Faster way to delete emails?

zambrij

Reaction score
Hi...Have the motorola droid through verizon. I get 100's of emails a day (comcast)...is there anyway to delete them in batches instead of 1 at a time? This is seriously time consuming. I have heard others say switch to G-Mail but I absolutley need to stay with comcast, so this is not an option. Any other ideas? Thanks :)

mjs31

Reaction score
Hi...Have the motorola droid through verizon. I get 100's of emails a day (comcast)...is there anyway to delete them in batches instead of 1 at a time? This is seriously time consuming. I have heard others say switch to G-Mail but I absolutley need to stay with comcast, so this is not an option. Any other ideas? Thanks :)

Have you tried K-9?

hogowner

Reaction score

I was going to ask the same thing also...but I think we have to press the check mark next to all the e mail we do not want..do not think there is a work around......wish there was a 'select all" key

OP
Z

zambrij

Reaction score
I have not tried K-9....will this let me delete a bunch at once? I'll go check it out...

OP
Z

zambrij

Reaction score
Just hooked up K-9....nice! I can delete them all at once! Thanks a bunch :O)

slinky

Reaction score
There is no substitute for k-9. The built in email app is the definition of incompetence. K9 should be the default email app.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think you're misunderstanding the gmail recommendation. Gmail can pull email from other accounts and, IIRC, even send out email under accounts it is checking.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

I think you're misunderstanding the gmail recommendation. Gmail can pull email from other accounts and, IIRC, even send out email under accounts it is checking.

You're right, of course, Takeshi, but I think your response may have confused the matter for the OP.

First, Comcast can certainly forward email to the grmail server. It's a simple setting on the comcast website. He can decide if he wants to delete them from the comcast server when he does so or leave them on the comcast server. (To access from his computer using Outlook or some other email client.)

At that point one can point the K-9 email client at the gmail server. This will provide the user with the capability to select groups of emails and delete them. He can decide whether to delete them from the gmail SERVER or not, as he chooses.

Alternatively, he can point the K-9 client at the comcast server directly and avoid the gmail server, altogether. The only disadvantage in this approach is that I've not found a way to get the email from comcast PUSHED to the Droid. One has to set up K-9 to POLL the comcast server periodically. Thus, there is no way to be notified of incoming mail immediately.

I've set up my wife's Droid to use the first method above. Email comes to the comcast server and is forwarded automatically to the gmail server. Her K-9 client is pointed at the gmail server and she is notified immediately that she has new email. She ignores the Droid's gmail app and uses K-9 to manage the email on her Droid.

The only weakness in this approach is that she is unable to delete email on the comcast server because an email is also downloaded every few minutes to her home computer through her Outlook polling of comcast. Thus, she has to delete emails on her Outlook client independently of deleting them on the Droid.

And after writing all this, I find that my comment about Takeshi's post should be applied to this one. Sorry, but this stuff is inherently complicated depending on what one wants to accomplish. Hopefully, this convoluted explanation will do more good than harm.