FCC Plans to Publish telemarketer Phone Numbers to Help Us Block Them

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
annoyed-by-telemarketer.jpeg

This story is actually from a few days ago, but we didn't quite get to it. It's still pretty cool news, even a few days later, so just in case you haven't heard it...

It looks like the FCC is finally doing something about telemarketers that can have a serious impact. They plan to publish the phone numbers of telemarketers on a weekly basis. Their concept is that by publishing the numbers, developers can create automated apps which can more effectively bock annoying spam calls before we even get them.

Obviously, this primarily would work for folks with cell phones, but the FCC also indicated they are working on a solution for landline phones. Finally, we can start to cut down and possibly eliminate robocalling!

Source: FCC

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Seriously, if one more company calls me at work on my cell asking to buy a warranty for a truck I don't even own anymore. I might go Rampage on them.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Seriously, if one more company calls me at work on my cell asking to buy a warranty for a truck I don't even own anymore. I might go Rampage on them.
I've had about 3 of these a week.

"Your warranty is expiring on your 2014 f150"
Me- its 3 years 36k miles. I still have two years.
Them- yes its expired.
Me - no its not.

Or about the two previous vehicles I haven't owned in years.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I just can't imagine the success rate those companies have with that. I would never purchase a warranty for a vehicle from some random company that called me out of the blue. Even if I still owned the vehicle.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I wouldn't either. Once my warranty is up its up. My vehicles are usually modded so much the warranty is voided instantly.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Well, weekly lists will help since a lot of these robo-callers are changing numbers constantly (one service kept calling my google voice number - must have blocked at least half a dozen numbers of theirs over the course of a few months).

But the other issue is the worst offenders aren't exactly on the up-and-up, and in many cases are probably overseas and using wifi calling. So I'm not sure how the FCC list is going to include the worst offenders unless it's crowd sourced or based on complaints.

Still nice to see the FCC do something productive instead of trying to regulate the internet like a 1930's telecom.

nguyenlm

Reaction score
I've had about 3 of these a week.

"Your warranty is expiring on your 2014 f150"
Me- its 3 years 36k miles. I still have two years.
Them- yes its expired.
Me - no its not.

Or about the two previous vehicles I haven't owned in years.

Hey its better than my version.
3 times a week its:

" Your warranty is expiring on your Ford"
Me - I've never owned a Ford.
"Oh, let me remove your from our list"

" Your warranty is expiring on your Ford"
Me - I Told you two days ago I've never owned a ford
"Oh, let me remove your from our list"

" Your warranty is expiring on your Jeep"
Me - **** you.

And its true. I've never owned a ford or a jeep. Never co-signed (for anything).

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I've been really lucky that my actual VZW number has stayed pretty clean all these years. But my GV number has occasional been compromised, but at least it allows me to blacklist numbers.

pro tip: whenever possible, use your GV number for transactions. Online shopping, even your car dealer - you never know when national lists are going to be accumulated by a business and sold.

I've also gotten to the point where I don't answer my phone if I don't recognize the number (or at least the area code!). If the call matters, they'll leave a message which I will get transcribed in my email from GV minutes later.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I get 2 a week on the warranty thing for a 2009 vehicle I haven't owned for nearly 2 years. I wait for the opening line, then
(me) you know what?
(them) no,
(me) you're an idiot!
(click)

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
Them (oriental voice): Sir, our system shows you have a virus on your Windows PC.

Me: Which PC? I own 4 of them.

Them: The one with Windows on it.

Me: all 4 have Windows, which one

CLICK

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note4 using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I mess with them.. I keep getting hung up on. Guess they don't want to chat.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
and if sarah calls me to talk to me about my credit card accounts that I don't even have one more time I'm going to find her...

that or the guy that calls about advertising my business on google... go away, if I wanted your help I'd call you.