Fascinate Galaxy S Reception Issues?

TamiVroma

Reaction score
I was just curious if anyone else is having reception issues. I just got my phone on Monday- it never seems to have full bars. I have a great friend that is a district manager for Cellular One who called me yesterday and said take it back--kept dropping my call - he was in downtown Chicago and I in my home where I never had a problem with my Eris.

He said it may be just this phone. Gotta tell ya I am really praying that when I swap out for a different one that it works because I absolutely love the phone!

Was just curious if anyone else was noticing reception issues.

dricacho

Reaction score
I never got drop calls even with only 1 or 2 bars. Living in the city with lots of tall buildings will definitely not get you full bars all the time. But unless I drive thru tunnels or underground parking lots, I've never had reception issues.

Last edited:

Taino Warrior

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem where i live at i had always have full bars on all my previous phones my wife phone and daughter phone has full bars. For some reason i have the bars on this phone drop to one bar,I'm going to return this phone.

crimsonblake

Reaction score
I'm a sales rep at a Verizon corporate store, 4 of my co-workers have Fascinates and we ALL experience a MAJOR difference in signal quality compared to co-workers with Droid X's and Droid 2's....

PsychoSimatic

Reaction score
love my fascinate, my service usually shows close to nothing but the call quality is fine. I do know it was a known issue though with the phone going into air plane mode or not switching from 1X to EVDO which could be what your seeing in terms of signal, check to see if it shows a 1x instead of 3G when you have those service issues

riata2

Reaction score
Had same type of problem and when I got the update from Verizon that seemed to clear/steady the signal bar. Had switching bars and now have a steady 2 bars and am in a motorhome in a rural area east of KC, Mo. Use this phone as my internet connection and have had no call drop issues, even before the update in weak signal areas.

denlem

Reaction score
I live in an area were reception is borderline. Motorola phone always have the best reception. Samsung seem to come in second for me, with LG being the worst.

My Droid 1 almost always had a signal, weak, but it had one. My Fascinate is constantly in and out.

For me it's typical and what I expected.

rastephens

Reaction score
I don't really pay any attention to the bars, but I have had no problems with calls being dropped or anything like that. Seems pretty good to me.

soba1

Reaction score
Something frutrating happened to me last night. My bldg has lousy signal anyway.
But I lost signal for a while. I had to pull my batt, after that it worked
fine... I have yet to drop any calls though.

hedgecat

Reaction score
I'm 10 miles outside of Birmingham, AL and I've had my phone for 3 days. It's likely going back to the store (for a second and final time). I've read that the antenna on Samsung phones is typically weaker than for other manufacturers' phones and I now believe it. I think that this phone's performance is 100% tied to how good your area's signal is because if it's not strong, you're out of luck.

The mail app on the phone is pretty awful anyway but if the phone can't get a reliable data connection, it seems to stop even trying to get mail on the 5 minute schedule I've set up. If I go in and ask the mail to update, it might, or it might not. Most of the time it says that there was a connection error. The Mail Droid app is a little better for whatever reason but still hangs as soon as signal strength wanes (again, that darn antenna).

Browsing is either great or non-existent. Most of the time, it sits there thinking - definitely not what I saw in the store. It was lightning fast and I was impressed. Call quality is ok - but I've had two calls drop/couldn't answer them because of a signal issue.

My indicator almost always shows zero or one teeny bar and it vascillates between 3G and 1x. This happened a little bit on my Blackberry Curve, but it never stopped me from browsing (which is notoriusly slow on the Curve anyway) or getting mail in a reasonably timely fashion. Verizon's reply is that "the Fascinate is not an email phone - go for a BlackBerry if that's important to you". The thing is, that even with the buy one get one free deal they were running, it's a very expensive phone to have such a weak antenna and therefore limited functionality.

Last edited:

WuChen

Reaction score
Reception stinks

I'm on my second Fascinate in the four days I've had the phone, this one is slightly better, but only slightly.. Very disappointing. The reception is poor on both the wi-fi and the wireless frequencies. This must be a design flaw..

justinc101011

Reaction score
I just got this phone yesterday. I had had the D1 but it was slow and the keyboard like fell off soooo. I have noticed that signal says like 2 to 3 bars where before I had always had 4 bars with the D1. Honestly even though it says the reception isn't as good the speed is much much faster than my D1 ever was so I think this well with it. Like loading a web page is at least 4 times faster in my house than it was with the D1. Just thought I'd let everyone know.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

dr0idg0d23

Reaction score
This is an issue with the fascinate but, it is not a hardware issue rather it is a software issue. This should be corrected upon the release of 2.2 also I am sure there are developers working on a new baseband it will just take some time. A baseband designed by developers will require root access to install when one is released. However if you wait for 2.2 then a better baseband should be included in your ota update as this is a common known issue. In the mean time anyone experiencing signal issues can try dialing *228 option 2 from your handset.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

justinc101011

Reaction score
This is an issue with the fascinate but, it is not a hardware issue rather it is a software issue. This should be corrected upon the release of 2.2 also I am sure there are developers working on a new baseband it will just take some time. A baseband designed by developers will require root access to install when one is released. However if you wait for 2.2 then a better baseband should be included in your ota update as this is a common known issue. In the mean time anyone experiencing signal issues can try dialing *228 option 2 from your handset.

That's good to know that it is a software issue not hardware. I'm so excited for 2.2

M

Mwsr

Mine has poor reception also coming from a bb