Favorite Apps, Apps you use, Apps you recommend?

OP
TheSwaggeR

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
I would recommend trying out doubleTwist Airsync or 2-player. You'll have to configure the settings properly in order to get it to work. Also must make sure you have Xbox 360 and it is hooked up to the router or Wifi-supported. I haven't tried anything yet controlling the media on my Xbox 360 since I'm too busy trying to edit those APK files and push to the next step so I can get closer to being able to create APKs from scratch or create themes.

tb110895

Reaction score
I would recommend trying out doubleTwist Airsync or 2-player. You'll have to configure the settings properly in order to get it to work. Also must make sure you have Xbox 360 and it is hooked up to the router or Wifi-supported. I haven't tried anything yet controlling the media on my Xbox 360 since I'm too busy trying to edit those APK files and push to the next step so I can get closer to being able to create APKs from scratch or create themes.

Maybe you can make me the ultimate minimalist theme later on, since I was nice to you ;)

Sent From My Liberated Droid 2

OP
TheSwaggeR

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score

Maybe you can make me the ultimate minimalist theme later on, since I was nice to you ;)

Sent From My Liberated Droid 2

Lol, as long as I can get through my mess and figure everything out, especially in need of learning how to edit .9.png image files, xml editing, and such then I will try my best to roll out something and MAYBE just MAYBE try out making a "ultimate minimalist theme."

peacemover

Reaction score
Here are a few of my fave/most commonly used apps for DROID 2:

Productivity

Backup Assistant-finally you can back up all you address book phone and e-mail contacts so you can sync them back to your new device in case your smartphone suddenly goes kaput.

GMail-easy and intuitive to use, send photos, videos, search for or tag mail items

GMail Calendar-I finally gave in and transferred my calendar from Yahoo to G-mail. works well with reminders, recurring events, etc

ColorNote-great for to-do lists, taking notes at lectures & meetings (even though non-tech savvy colleagues & mgrs may mistakenly think you are "texting" or "playing" on your smartphone when you are really attentively taking notes)

Catch-another nifty note and media sharing app. I have to admit I have not used this one much yet, but it looks like it could be interesting and useful.

DropBox-good remote storage site, particularly for shared projects that several people will be collaborating on; I do have some privacy concerns about it though, and would not entrust anything confidential or overly personal to this service

Google Translate-good translation service that handles a wide variety of languages and even detects language and will pronounce it for you, assuming you have the text to voice app up to date

Messaging-now with the DROID 2, you can link and check all your e-mail and social networking accts in one location-super convenient.

Quick Office-easily open, edit and resend Word, Ppt and Excel files from you DROID the full version is worth the $15 if you access and edit a lot of Office files on the go

Adobe Reader-makes accessing, attaching and re-sending pdfs from your DROID a snap

Kindle e-reader-it's FREE, the e-books are cheap, and you can link it directly to your Amazon acct, which keeps track of which books you've purchased as well as your notes, highlights and bookmarks-save yourself $180 and get the app instead of the stand-alone reader

Amazon-great app for the online store! I love how, with 2 clicks I can scan a barcode or photo of an item, add it to my wishlist and/or have it delivered to my door in 2-3 days. Very convenient.

ConvertPad-quickly convert English to metric, etc. Nifty and practical.

Entertainment & Media Rhapsody-The BEST streaming music service and app for the DROID out there-hands down. for $9.99 a month, I can listen to ALMOST ANY artist, album or song out there with very few exceptions. It also allows you to create playlists, as well as search by genre and popularity.

Pandora-great free streaming music app. You enter the name of a song, artist or album, and it uses an algorithm to create a "station" of similar songs that it thinks you may like. You can hone it further by giving songs a thumbs up or thumbs down. The one drawback, of course, is that you cannot select specific songs on-demand. Pandora also does not show you the length or how far along a track is.

Slacker-same concept as Pandora, Slacker is a little better in some respects and not quite as good in others. Slacker shows you the length of the track and how far along it is. It also seems to have more options for stations by genres, etc. The drawback, in my opinion, is that their algorithm for figuring out what you like based on the song you select and your "likes" vs "dislikes" ratings does not seem to be as intuitive as Pandora.

Flixster Movies-great movie app! Watch trailers, find showtimes, reviews, and even get directions to local theaters all from this app. They link it to "Rotten Tomatoes" which combines both critic and viewer reviews to at least give you a good sense of whether others felt a particular movie was worth seeing or not.

Shazam-this nifty app allows you to identify any song that is playing-just click on the app, let it listen to the song for 30 seconds or so, then it will pull up info about the song, who it is by, and even wishlist the album or download the mp3 if you like it.

NY Times-great news app, gives you access to all the major stories currently featured in the NY Times; also has ample options for sharing stories with others either via FB, twitter, e-mail, etc.

BBC News-this is one of the better news apps out there, and they provide an excellent, thoughtful perspective on international news. It will notify you of breaking news stories, which you can modify in the settings, if you like.

ESPN Score Center-get scores, commentary and even some video clips from all of the major sports.

