FCC Complaint - Verizon's Slacker Radio Push

OP
D

dale386

Reaction score
Improvements: (3.26.605.1/Baseband Version: 2.15.00.07.28)
+ Updated Flash® player includes security enhancements.
+ Visual Voice Mail Wi-Fi improvements include removal of incorrect service messages and post-call notifications.
+ Enhanced support for Yahoo!® IMAP email.
+ Updated Slacker application.
+ Attach files larger than 5 MB.
+ Updated COX POP3 email settings.
+ Play YouTube videos in YouTube application.
+ Seamlessly switch between portrait and landscape views in Google Maps.™
+ Updated Comcast POP3 email settings.
+ Search key and other buttons displayed in correct order.

Enhancements:
+ Preinstalled V CAST Apps lets users purchase applications directly from their devices and bill them to a Verizon Wireless account.

Nothing groundbreaking, but any update is a welcome one.
[Via DroidLife]

Good luck trying to convince them the update was only for slacker radio.

The point is that it's just not necessary to install it as a core, uninstallable, application.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't disagree with you there. For them I am sure slacker and HTC or vzw had an agreement in place to include this in the update. Which equates to one thing....money. If you read the update when it hit the phone, I believe it did say it included slacker. I don't have an incredible so I can't say that for sure but I remember all the posts about it when that update did hit.

Last edited:

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I know, I don't think you are wrong for being upset about it but I do think with all the announcements that mentioned what the update included, you won't be able to make a case at all.

sp0rk

Reaction score
That's weird. I updated and didn't get Slacker. :( I feel left out of this forced advertisement.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

rjsurfer

Reaction score
Me too, no Slacker came with my my upgrade:icon_eek:

I think it's an issue with your particular phone and software.

Ron W.

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
good gosh, the *****ing about meaningless stuff.

jitterbug doesn't have forced updates in case it's that big of a problem for ya...

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
That's weird. I updated and didn't get Slacker. :( I feel left out of this forced advertisement.

Ron W.

He has an Incredible, you two have Droid 1's. So to answer an earlier point, it would have been HTC, not Motorola, that had the agreement.

And Verizon is in it to make money. All apps should be uninstallable, yes, but then again the bootloaders shouldn't be locked, updates should be continuous as long as the hardware will support it in some form or another without having to root, and we shouldn't have to sign two year contracts to get subsidized phones. Or, at the very least, we shouldn't have to pay the same rates if we buy our phones outright for them to put on the network. But we do, they won't, and they are.

If anyone feels they need to complain to the FCC about this, they should feel free. It's still a free country. :)

doyling

Reaction score
I am late to the party

I am pretty upset with Verizon on this one too. I have been trying to remove Slacker for awhile, it seems to seriously drain my battery. I have tried uninstalling it through the app market, that seems to work, then suddenly, it is back. I did not ask for this program, nor did I ask for Amazon. Who owns the phone? I remember buying it, who are they to force other software onto it. Remember the trouble Microsoft got into putting Internet Explorer on computers? I should be able to remove any piece of software that is not core. Slacker and Amazon are not core. The European version of newer Windows have an option for Internet Explorer, why can't we have an option for Slacker and such. I don't care to be viewed as a revenue stream.

I wish there was a way to require a password for App installs also, like the IPhone and Touch have. I don't need my kids, while playing a game on my phone, buying something in my name. But, that is a different rant.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
This is why I rooted my phone in the first place early 2010 because I didn't like the fact that there were applications I couldn't get rid of. I really dislike how Android is doing this. I would like to ask if AT&T and the iPhone does the same with some apps?

Reaction score
Excerpt from VZW customer agreement. You (we all) agreed to this. Sucks, but not like they're doing anything outside the bounds of what we all sign up for. Not sure the FCC is the place to complain. I'd imagine this clause is in every wireless contract.

Vote with your wallet. But it's not like enough people will ever complain to make a real difference.

My Wireless Device
Your wireless device must comply with Federal Communications Commission regulations, be certified for use on our network, and be compatible with your Service. Please be aware that we may change your wireless device's software, applications or programming remotely, without notice.

- http://www.verizonwireless.com/customer-agreement.shtml

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Ron W.

He has an Incredible, you two have Droid 1's. So to answer an earlier point, it would have been HTC, not Motorola, that had the agreement.

And Verizon is in it to make money. All apps should be uninstallable, yes, but then again the bootloaders shouldn't be locked, updates should be continuous as long as the hardware will support it in some form or another without having to root, and we shouldn't have to sign two year contracts to get subsidized phones. Or, at the very least, we shouldn't have to pay the same rates if we buy our phones outright for them to put on the network. But we do, they won't, and they are.

If anyone feels they need to complain to the FCC about this, they should feel free. It's still a free country. :)

Thank you FBM. You just saved me from turning my D1 on. ;)

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Like the FCC is going to do ANYTHING about this other than laugh when they read it? For one thing, this is TOTALLY out of their jurisdiction. The FCC has absolutely no control over the software on ANY device outside of the drivers that control the radios (the FCC could theoretically step in if the driver was coded to cause the radio to transmit at a higher that legal power output, for instance).

Also, there is absolutely no law saying that a carrier cannot include value added software from a 3rd party company alongside their OS. I suppose one could try filing a lawsuit with the US District Court, but I don't think there would be ANY legal leg to stand on. Basically, the end result would likely be an answer such as "If you don't like Pandora, don't use the app"