FCC Requests Comments from the Public Regarding AT&T/T-Mobile Merger

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
FCC-logo_thumb_att_tmobile.png

The United States FCC is currently considering the AT&T acquisition of T-Mobile, and has created an online Electronic Comment Filing System, to find out what the general public thinks of it. You can head over to the link below and leave your opinion on whether the AT&T buyout of T-Mobile would be good or bad for you as a consumer and the industry as a whole. We don't want to steer you in a certain direction, but most of us hold the opinion that this merger would be bad for the industry and consumers. The folks at AndroidPolice summed it up nicely with the following points:
  • A lack of competition resulting from fewer, larger carriers may result in less innovation and increased prices.
  • Both carriers’ 4G HSPA+ bands are incompatible, risking loss of coverage for T-Mobile handsets once AT&T LTE starts rolling out
  • Only one major carrier will be buying GSM handsets, meaning they will have the lion’s share of control over the GSM devices that make it to the U.S. market
Ultimately, with AT&T in control of more Androids than ever, it could also hurt the developing Android market as well, since AT&T doesn't exactly have the greatest track record with Androids or customer service.

Regardless of your perspective, sound off in this thread and go make it public at the FCC link. Make sure you choose The AT&T docket #11-65.

FCC Electronic Consumer Filing System
Source: Android.net via AndroidPolice

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
2260 filings and counting... it is going up quite fast. Wonder what that number will be like at the end of the day.

Big Dawg 23

Reaction score
2260 filings and counting... it is going up quite fast. Wonder what that number will be like at the end of the day.

After a week or so it will not pile up quickly. Many of the against will be people with old My Fave plans or data plans that are so cheap they don't want an increase. IE T-Zones data plans on iPhones on the T-Mo network. The others will be using "Crippled" Android phones.

Big Ry

Reaction score
Doesn't have the greatest track record for customer service? They are ranked number 1...or at least they were when I worked there. And being a salesman, I called CS easily 10-20 times a day. They were always pleasant to deal with.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

djsiva

Reaction score
Doesn't have the greatest track record for customer service? They are ranked number 1...or at least they were when I worked there. And being a salesman, I called CS easily 10-20 times a day. They were always pleasant to deal with.

I'm not trying to pick a fight, but pretty much every customer service survey for the last several years has showing VZW at the top. I also worked for AT&T Wireless for quite some time, but still think VZW customer service is superior.

Nate

TheOldFart

Reaction score

AT&T and Sprint have been fighting for the bottom spot in customer satisfaction. The last I saw, AT&T beat out Sprint for the bottom. Perhaps customer satisfaction rankings don't correspond to customer service, as a company with rotten phone service could still have the nicest CS people to talk to. However, when it comes to the total package, AT&T is no where near the top.

'AT&T is now the worst carrier' - Consumer Reports - Dec. 6, 2010