Huffington Post-great, intuitive app featuring easily searchable stories from the unashamedly progressive news site

Flash Player 10.1-finally allows DROID users to access Flash-based media and web content.

Bluetooth on/off widget-very convenient for anyone who uses bluetooth accessories. I recently bought a set of Motorola bluetooth headphones, so that I can listen to my music, and also receive and make calls-all right from the headset.

Twitter-a good app for those addicted to sharing and reading about life in 140 characters or less.

More to come...

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

peacemover

Reaction score
Here are some more of my fave/most frequently used apps for DROID 2:

Facebook-the DROID app is good but not great, in my opinion. I have the app installed, but only use it for sharing photos, etc, and otherwise use the touch or mobile site on my DROID generally.

Foursquare-check in at places, share activities with your peeps, find out about activities that are happening around you

Games

Angry Birds-one of the more popular and fun free games in a series of mindless time-wasting/ guilty pleasure games available for DROID

Air Control Lite-route as many planes, jets and helicopters as possible to the right runway or landing pad without any collisions. My record so far is 124. Bust that! Haha!

Paper Toss-exactly what it says-toss virtual paper balls into a trash can for points. They make it interesting/challenging by having a fan blowing at varying rates of speed so you have to adjust the direction you toss the paper to try and make it in the can.

Tank Hero-You control a tank with a little virtual joystick then tap on the target tanks to fire at them. You have to clear each level without getting hit more than twice. Kind of reminds me of that old atari game with tanks, only on the droid with much better graphics.

Labyrinth Lite-using the gyroscopic sensors in the DROID, you tilt the device to roll a marble through a challenging maze filled with traps. Fun!

Solitaire-the classic single-player card game on your DROID

Jewels-line up three or more of the same type of jewels to score points. More mindless game fun!

Classic Tetris-Tetris, one of the earliest computer and arcade games, now for your DROID. Set up and gameplay generally very good, although it is sometimes a little tough to change the position of the piece and route it to the column you want using the touchscreen.

Glow Hockey-air hockey for the DROID. It's okay. Not my favorite sports game app though.

Chess for Android-one of the better free chess game apps for DROID.

Basketball Shot-very similar to paper toss, except it is with basketballs, and is timed. Pinball-decent pinball game for DROID

TouchPool 2D Lite-good pool game app. The free version doesn't allow you to do much, though, so you have to pony up the cash for the paid app to get the full game.

Practical Tools & Gadgets

Advanced Task Killer-monitor and shutdown unnecessary apps that may be running in the background, draining your memory and slowing down your DROID.

Airplane Mode Timer-quickly switch to airplane mode and set a timer for when to switch back. Great for travelers, or when looking to conserve battery life for a little while-just remember you will not be able to receive or send any calls or messages or access the internet while in airplane mode.

Droid light-one of the better flashlight apps for DROID-just tap it and it turns on the flash as a light.

Bubble Level-great for checking to see if a table or picture or doorframe is level.

CarDock-great for when you're traveling in the car. It gives you six oversized buttons with which you can access the most commonly used features while driving-calls, location, music, add app, voice search and close. Just remember-safety always comes first while driving, never drive distracted.

Barcode scanner-scan almost anything with a UPC barcode to get product info and, in some cases, order or add to a wishlist.

Maps & Navigation

Google Maps-great for maps and directions from wherever you are located-just remember, big brother (i.e. Google) is watching and recording all your data, unless you opt out.

Google Earth-get a bird's eye view of almost anyplace on earth. It is a bit of a memory hog though...

Navigator-excellent app for detailed point-to-point voice navigation. Linked to Google maps. You can also get directions to a place by using the voice search option to find a place, then clicking on the "get directions" link.

Music Tools

GStrings Guitar tuner-as a guitarist, I love this app, that allows me to easily tune my guitar with a good degree of accuracy Mobile

Metronome-metronome with various sounds and time signatures available. Free app is ad supported.

These are JUST THE BEGINNING... I know there are a lot more great apps out there. What are your fave apps and why? What type of DROID device do you have? I have a DROID 2 and love it!

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

born2golf

Reaction score
I would imagine that since the Xbox360 has IR there is diminished need for any other remote control mechanism. Xbox 360 does not have bluetooth support and the controllers use a proprietary protocol to communicate to the xbox 360 console which the phone cannot emulate (to my knowledge). Lastly, I do not believe there is any API for controlling the console over wifi. So there really is no way for a phone app to send any commands to the console.

I have a programmable remote which I use for the 360. It is a pretty advanced unit (and I have used other advanced remotes too), but will admit that the IR on the 360 is a bit sketchy and more often that not I resort to using the actual controller. And let me tell you, we use the xbox for playing media for my kids ALL DAY. I have a media server in my home with literally hundreds of hours of children's programming. We use this instead of the stacks of DVDs next to the TV found in most homes.

silverfang77

Reaction score
Friendcaster, a replacement app for Facebook. Jota text editor, a notepad. SD Card Rescan helps if new photos don't show in the gallery. Ringdroid, which let's you edit MP3 files to make ringtones.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums