Fast way to update framework-res.apk after flash?

droidxchat

Reaction score
As I said, sorry you didn't see the sarcasm but 7zip does what WinRAR can do..... but you yourself said to extract the framework-res.apk...twice... you can talk til you're blue in the face, but that's not goign to change the fact that simply copying...sorry...dragging & dropping method, so no way easier than MM

I wrote the MM pack for him already... and it can be used from here til you create a new ROM with different folder paths than is in the current Android OS.... and the drag and drop still needs to be done once (your method or mine), but mine will forever be on his sdcard for further uses...

look again, i didn't say extract the framework-res.apk, i said extract the files as in the custom pngs and xml, which is done by dragging them out... you'd know that if you knew how winrar works. you still don't seem to understand it, so i dont know why you continue on with this.

we've already gone over that my method requires less steps than MM.

we've already gone over that you don't know how winrar or 7zip works so you shouldn't be arguing my method.

we've already gone over that this can be done on the X only as well.

we've already gone over that despite you trying to say i "exaggerated the MM steps", you have yet to successfully point out which steps.

we've already gone over that MM is only safer for the type of person who should not be flashing custom roms anyway.

anything else? i dont care about your sarcasm because you can't state facts with sarcasm so its not helping your argument. im sorry if you think i'm being rude, but you're the one who came in here "LOLing" and trying to debate a method when you have no idea how the method works... just setting it straight.

Last edited:

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
look again, i didn't say extract the framework-res.apk, i said extract the files as in the custom pngs and xml, which is done by dragging them out...

hey guys, no need to use any third party programs or blank update.zips!

the quickest way:

download the new ROM version, lets call it B, and lets call the original version that you're using now A.

extract framework-res.apk from A. open it with winrar, extract out the specific files you want to keep.

extract framework-res.apk from B. open it with winrar, don't extract anything out. navigate to the folders that require the modified files, and just drag those files (which you pulled from A) into their respective folders (sounds like you're dealing with drawable-hdpi and layout). the zip will automatically update, and you won't lose any signatures, etc.

drag the now modified framework-res.apk from B back into the system directory of B's zip file, and flash it.
In your own words

we've already gone over that my method requires less steps than MM.
you mean downloading MM? that's the only additional step I see, but it'll be good for 'ANYROM'
we've already gone over that you don't know how winrar or 7zip works so you shouldn't be arguing my method.
you obviously didn't know that 7Zip does the same thing as WinRAR,
we've already gone over that this can be done on the X only as well.
X only??? you mean you didn't know about the 'others'
we've already gone over that despite you trying to say i "exaggerated the MM steps", you have yet to successfully point out which steps.
I did, multiple times
we've already gone over that MM is only safer for an idiot who should not be flashing custom roms anyway.
Maybe for you, but MM is no harder than doing it the copy & paste way...then flashing
anything else? i dont care about your sarcasm because you can't state facts with sarcasm so its not helping your argument. im sorry if you think i'm being rude, but you're the one who came in here "LOLing" and trying to debate a method when you have no idea how the method works... just setting it straight.
Yeah, I have no clue about any of this stiff...lmao

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
OK...whew, that was a long one :p...
anyways, I'm done, you obviously have far more knowledge than me so I'll just say you were right about...not even sure anymore... but don't want to hate over such silly things... cheers, and keep up the good work...;)

droidxchat

Reaction score
In your own words

You're referring to my original post. I'm referring to the post where I simplified BOTH your method and mine, in order to compare them.

you mean downloading MM? that's the only additional step I see, but it'll be good for 'ANYROM'

that's the only additional step you see? sounds like a big change from me "exaggerating the MM steps". way to flip flop ;)

you obviously didn't know that 7Zip does the same thing as WinRAR

lol... are you seriously trying to say that I don't know what 7zip was? is that why i mentioned it with winrar when I was pointing out that in fact YOU don't know what EITHER of them do?

Unzip the ROM,
extract the framework-res.apk and unzip,
copy and paste all images (most likely multiple copy&pastes),
rezip the framework-res,
rename it to .apk, copy back to ROM and overwrite...

Hey, I can make that look like 5 steps also...;)

ummmm.. you're making it look like 5 steps because you're doing unnecessary things. you don't need to unzip framework res, you dont even need to extract it out. you can open up the rom zip, navigate to the correct locations and drag the files in, no renaming, no zipping or unzipping, no copying/pasting. guess you don't know how winrar or 7zip work....

what happened to that? probably the weakest argument you've had so far, because even if it were true that i didn't know that 7zip does the same thing as winrar, not only is it largely unrelated to the matter at hand, but it doesnt even matter because you can use winrar alone, you don't need 7zip. that also makes you a hypocrite since you knew that neither of them could update packages without extraction.

