Fast way to update framework-res.apk after flash?

droidxchat

Reaction score
HaHaHaHaHa.... that was kinda funny and amusing :p:D......

Unzip the ROM,
extract the framework-res.apk and unzip,
copy and paste all images (most likely multiple copy&pastes),
rezip the framework-res,
rename it to .apk, copy back to ROM and overwrite...

Hey, I can make that look like 5 steps also...;)...
but... multiply that by the number of times you change your ROM...

Anyways... this is useLESS dribble now... I'm sure he can think for himself...

One question... what if he decides after flashing the new ROM, he wants to add a couple more custom icons... then what??... he should pull the framewortk again?

ummmm.. you're making it look like 5 steps because you're doing unnecessary things. you don't need to unzip framework res, you dont even need to extract it out. you can open up the rom zip, navigate to the correct locations and drag the files in, no renaming, no zipping or unzipping, no copying/pasting. guess you don't know how winrar or 7zip work....

you keep saying "multiple copy/pastes", its just the action of dragging a file, not copying and pasting. the same way you would have to consolidate these files to create a MM pkg.

the difference btw what you just did and what I said is that I didn't mention anything unecessary in the above post.

if he decides he wants to add more custom icons, he can just add them to the new rom and reflash it, without losing anything since he doesn't have to wipe data/cache. same thing as making a new custom package with MM and then having to apply that, except you again don't have to rely on an extra third party program on your phone. and you again will already have these changes applied next time you factory reset. can't say the same for the MM method.

im glad that you find me proving you wrong amusing. let me know if you want me to amuse you on other subjects....

Last edited:

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
What are you proving wrong??... that you made MM seem like a 10 step process?...lmao

This is as useless as any debate can get... you keep doing it your way and I'll stick to what I feel is just commmon sense since flashing the entire ROM again and again to insert a couple custom icons seems to be , well....... useless...... :)

droidxchat

Reaction score
lol... you're pointing out that anytime he wants to change out icons, he can use MM and he won't have to reflash the rom. guess what, we're not talking about constantly changing out icons (reread the OP plz). but thanks for trying to change the situation to feed your argument. my method is easiest for his needs, its that simple. thanks for coming. thanks for also admitting you don't know how to use winrar and therefore shouldnt be debating my method anyway.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
While we're on the subject of whether I have common sense or not...LOL :p...

If you have the current framework-res.apk open, and you drag and drop into the next framework-res.apk... it'll just magically put itself into the drawable-hdpi folder??

And now that we established that the APK needs to be unpacked to get access to the drawble-hdpi folder... if he has a folder already unpacked with all of the custom icons available.... is it smarter to just drag & drop..or.. copy & paste?... which is essentially the same thing ...'except' that you leave the original intact for future usage when you copy & paste

droidxchat

Reaction score
While we're on the subject of whether I have common sense or not...LOL :p...

If you have the current framework-res.apk open, and you drag and drop into the next framework-res.apk... it'll just magically put itself into the drawable-hdpi folder??

And now that we established that the APK needs to be unpacked to get access to the drawble-hdpi folder... if he has a folder already unpacked with all of the custom icons available.... is it smarter to just drag & drop..or.. copy & paste?... which is essentially the same thing ...'except' that you leave the original intact for future usage when you copy & paste

dude... do you not understand that you can drag files in and out of apks without having to pack/unpack/rename using winrar? it treats them exactly like folders, you can navigate within them to drawable-hdpi.

why are you trying to talk about things you clearly don't know about?

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Hey, and the OP might feel most comfortable doing it the copy & paste... I mean... the drag & drop way... and that's cool, it's his/her prerogative.... I'd be happy just at the fact that they were able to get it done...
but as to what the 'easiest' method is... well, that's where I either have less or more common sense...;)

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
dude... do you not understand that you can drag files in and out of apks without having to pack/unpack/rename using winrar? it treats them exactly like folders, you can navigate within them to drawable-hdpi.

No I don't use WinRar, but you said that about 7zip as well...

So if the user wants to do all of this via his X only?... WinRar??...

droidxchat

Reaction score

No I don't use WinRar, but you said that about 7zip as well...

So if the user wants to do all of this via his X only?... WinRar??...

no, astro can be used same way... and thats assuming the lesser probable chance that he's going to download the rom through his phone and not his PC....

now you're trying to win the debate based on unlikely scenarios, and still failing... anymore unlikely scenarios? maybe you'll score a technicality somewhere.

