unlocked bootloader
No pre-loaded bloatware.

I have virgin mobile now unlocked bootloader with a motorola Product unlimtied texting /Unlimited data & 300 mins .....but you can spend 50$ & have unlimited everything

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
IMO, the reason verizon doesn't want open bootloaders and nazi like control over data and everything ele we pay for is because if we had full control, we woulnd't be upgrading nearly as often. My DX is somewhat locked down even with 2nd init support. But because of 2nd init, I have yet to buy a new phone and probably wont' until I see a phone that is worthy of the upgrade. CM9 on my phone has extended the life of it a ton.

vatothe0

Reaction score
I have virgin mobile now unlocked bootloader with a motorola Product unlimtied texting /Unlimited data & 300 mins .....but you can spend 50$ & have unlimited everything
There you go folks. Stop your whining and get VM.

Root/ROM/Tether to your heart's content and leave the people that are fine with Verizon alone.