Fast way to update framework-res.apk after flash?

transfan

Reaction score
I am using Darkslide v4.0 and 4.1 is already out! I want to update, but I have several custom .png files from my drawable-hdpi folder in framework-res.apk

Is there a quick way to get these images (and custom eri.xml) into the new framework once I upgrade to 4.1? Like a blank zip file I could make and just install from sd card?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Make a backup and try flash the new version without wiping and see if that does it.

DroidForums junkie!!

OP
T

transfan

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, but it won't. The rom replaces framework-res.apk and that's where the .png files are. Basically what I want is to create a mini-theme that i can just install from recovery whenever i update.

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
get an update.zip
open as archive usnig 7-zip
delete everything
make a folder named system. make a folder in it named framework. Drop the framework-res.apk in it. Install through Clockwork (might not be signed)

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
You could also make a MetaMorph that contain all of those PNGs you customized, and apply it into 4.1 or any future builds...

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
MM is way over my head! Thanks Mbk!

You could also make a MetaMorph that contain all of those PNGs you customized, and apply it into 4.1 or any future builds...

DroidForums junkie!!

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
It's really not as hard as it appears, just looks that way...lol :p

droidxchat

Reaction score
hey guys, no need to use any third party programs or blank update.zips!

the quickest way:

download the new ROM version, lets call it B, and lets call the original version that you're using now A.

extract framework-res.apk from A. open it with winrar, extract out the specific files you want to keep.

extract framework-res.apk from B. open it with winrar, don't extract anything out. navigate to the folders that require the modified files, and just drag those files (which you pulled from A) into their respective folders (sounds like you're dealing with drawable-hdpi and layout). the zip will automatically update, and you won't lose any signatures, etc.

drag the now modified framework-res.apk from B back into the system directory of B's zip file, and flash it.

Last edited:

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
1. Pull the framework off your phone via astro, root explorer, or adb and save it to your PC.

2. Download the new ROM to your PC.

3. Open the new ROM.zip with 7zip and pull out the framework-res.apk located in the framework folder.

4. Open the framework-res.apk with 7zip and open the hdpi folder for your device (leave it open)

5. Open the framework-res.apk (the one from the OLD rom) with 7zip and pull the images out, save them to the desktop in an empty folder. (close the window once copied)

6. Select all of the images in the new folder (Control+A) and copy them into the hdpi folder (the new framework-res hdpi folder) Paste them over the existing images in framework-res.

7. Now, copy the new (modified) framework-res back into the ROM.zip (framework folder) and replace the original.

8. Install the ROM.zip like normal.

Thats the easiest way to do it. Good luck ;)

Last edited:

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
LOL... the easiest way?... it'd still be the MM since you would only have to pack those custom icons into an MM.zip once.... and just apply the same MM from there on... but you can go copy & paste route as well...

If you'd like to try the MM.... here's an empty pack that you can place all of your custom icons into (place into the drawable-hdpi folder), then rezip the framework-res folder and the XML using 7zip (as archive is best)... then apply via MM (make sure you have your USBDebugging checked..

If that takes, it'll take every time there is a new version of that ROM, and it'll probably also work onto other ROMs as well since they all have the framework-res/res/drawable-hdpi path

Nanadroid first, and try that.... if you feel it's not easier, then the copy & paste method would be fine for you...;)

droidxchat

Reaction score
LOL... the easiest way?... it'd still be the MM since you would only have to pack those custom icons into an MM.zip once.... and just apply the same MM from there on... but you can go copy & paste route as well...

If you'd like to try the MM.... here's an empty pack that you can place all of your custom icons into (place into the drawable-hdpi folder), then rezip the framework-res folder and the XML using 7zip (as archive is best)... then apply via MM (make sure you have your USBDebugging checked..

If that takes, it'll take every time there is a new version of that ROM, and it'll probably also work onto other ROMs as well since they all have the framework-res/res/drawable-hdpi path

Nanadroid first, and try that.... if you feel it's not easier, then the copy & paste method would be fine for you...;)

you only have the pack the custom icons once in our method as well...

in fact, your method requires flashing the unmodified new rom over the old, then installing MM and creating the MM package, then using MM to modify the new ROM. our method allows you to modify the new rom before flashing it over the old, which combines the packing and actually modifying all into the upgrade itself, without relying on an extra third party program on your phone. which also has the benefit that anytime you reflash the rom, you'll already have the custom stuff without having to use MM again

Last edited:

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I'm sorry brother... but you seem to be unaware of what MetaMorph does... and it's not up to me or you anyways... it's up to each individual to choose for themselves...

But just so I can clear up the process for you... the new ROM 'must' be flashed at least once regardless, right?

your method means that he has to extract the framework-res.apk 'every' time he plans to flash a new ROM... and swap out those custom icons 'every' time....

whereas...

with MM, he transfers those icons 'just once', and every time he flashes a new ROM or theme, he merely has to open MM and apply, and it applies fast with a quick reboot...

I've done it all ways, and it can be done any method, but why copy and paste multiple times????

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Oh BTW, just noticed you'd like to swap out the eri.xml also... you can add the XML folder next to the drawable-hdpi folder, and place that xml in there and zip all of that up...

While I don't have an X, members have applied my Transparent custom pulldowns to their X using MM... and I know MM is compatible to the DroidX

But please, do it the way that you are the most comfortable... cheers

droidxchat

Reaction score
I'm sorry brother... but you seem to be unaware of what MetaMorph does... and it's not up to me or you anyways... it's up to each individual to choose for themselves...

But just so I can clear up the process for you... the new ROM 'must' be flashed at least once regardless, right?

your method means that he has to extract the framework-res.apk 'every' time he plans to flash a new ROM... and swap out those custom icons 'every' time....

whereas...

with MM, he transfers those icons 'just once', and every time he flashes a new ROM or theme, he merely has to open MM and apply, and it applies fast with a quick reboot...

I've done it all ways, and it can be done any method, but why copy and paste multiple times????

i know how MM works... here is what I'm saying.. a bit more clearly

using MM:

preparation (only has to be done once):

extract the customized files from the current framework
prepare an MM package with the custom files
(2 steps)

then whenever theres a new rom:
download it
flash it
install MM
select the MM package and apply it

(4 steps, including having to rely on an extra third party app)

anytime he wants to reflash the same rom to start fresh or revert to factory settings:

reinstall MM
reselect the MM package and apply it

(2 steps required to customize, including having to rely on an extra third party app)

using my method:

preparation (only has to be done once):

extract the customized files from the current framework
(1 step)

then whenever theres a new rom:

download it
drag custom files into it
flash it

(3 steps, no extra third party apps required)

whenever he wants to reflash the same rom to start fresh or revert to factory settings:

(0 steps required to customize, its already customized)

MM has its situations where its easier. This isn't one of those situations.

Last edited:

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
HaHaHaHaHa.... that was kinda funny and amusing :p:D......

Unzip the ROM,
extract the framework-res.apk and unzip,
copy and paste all images (most likely multiple copy&pastes),
rezip the framework-res,
rename it to .apk, copy back to ROM and overwrite...

Hey, I can make that look like 5 steps also...;)...
but... multiply that by the number of times you change your ROM...

Anyways... this is useLESS dribble now... I'm sure he can think for himself...

One question... what if he decides after flashing the new ROM, he wants to add a couple more custom icons... then what??... he should pull the framewortk again?