feasting on gingerbread

PhDCow

Reaction score
LOVE the Quick Settings drop down menu. It got rid of all of my widgets except brightness and ringer (I can't give up my Curvefish ones).

Being able to turn off wi-fi AND 3G rocks. Now I don't have worry about notifications coming through at night.

nikecar

Reaction score
LOVE the Quick Settings drop down menu. It got rid of all of my widgets except brightness and ringer (I can't give up my Curvefish ones).

Being able to turn off wi-fi AND 3G rocks. Now I don't have worry about notifications coming through at night.
I like that too. I'm going to remove the WIFI, brightness, gps and whatever that 4th one was on one of the home pages. i'm glad it now shows settings too.

I've been trying to clean up some real estate on my home pages to organize things better. I managed to find an app called Apps Organizer which allows me to create and rename folders on my home screen. I didn't like the native folders as i never found a way to rename them.

mghokie7

Reaction score

I like that too. I'm going to remove the WIFI, brightness, gps and whatever that 4th one was on one of the home pages. i'm glad it now shows settings too.

I've been trying to clean up some real estate on my home pages to organize things better. I managed to find an app called Apps Organizer which allows me to create and rename folders on my home screen. I didn't like the native folders as i never found a way to rename them.

You rename a folder by first opening up the folder, then press and hold on very top where it says "folder" until a rename folder box appears. Enter the desired name and press ok.

Lye

Reaction score
I rooted and installed CM7 is there a way I can install this instead of CM7?

OP
B

bluemoon

Reaction score
Pros so far:

Increase in already excellent speed, new quick settings tab in notification bar, more informative & user-friendly stuff in the battery & applications sections of the settings menu, doubled the number of my current apps that I could send to sd (no app update required), a few new customization options.

Cons so far:

Had to reset the notification sound for text messages, had defaulted to one of the stock options.

Pretty darn happy with it so far. As mentioned, nothing earth shattering. But personally, I didn't want it to drastically change the phone because it was so good already. Was a little worried when I hit the accept button on the update... feared it might screw up a great thing (think Droid X gingerbread update). Gotta tip my hat to HTC/google/Verizon at this point.

One last thing to keep an eye on though, & it's a big one for most of us: effect on battery life. Can't discern any change either way so far, but probably need a few days to really pass judgment on that particular item.

DrElwinRansom

Reaction score
The thing I couldn't endure from GB ROMs on my OG Droid was the constant homescreen redraws. I was afraid the OTA would screw that up on my Dinc2, and...well, it does redraw frequently, but it actually performs the redraws so quickly that it's a non-issue. Phew!

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I rooted and installed CM7 is there a way I can install this instead of CM7?

I think you would have to probably find a way to go back to stock unrooted and take the update. Also there is no way currently to re-root after updating to stock unrooted Gingerbread.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am glad HTC did y'all right. The Gingerbread OTA update from Motorola has been fraught with issues.

Apex 2.0 Revolution

Reaction score
Ok, the clock and weather widget makes a noise now, and i cant figure out how to turn it off but keep the animation. Anyone else encountered this?

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok, the clock and weather widget makes a noise now, and i cant figure out how to turn it off but keep the animation. Anyone else encountered this?

Click on the weather to open it. Then hit menu and uncheck sound effects.

dr_cheah

Reaction score
Quick question, I temp-rooted to freeze some bloatware. Am I going to have to unfreeze those before I can update?

YoungDrea

Reaction score
Any way of choosing the default home launcher? I want to stick to my Go Launcher theme but keeps bringing me back to the Sense home. Also, I don't notice a different keyboard?? Other than that no real difference (yet).

Card

Reaction score
There's something to be said for good OTA updates.

Yes, I loved rooting my phone, trying out new ROMs and kernels, and generally having fun with it. There's really something special about taking your device and making it "your own" with mods. However, there is also something to be said for flat-out stability. The OTA Gingerbread update went quickly, smoothly, didn't require any back-ups, data wipes, trial-and-error. Hit the button, enjoy the new software. I haven't had to spent an evening trouble-shooting or figuring out which apps play nice and which ones force close on me.

I'm happy with the update. Will I go down the root/mod path sometime down the road? Probably. But for now, I'm enjoying the phone for what it is, GB and all! :)

nikecar

Reaction score

You rename a folder by first opening up the folder, then press and hold on very top where it says "folder" until a rename folder box appears. Enter the desired name and press ok.

Hot Danny. I tried it and never worked. Maybe I had to hold longer. Thanks