X only??? you mean you didn't know about the 'others'

this makes no sense, explain what you're trying to say

I did, multiple times

really? cuz not only can I not find one instance where you pointed out which steps im exaggerating, but you just said above that you can only see one step in my post that shows a difference - "downloading MM", which is wrong anyway. good try though.

Maybe for you, but MM is no harder than doing it the copy & paste way...then flashing

I'm not saying its harder, i'm saying it takes more steps... and what I said in the quote was responding to you trying to imply that MM is safer when you said "what happens if they bootloop." Understand?

Yeah, I have no clue about any of this stiff...lmao

Seems like it:

No I don't use WinRar, but you said that about 7zip as well...

First you tried to turn updating a winrar pkg into 5 steps, then when I pointed out how wrong you were, you admitted you know nothing about winrar because you don't use it. Then you tried to act like you know about 7zip. So do you see why there's a problem with you pointing out that 7zip and winrar do the same thing? It's because while that is true (and something I had pointed out earlier), if you don't know how winrar works by your own admission, how are you going to try to say you know how 7zip works.

So yes, you don't know about any of this stuff.

I can agree with you about something though, this has been a big waste of time.

Last edited:

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Boy you're something else... obviously you should be a dev or themer... you have way too much knowledge for my tastes...

way too much for me to read and waste any more time... you are right and I have no clue about any of this... so I'll let you get back to your SDK project now...

droidxchat

Reaction score
I am a dev and a themer... So thanks

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
T

transfan

Reaction score
Wow! Sorry to have caused so much drama!!

I went with MBK's method and it worked perfectly. Thank you as this was exactly what I needed.

I didn't state it in the post but I really wanted a way to already have my custom icons on the phone and just be able to do everything directly from it.

I personally don't like the idea of modifying the author's rom directly. I want to make sure it works before I start adding my custom stuff back in. Plus the first boot after re-flashing takes a very long time. The MM reboot is really quick, and I can wait until everything is stable on the system before worrying about adding graphics.

Also, it is not recommended to wipe data for Darkslide's roms as long as you are simply upgrading.

Thanks to all, and again sorry for sparking the debate!!

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Wow! Sorry to have caused so much drama!!

I went with MBK's method and it worked perfectly. Thank you as this was exactly what I needed.

I didn't state it in the post but I really wanted a way to already have my custom icons on the phone and just be able to do everything directly from it.

I personally don't like the idea of modifying the author's rom directly. I want to make sure it works before I start adding my custom stuff back in. Plus the first boot after re-flashing takes a very long time. The MM reboot is really quick, and I can wait until everything is stable on the system before worrying about adding graphics.

Also, it is not recommended to wipe data for Darkslide's roms as long as you are simply upgrading.

Thanks to all, and again sorry for sparking the debate!!
Hey it wasn't your doing... it was all me and droidxchat's fault... we shouldn't have let it get that far... but I'm glad you achieved what you were after...cheers...

OP
T

transfan

Reaction score
Can I do this with non-system apps like handcent and put it all in that same zip? Do I just make a folder and name it after the app?

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Can I do this with non-system apps like handcent and put it all in that same zip? Do I just make a folder and name it after the app?

Yes you can, it'd be in the data/app directory, and you can write all the different APKs into one XML and and then apply all at once, or individual APKs one at a time to apply...

the names of the APK must be what it is in your system/app or data/app directory though...and the folder path must be the same... like Hancent/res/drawable or Hancent/res/drawable-hdpi, whichever folder you are inserting the icons ...

if you'd like to pursue this, PM me and I can write the XML for you,
or you can do it the copy&paste method that also was perscribed (which I never said was a bad way, just to clear up, ;) )

Here's an example of the XML...if you'd like to take a stab at editting the XML I sent you yourself...;) ... I'm sure you can, it's not that hard really...main thing is to write the framework-res item last since that APK will make it reboot.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<themename>CustomIcons_MM</themename>
<themeversion>1.0</themeversion>
<screenshot></screenshot>
<author>MBK_SYSTEM</author>
<phone>Motorola Droid</phone>
<rom>Any ROM</rom>
<themedescription>CustomIcons_MM</themedescription>

<item>com.bw.picme.local-1.apk</item>
<path>/data/app/</path>
<description>Change icons in ShootMe</description>

<item>Phone.apk</item>
<path>/system/app/</path>
<description>Change icon for Unknown Caller</description>

<item>framework-res.apk</item>
<path>/system/framework/</path>
<description>Change system icons (Requires and sometimes causes Reboot)</description>

Last edited:
OP
T

transfan

Reaction score
Thanks again! I'm teaching myself MetaMorph now.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
That's awesome...... one thing about data/app is that there is a tendancy to add a number after the name... like stericson.xda.metamorph-1.apk, and more than one instance might cause it to become -2...
anyways, try it out, you may end up with a cool MM for all your needs...;)

BTW, for each apk you need a seperate folder structure, like how you had the framework-res/res/drawable-hdpi... you'd need one for every <item>

have fun ...