Fascinate Software Update June 13

grizcoach

Reaction score
Using the settings/software/new path, I found there was a new update for my Fascinate available. It installed fine on my Fascinate. On my wife's it was slow (and it said it downloaded in the background) and after a while I hit back buttton.......:icon_eek: MISTAKE!!!!. I now know what a bricked phone looks like (I took it into verizon and a new phone is on its way).

The update goes from EDO1 to EDO4. I guess that means a minor update for 2.2.1. Haven't found what the improvements are yet but I'm looking. I'll post when I find them.

Good luck and WAIT for the update to take place :biggrin:

outcast

Reaction score
I noticed bluetooth connects to my car stereo, instead of sitting in pairing mode. Also, I can tell that it has a better sound in call.

ponygirl22

Reaction score
The 2.2 update popped up on my phone a few days ago and it might as well have bricked my phone. The battery is drained in half a day and I cannot send or receive pictures. It's just slow all the way around. I loved my Fascinate up until that point. :(

broderp

Reaction score
Try a factory reset.

Sent from my fascinate

What does this do? (Besides erase all/ most user data?) How does it clean up the update or install?

I *had* a Samsung Vibrant (Cincinnati Bell clone) and after loading about 50 apps, reset it and it all but bricked the phone. I could only recieve calls and basic text. (no 3G either.) I'm afraid to reset my phone. :blink:

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well I would hold off on factory reset then. I would call a Verizon tech and see what they say to do. I am rooted and I factory reset through rooted clockwork recovery when I have problems and it seems to fix them, but if you are running stock then I am not sure of the entire process.

KeepItReal

Reaction score
I have had friends take in their Droid X and Verizon tech was able to flash the phone back to stock; however their computer software would not even connect the Fascinate to flash - they couldn't get the Fascinate to flash using the PST (??) Software.

SWYPED from my Fascinate

cjr4497

Reaction score
the update went wrong for me too. i had the phone on the charger, pressed ok on the update screen, and let the phone do its thing. well, after about 15 minutes the phone went black and i figured it was rebooting. the samsung logo pops up and just stays there and stays there and stays there with nothing happening. It stayed like this all night! the logo would blink ever 5 or so minutes. I am bringing the phone into verizon today to see about it.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Verizon was replacing fascinates with the inc2, dx2 and charge. Ask them if they will replace your Fascinate with one of those because your Fascinate doesn't work for basic functions.

cjr4497

Reaction score
Verizon was replacing fascinates with the inc2, dx2 and charge. Ask them if they will replace your Fascinate with one of those because your Fascinate doesn't work for basic functions.

well, not anymore:mad: that was the first thing the verizon rep said to me when i showed him my phone and told him what happened. he called tech support and they tried everything in the book to get my phone to reboot. After the tech guy gave up the verizon rep asked him about the charge/inc2 swap and the guy said that they aren't offering that anymore because they have a

"NEW UPDATE COMING OUT AUGUST 2ND THAT IS SUPPOSED TO FIX ALL FASCINATE ISSUES"

they are going to overnight me a "new" fascinate. i love my fascinate when it is working if that makes sense. i am not alone in my problem though. a guy went in there the day before with a Thunderbolt and had the exact same thing happen to his phone when he ran an update. so it is not just the fascinate that can brick with an ota update:)

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you have problems again or with the new update I would be persistent. They may eventually give you something else, you may have to tell them you will not accept another Fascinate replacement and that you may take your business to Att or Sprint.

broderp

Reaction score
If you have problems again or with the new update I would be persistent. They may eventually give you something else, you may have to tell them you will not accept another Fascinate replacement and that you may take your business to Att or Sprint.

Why would they care if you threaten this? You are under a contract. Unless your near the end of the contract the fees could be outragious. You better be able to and willing to accept the fees then!

PS What update is this thats suppose to be out AUG 2?? Its the 3rd today, I see no update available. :)

cjr4497

Reaction score
apparently, what they were talking about was the 2.2.2/EDO5/2.6.32.9 kernel. i got my "new" phone monday afternoon and the first thing i did was check for an update. the one that came up was the same one that killed my phone. I ran it again anyway and it worked fine. the phone runs crisp with no lagging between home screens or button pushes. the gps locks on like grease lightning.

from what i have read the EDO5 update has been out for a couple of weeks. maybe the people with the company didn't know it was out yet? doesn't matter to me. my phone is up to date with a properly working gps. that is all i wanted anyway. i have never had any of the missed calls/message issues like others have claimed with my two previous fascinates.

i checked for an update for my wife's droid x and installed it like an idiot. it screwed her phone up too. hers rebooted but was plagued by home screen and widget issues. after clearing her chache a few times from the boot menu and doing a factory reset it seems to be working fine. I like the Gingerbread. I hope it comes to the fascinate.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score

Why would they care if you threaten this? You are under a contract. Unless your near the end of the contract the fees could be outragious. You better be able to and willing to accept the fees then!

PS What update is this thats suppose to be out AUG 2?? Its the 3rd today, I see no update available. :)

Even though the fees could be outrageous, it's bad business for them to lose a customer. The CSR's at the call centers are trained to not lose customers. They may get your immediate cash for ETF, but might lose all future business from you and they don't want people spreading the bad word about them. It work's sometimes. I have done it before with success. I have negotiated a special promo for $15 unlimited 3g data, and a new phone before.