Last edited:

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
So additional steps of downloading to the PC, then copying it to the SDCard? ...lol;)

It's all subjective, but you tried to exaggerate how many steps it'd take MM... it's about the same... and I'm sorry you didn't catch the sarcasm after you tried counting useless additional steps with MM, so did I.

but as for the easiest way long term, we can agree to disagree.... since most ROMs should be installed as stock to avoid uneccessary troubleshooting if other things are intrioduced before it's ever flashed first.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
And why are you getting sooo mad??... you are more about attacking me than pointing out pros or cons?

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
hey guys, no need to use any third party programs or blank update.zips!

the quickest way:

download the new ROM version, lets call it B, and lets call the original version that you're using now A.

extract framework-res.apk from A. open it with winrar, extract out the specific files you want to keep.

extract framework-res.apk from B. open it with winrar, don't extract anything out. navigate to the folders that require the modified files, and just drag those files (which you pulled from A) into their respective folders (sounds like you're dealing with drawable-hdpi and layout). the zip will automatically update, and you won't lose any signatures, etc.

drag the now modified framework-res.apk from B back into the system directory of B's zip file, and flash it.
From your own post...

droidxchat

Reaction score
So additional steps of downloading to the PC, then copying it to the SDCard? ...lol;)

It's all subjective, but you tried to exaggerate how many steps it'd take MM... it's about the same... and I'm sorry you didn't catch the sarcasm after you tried counting useless additional steps with MM, so did I.

but as for the easiest way long term, we can agree to disagree.... since most ROMs should be installed as stock to avoid uneccessary troubleshooting if other things are intrioduced before it's ever flashed first.

umm no... downloading to the PC is independent of the methods. if he does it (which most people do), it's actually the same amount more steps for either your method or mine. if he downloads to the phone, he can use astro for my method instead of winrar. you're talking about download to the PC will add more steps, not realizing that it will add more steps to your method as well. it's just what people normally do...

we can agree to disagree, yes, but it's really more of a fact than an opinion that my method takes less steps and provides more advantages.

we've already established that you had no clue how my method was actually working since you don't know how winrar works, why are you still trying to argue it? if you want to continue, i would invite you to show me which steps i listed in my comparison post for MM that are "exaggerated" like you just said. is installing MM exaggerated? is creating an MM pkg with the custom icons exaggerated? because I didn't say much more than that.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
And I never said you method was 'wrong', but say he does the 'drag & drop' first, then flashes the ROM.... and it runs unstable or bootloops.... who you goona blame? the ROM's creator or your modding?...

Also, why does someone need to install, uninstall, then reinstall MM?... 744KB too large to keep on your Droid?

droidxchat

Reaction score
And I never said you method was 'wrong', but say he does the 'drag & drop' first, then flashes the ROM.... and it runs unstable or bootloops.... who you goona blame? the ROM's creator or your modding?...

Also, why does someone need to install, uninstall, then reinstall MM?... 744KB too large to keep on your Droid?

its droidforums policy that you can't blame anyone but yourself when you make an error modding your phone... in reality, if he bootloops, its because he did something wrong, and thats his fault not anyone elses. if you're trying to say MM is safer, then you're assuming he's an idiot who's gunna screw up simple instructions, and most people flashing roms are smarter than that. but thanks for trying to win a technicality point off yet another unlikely scenario... really making your argument look good there.

why does someone need to reinstall?
new versions of roms normally require wiping data/cache, and when they don't, most people do it anyway to prevent problems, and most rom developers recommend it. you're trying to say he should go from new version to new version to new version without wiping data? would not be a good idea...

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

umm no... downloading to the PC is independent of the methods. if he does it (which most people do), it's actually the same amount more steps for either your method or mine. if he downloads to the phone, he can use astro for my method instead of winrar. you're talking about download to the PC will add more steps, not realizing that it will add more steps to your method as well. it's just what people normally do...

we can agree to disagree, yes, but it's really more of a fact than an opinion that my method takes less steps and provides more advantages.

we've already established that you had no clue how my method was actually working since you don't know how winrar works, why are you still trying to argue it? if you want to continue, i would invite you to show me which steps i listed in my comparison post for MM that are "exaggerated" like you just said. is installing MM exaggerated? is creating an MM pkg with the custom icons exaggerated? because I didn't say much more than that.
As I said, sorry you didn't see the sarcasm but 7zip does what WinRAR can do..... but you yourself said to extract the framework-res.apk...twice... you can talk til you're blue in the face, but that's not goign to change the fact that simply copying...sorry...dragging & dropping method, so no way easier than MM

I wrote the MM pack for him already... and it can be used from here til you create a new ROM with different folder paths than is in the current Android OS.... and the drag and drop still needs to be done once (your method or mine), but mine will forever be on his sdcard for further uses...