FCC Plans to Publish telemarketer Phone Numbers to Help Us Block Them

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Does Sarah sound cute? Ask for her number.
if Sarah wasn't a computer recorded voice that transfers me to run or Erik or Steve I would. I talked with this girl at my bank on the phone for like 30 minutes one time. I called to reactivate my card and we ended up taking about swtor and video games.

I ended the conversation with, well I'm sure you live in another state and I don't want you to get in trouble but you're looking at my name and email on your screen... I'm sure you've got facebook and I'm the only one with my name on facebook... I'll talk to you later

she never did

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
analyst: "hi, sir, I work with ML, do you have a broker?"

me: "what's your view on China and what strategy would you recommend to hedge my exposure against a hard-landing?"

analyst: "I have several blue chip stocks I can recommend for you"

me: "I don't invest in individual stocks"

analyst: "we have some excellent mutual funds we can recommend as well"

me: "I stick almost exclusively with ETF's"

analyst: "if you'd prefer, we can discuss an asset allocation strategy"

me: "that's what I do at the hedge fund I work for"

analyst: "oh, well I guess you probably don't need an advisor then"

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I keep getting one that says they're cardholder services ..but they want me to give them the card info...unfortunately its worked on several older people in the area..

And I agree..an address would be nicer than a phone number LOL

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I'll ask for an address next time.

Conechaser

Reaction score
Not sure all of the details as I live in TN, but I know that the bank I work for has branches in Indiana and they are not allowed to call any clients w/ an Indiana address because of a law they recently passed barring sales calls. I'm hopeful more states will follow their lead and make it illegal everywhere.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Not sure all of the details as I live in TN, but I know that the bank I work for has branches in Indiana and they are not allowed to call any clients w/ an Indiana address because of a law they recently passed barring sales calls. I'm hopeful more states will follow their lead and make it illegal everywhere.
Depends on your states do not call/pander laws.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
So tired of this phone call I get every day from a pre-recorded message about lowering my interest rate on my new home. So looking forward to this.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Tonik

Reaction score
Not sure how this is going to work. 99 percent of the telemarketers....the bad ones...are faking their Caller ID. It is trivial to do so, heck our Cisco phone system at work does it. And they are using the phone numbers of legit companies when they spoof.

They have the laws in place to go after these folks, and the penalties are high. They need to start enforcing them. I see this going the same way spam has gone. Try and find a technological solution for a problem that needs stiff fines and prison sentences enforced.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Not sure how this is going to work. 99 percent of the telemarketers....the bad ones...are faking their Caller ID. It is trivial to do so, heck our Cisco phone system at work does it. And they are using the phone numbers of legit companies when they spoof.

They have the laws in place to go after these folks, and the penalties are high. They need to start enforcing them. I see this going the same way spam has gone. Try and find a technological solution for a problem that needs stiff fines and prison sentences enforced.
yes let's solve all of America's problems with jail. cause that's worked so great for the past 30 years.

stiff fines but no jail our penal system is already overcrowded enough.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
There is an "ambulance chaser" lawyer in Atlanta offering to get you $1,500.00 per call if the same number has called like 3 times or something. That's actually the law, you can sue.

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
The biggest problem I see with what on the surface seems great is what the FCC thinks are spammers. They don't include politicians, non-profit (Viet Nam vets pickup truck(up to 10 calls a day), religious groups, and anyone who claims they have done business with them at some point in the past (including answering one of their calls apparently). Whole thing is a sad and terrible joke.

Claps1775

Reaction score
Well, weekly lists will help since a lot of these robo-callers are changing numbers constantly (one service kept calling my google voice number - must have blocked at least half a dozen numbers of theirs over the course of a few months).

But the other issue is the worst offenders aren't exactly on the up-and-up, and in many cases are probably overseas and using wifi calling. So I'm not sure how the FCC list is going to include the worst offenders unless it's crowd sourced or based on complaints.

Still nice to see the FCC do something productive instead of trying to regulate the internet like a 1930's telecom.
Over seas calling is a way they can charge us for the calling. Not in my phone book or do not know the number. Goes to voicemail.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure that this will actually work for blocking all companies. A lot use VOIP now and generate their calls as if coming from a local number.