FCC Complaint - Verizon's Slacker Radio Push

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by dale386, Dec 12, 2010.

1. sp0rk

sp0rk New Member

That's weird. I updated and didn't get Slacker. :( I feel left out of this forced advertisement.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  2. rjsurfer

rjsurfer New Member

Me too, no Slacker came with my my upgrade:icon_eek:

I think it's an issue with your particular phone and software.

Ron W.
  3. mcatdtDroid

mcatdtDroid New Member

good gosh, the *****ing about meaningless stuff.

jitterbug doesn't have forced updates in case it's that big of a problem for ya...
  4. Jizzylax

Jizzylax New Member

1) Create your own cell phone company and service, or
    2) Root your phone.

Really no other way around it. I'm pretty sure something in the contract you signed allowed them to push whatever updates they want to your phone.
  5. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    He has an Incredible, you two have Droid 1's. So to answer an earlier point, it would have been HTC, not Motorola, that had the agreement.

And Verizon is in it to make money. All apps should be uninstallable, yes, but then again the bootloaders shouldn't be locked, updates should be continuous as long as the hardware will support it in some form or another without having to root, and we shouldn't have to sign two year contracts to get subsidized phones. Or, at the very least, we shouldn't have to pay the same rates if we buy our phones outright for them to put on the network. But we do, they won't, and they are.

If anyone feels they need to complain to the FCC about this, they should feel free. It's still a free country. :)
  6. doyling

doyling New Member

I am late to the party

I am pretty upset with Verizon on this one too. I have been trying to remove Slacker for awhile, it seems to seriously drain my battery. I have tried uninstalling it through the app market, that seems to work, then suddenly, it is back. I did not ask for this program, nor did I ask for Amazon. Who owns the phone? I remember buying it, who are they to force other software onto it. Remember the trouble Microsoft got into putting Internet Explorer on computers? I should be able to remove any piece of software that is not core. Slacker and Amazon are not core. The European version of newer Windows have an option for Internet Explorer, why can't we have an option for Slacker and such. I don't care to be viewed as a revenue stream.

I wish there was a way to require a password for App installs also, like the IPhone and Touch have. I don't need my kids, while playing a game on my phone, buying something in my name. But, that is a different rant.
  7. BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire New Member

This is why I rooted my phone in the first place early 2010 because I didn't like the fact that there were applications I couldn't get rid of. I really dislike how Android is doing this. I would like to ask if AT&T and the iPhone does the same with some apps?
  8. SixStringTheory

SixStringTheory New Member

Excerpt from VZW customer agreement. You (we all) agreed to this. Sucks, but not like they're doing anything outside the bounds of what we all sign up for. Not sure the FCC is the place to complain. I'd imagine this clause is in every wireless contract.

Vote with your wallet. But it's not like enough people will ever complain to make a real difference.

- http://www.verizonwireless.com/customer-agreement.shtml
  9. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Thank you FBM. You just saved me from turning my D1 on. ;)
  10. Dave12308

Dave12308 New Member

Like the FCC is going to do ANYTHING about this other than laugh when they read it? For one thing, this is TOTALLY out of their jurisdiction. The FCC has absolutely no control over the software on ANY device outside of the drivers that control the radios (the FCC could theoretically step in if the driver was coded to cause the radio to transmit at a higher that legal power output, for instance).

Also, there is absolutely no law saying that a carrier cannot include value added software from a 3rd party company alongside their OS. I suppose one could try filing a lawsuit with the US District Court, but I don't think there would be ANY legal leg to stand on. Basically, the end result would likely be an answer such as "If you don't like Pandora, don't use the app"
Search tags for this page

disable slacker radio

how do i turn off slacker radio on android

how to turn off slacker on android

how to turn off slacker radio

how to turn off slacker radio on android

remove slacker radio

slacker radio complaints

turn off slacker radio

turn off slacker radio android

uninstall slacker radio

verizon charging for slacker radio