FB Messenger extreme battery drain

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Well, gee, I'm glad I bought a Turbo so it could last a half a day while FB Messenger runs and I haven't even used it today.

A co-worker brings me her phone today.
"My phone was at 100% this morning... it's down to 52% already".
As I'm poking around on her phone, the battery is draining slowly right before our eyes. wtf? Down to 49% literally in 3-4 minutes. I get to battery and see FB Messenger eating a whopping 30%. She hasn't even used it today.
Then I look at my phone. I used Messenger yesterday and have since rebooted. To my amazement I see this:
Screenshot_2015-02-13-11-19-04.png

34%?!?!?! Seriously??? I am just blown away here. Anyone with FB Messenger care to check battery stats for me?? /uninstall
Another co-worker who HAS BEEN using FB Messenger today on her S5 doesn't even show Messenger in the battery list. She is on Lollipop. User #1 is on KK.

Edit\
User 1 not on battery saver. User #2 is.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Weird. I used messenger last night, closed the app.and it doesn't even show up in my battery usage. 30+% is rediculious. Uninstall that bs.

Sent from my Note 4

AvaMichele

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 4
I have FB Messenger, and it doesn't show on my short list. But when I looked at my stats, Shazam was eating up my battery, and it never had before. Must have been an update. I'm going to uninstall and reinstall to see if that helps.

✋ Sent from my Droid Turbo with Tapatalk

AvaMichele

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 4
That's very upsetting. That is the only firm of communication that I have with my cousin in Sweden. Guess I will limit my use to computer.

✋ Sent from my Droid Turbo with Tapatalk

obxsalvo

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I use facebook desk top site on my turbo because I hate the App.

ChevyParts

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I had the same thing happen two days ago. Seems like it's becoming a fairly widespread problem. I uninstalled Messenger for the time being as that was the only way to stop the drain. Even force stopping the app didn't work.

kmf1

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 7 Pro Verizon
Dumb question, but beyond checking the battery short list, how do you get to the long list or stats?

TDL1068

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I have not seen this issue yet and use Facebook messenger regularly. It does not show up in my battery usage list and the lowest use percent reporting is 2%. I suspect the app is hanging in the background. Maybe a cache then data clear will help or un & reinstall the app.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
This was 2 weeks ago. There were multiple reports from all over the web of this happening to many people and many phones.
I'm sure its been fixed by now.

Turbo Tap'n