Faulty Light Sensor or Poor Implementation?

Vyza

Reaction score
In addition to experiencing similar button light issues discussed in other threads (i.e., buttons will only light in total darkness), I've noticed that my display's brightness never seems to change no matter the amount of light present (with Automatic brightness enabled). So either I have a bad Ambient Light Sensor in my unit or the brightness threshold value in the software is way too high.

I only have a couple of days to return/exchange, so I am wondering what others are experiencing as "normal" behavior. Thanks in advance.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with the capacitive buttons lighting however I have noticed that brightness is always all the way up. I think this is one of those "glitches" HTC will release a bug fix for in a month or two. Right when everyone thinks they're going to get ICS. dancedroid

alanbk

Reaction score
I have noticed the same thing. I've had the phone about 48 hours. Is the sensor defective or just slow? Would like to hear others chime on on this please.

RezoundHound

Reaction score
I thought the exact same thing. Then I downloaded Brightness Level. At different times with varying degrees of ambient light, I set the brightness to "Automatic". Each time I manually adjusted the slider to duplicate the brightness level Automatic provided, switching back and forth between manual and automatic until I matched the levels. Each time the matching manual level was a different percent. This proved my theory. The automatic brightness setting is working. However, it adjusts the screen brightness so seamlessly, you don't really notice it's working. This is exactly how it's intended to work. It should look exactly the same under varying light conditions. If you think about it, it has to produce different light outputs in order to accomplish this, since your pupil continuously dilates and constricts.

As for the soft buttons not illuminating until near total darkness, I agree. The sensitivity level needs to be changed via a firmware upgrade. I've already contacted HTC Support about this. It would help if they received multiple complaints. If I'm the only one, I'm sure they'll just look at me as being too particular. You can find your phone's serial no. without removing the battery. Just go to Settings/About/Phone Identity. You'll need this to fill out the form at the below link.

HTC Mobile Phones - Customer Service - E-mail Support

RH

idiotekniQues

Reaction score
I thought the exact same thing. Then I downloaded Brightness Level. At different times with varying degrees of ambient light, I set the brightness to "Automatic". Each time I manually adjusted the slider to duplicate the brightness level Automatic provided, switching back and forth between manual and automatic until I matched the levels. Each time the matching manual level was a different percent. This proved my theory. The automatic brightness setting is working. However, it adjusts the screen brightness so seamlessly, you don't really notice it's working. This is exactly how it's intended to work. It should look exactly the same under varying light conditions. If you think about it, it has to produce different light outputs in order to accomplish this, since your pupil continuously dilates and constricts.

As for the soft buttons not illuminating until near total darkness, I agree. The sensitivity level needs to be changed via a firmware upgrade. I've already contacted HTC Support about this. It would help if they received multiple complaints. If I'm the only one, I'm sure they'll just look at me as being too particular. You can find your phone's serial no. without removing the battery. Just go to Settings/About/Phone Identity. You'll need this to fill out the form at the below link.

HTC Mobile Phones - Customer Service - E-mail Support

RH

i tested the same thing out except i used a great widget called Qbright. the automatic brightness does work fine, it just is very very smoothly graduated.

however it does not lower the brightness enough for me in most indoor settings like anybody's house or at any kind of restaurant/bar. so when i know i am going to be indoors for awhile i usually tap the widget and lower the brightness to 20% to save battery.

RezoundHound

Reaction score
I sent this email to HTC Support:

There is an issue with the lighting sensitivity of the "red" illuminated soft keys. They only illuminate when in near complete darkness. Many times I find myself in a room dark enough that the buttons are NOT legible, yet they still aren't lit. This is not unique to my specific phone. Other Rezound owners are complaining about this as well. Are there plans to modify this via a firmware update? Can this info be passed on to whichever dept. handles this kind of thing? Thank you.

This is their reply:

Dear RH,

Thank you very much for taking the time to contact us here at HTC, RH. We are sorry to hear about the lighting issues you have been encountering on your HTC Rezound.

We certainly appreciate your feedback, and will be certain to forward your concerns to our developers. We take all feedback given, from our loyal customers, very seriously, as it helps us in terms of future maintenance releases and upcoming devices in general.

Regarding specific dates and information, at this time we do not have an ETA to provide for you. To stay on top of release dates for upgrades and new devices, you can follow our official social network feeds on Twitter and Facebook, or our official website at HTC - Mobile Phones, Smartphones, Cell Phones, PDAs or http://www.htc.com/us/press . Remember that in most cases you should receive direct notification to your device of any updates and maintenance releases once they are available for download and installation.

We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused, RH, and will be prompt in forwarding your feedback. Keep in mind that we are here to answer any technical questions or concerns you may have between 6am to 1am EDST, 7 days a week for your convenience, or by calling our customer care team at 1-866-449-8358.

Sincerely,

Terri

HTC