1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

FCC Tells the Wireless Carriers to Be Prepared; Soon will Test Data Speed Claims

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Sep 6, 2012.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

Here is some welcome news. Have you ever wondered why your wireless data speeds don't ever seem to come close to the maximum, or sometimes even the median, that the manufacturer advertises? Most of the time it' simply network saturation, but sometimes it's still debatable as to whether our service is what our carriers claim. Apparently, the FCC wants to find out the reality of this for consumers. They plan to have the public help them do performance testing on wireless carrier networks to see if everything measures up to the marketing claims. Here's the full press release,

2. Narsil

Narsil Active Member

Excellent! I'd love to see something like this happen with home internet also. My FiOs is never even close to what they claim I should be getting. I'm lucky to get half the bandwidth for which I'm paying. :angry:
  3. NeoPhoenixTE

NeoPhoenixTE New Member

I hope this means an app we can download on our phone to help with this test. No better way to test the network's performance than at end-user level I figure.
  4. Big Ry

Big Ry New Member

Yeah. LTE has never been too bad for me (Baltimore is much slower than blacksburg though :/ ), but land lines are robbing us!!! I average like 2Mbps down on my "20Mbps" Comcast cable internet! And every time I call and complain, BOOM it goes up to like 15-18Mbps...for a day. And they claim they don't throttle... BS!!!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  5. LoudRam

LoudRam Well-Known Member

If the FCC institutes guidelines as to what constitutes 4g speed, AT&T might have some explaining to do to their customers. Like why have they been lied to all this time?

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums
  6. Big Ry

Big Ry New Member

I thought the ITC did that? And it was kind of a gray area, hence AT&T's ability to blatantly lie and rebrand their 3G network as "4G".

7. LoudRam

We have Comcast and we are on one of the tiers that they just doubled and our speed did double. On my desktop and laptop (wired not wifi) I'm getting 50 Mbps down. My wifi seems to be limited to no more than 20 Mbps on both my laptop and my phone. I used Speedtest for all tests.

8. LoudRam

I thought the FCC didn't have a standard yet. I'll look it up when I get a chance because I'm not 100% sure.

9. LoudRam

I found this so far.

Consumer Watchdog Says FCC Plan To Measure Mobile Data Speeds Falls Short; Group Stresses Need For Full Disclosure Requirements For Carriers' Advertising - Yahoo! News

Just some small parts...

Citing deceptive and confusing advertising by mobile phone companies concerning data speeds,
    Consumer Watchdog last month petitioned the FCC to require wireless carriers to disclose actual
    network data speeds in advertisements and at the point of sale.
    The nonprofit, nonpartisan group told the FCC that technical speed standards for "4G" mobile
    technology are universally ignored by U.S. cell phone companies, which now promise "faster, 4G"
    speeds in virtually every advertisement, "either without actually making improvements to existing
    products and services or without disclosing the meaning of 'faster.'

and...

Consumer Watchdog's petition pointed to AT&T's advertising of the iPhone 4S as an example of
    4G/data speed marketplace abuse. The petition said:

"In January 2012, AT&T began marketing the iPhone 4S as being a 4G phone, even though Apple
    represents it as 3G -- a fact that was reflected on the phone itself: when connected to the AT&T
    network, a '3G' icon appeared on the screen. Then, in March 2012, the iPhone's software was
    suddenly updated so the screen displayed a '4G' icon. Nothing else about the phone or AT&T's
    network had changed, yet AT&T immediately began an advertising campaign flaunting the phone's
    improved, faster 4G speeds."
  10. xeene

xeene Well-Known Member

comcast does the opposite for us, they sell us 30mbps internet but the actual speed is constantly at 36mbps.
  11. Big Ry

Big Ry New Member

You guys have got to be kidding. I've had Comcast for over 3 years now on 3 different accounts. Its the same BS with that company every time. They screw up literally everything they do, and they rape you in the process. The only reason I don't go with anyone else is cause Comcast is a monopoly so I have no other options for HSI. I could live without TV...