Fascinate and D2 tether speeds

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by deemt, Oct 14, 2010.

1. deemt

deemt New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone. I read many of the topics and a lot are conflicting with eachother so I wanted to try to get a definitive answer. I just moved into a new apartment and the internet package is way too expensive for me (my old place had fios, fios isn't available in the new apt). So I have an upgrade and decided to jump into android with either a Droid 2 or Fascinate.

My plan is to root it and use it as my main internet for my laptop. I read and searched a lot of topics comparing these 2 phones and some say the Fascinate is getting ridiculously good speeds that are better than a legit wifi connection on a laptop and some are saying its nowhere nearly as fast. Also, some people are saying the D2 with Froyo is faster than the Fascinate, some say its not. See what I'm getting at? :icon_eek:

So which one would have faster internet speeds with tether? Fascinate or Droid 2? And should I use wifi or 3g? Thanks in advance, hopefully I get enough info tonight so I can pick up the victorious phone tomorrow. You really don't realize how much you rely on internet until you're just sitting in a chair in your apartment doing nothing, haha. I'm here at a coffee shop using their internet.

2. Rsswga

Rsswga Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ask ur neighbors if u can Leach off there wireless routers...my neighbor pays me 15 bucks a month...tethering jacks up ur phone temps quite high with continuous use.

3. LtKen

LtKen Silver Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I couldnt get close to my home network speeds. Maybe 150kbps on VZW -- Brighthouse gets me easily 18Mbps.

But yes you can do it, and your speeds will be a function of your signal and the hardware you're connected to. There's really no way to know without using it.

4. deemt

deemt New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the replies. Leaching off of my neighbor's internet was the first choice but he said they tried with someone a floor below him and it didn't connect. The service kinda sucks in the area, it seems.

I assumed it probably wouldn't be as fast as a home network but I read a couple posts where people were saying their fascinate was just as fast as their home network. Could've been bs but it drove me to start this thread.

The phone is pretty much my only option without paying $60 a month just for internet. So how fast could you get it with overclocking and tether? Also I'm kinda new at this but is tethering over 3g faster than wifi?

and @rss - the phone temp comment kinda makes me question this, could you elaborate? Like how long is continuous? 2 hours a day? all day?

5. LtKen

LtKen Silver Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I think there's a bit of a misunderstanding.

First, overclocking will have no impact on your tether speeds. The phone is more than fast enough to handle whatever bandwidth you can get off the tower -- but, there's no easy way to determine what that bandwidth is without getting a Verizon smartphone and running a speed test

Second, tethering uses the 3G network, and then tethers over BT, USB, or WIFI -- "tethering over 3g" is a misnomer, since to sucessfully tether, you must use 3g as the source. It's certainly not faster than a good Wifi connection, but it could possibly be faster than a land-line, depending on how crappy your broadband service is.

Finally, temps can be an issue, but you wont really know until you try. Tethering puts a heavy load on at least two (and sometimes 3) processors in the phone. The CPU is working to translate and pass information, the radio processor is working to get and send your information, and the Wifi or BT chips are working to pass the information between your PC and your phone. Heat is bad for integrated circuits. As far as long-term impacts, I dont know.

Hope this helps.

6. deemt

deemt New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks LtKen, that really helped a lot. So i guess i'll get one of the phones tomorrow and test it out. I have like information overload from all the reading about phones last night. Does the fascinate have a faster/better processor than the droid 2? I was at the verizon store earlier checking them out and the guy told me they were both the same at 1ghz. Also, if i remember right, the Fascinate has an unlocked bootloader where the droid 2 does not? Should that influence my decision.

I pretty much want to get the fastest/best one for me, my biggest dealbreaker is internet - on the phone itself and via tether. Pages loading fast, quick response, etc. I know they're both good and its pretty much nice screen vs physical keyboard but which would you recommend based on internal hardware?

7. LtKen

LtKen Silver Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Yes, they're both 1ghz -- this wont make a difference for your purposes. The locked/unlocked boot loader wont make a difference either. Either will suit your purposes.

You may get fast speeds with tethering (throughput), but you're not likely to get quick response (latency), at least not compared to a land line. Plenty of people game using a tether, but I cant imagine doing this.

8. deemt

deemt New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok cool. Thanks for clearing that up about the latency. I dont really game on the computer, just mainly browse internet and talk to friends. I'd rather do that on a 13 inch laptop screen than a 4 inch cell phone screen. Thanks for your help man. Conclusion is that it pretty much comes down to aesthetics and I was digging the Fascinate at the store today so will probably pick that up tomorrow.. its thinner.

I'll probably be back around here to bug people about improving my speeds. Hopefully it works out and I can live with the connection. Thanks for the help LtKen.

9. Rsswga

Rsswga Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Are u getting the Samsung.

10. deemt

deemt New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    As of a couple hours ago i was but now I'm reading that you can't see the screen in sunlight. I work outside! blahh

11. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +5,256
    I have the d2 and I used both barnacle and wifi tethering. For basic use such as checking email, facebook, listening to music it works good. But it takes awhile to load up a youtube video. If you plan in using it as you only source of internet you may be better off getting broadband. Though no one has been caught tethering through 3rd party apps is against you TOS. Now vzw has not crack down on it as we know but they more likely to go after people using high amount of bandwidth vs those who do not stand out. I am not going to tell any one not to tether because I use the tethering app. But I recommend those that tether through 3rd party apps only tether sparingly.

12. deemt

deemt New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the heads up. I had a suspicion that it could be trackable by verizon but didnt ask. That sucks, also the slow youtube with tether.

I would just get broadband but its $65 a month. its roadrunner broadband and it really sucks compared to fios. I download a lot of movies and music, had like 20 tabs open on my browser at a time, basically doing my part to deplete the internet. I know if I tether I'd just be able to do basic things and hopefully be able to download a 50mb album at a reasonable speed but it definitely won't be the same as a broadband/fios connection. Pretty much my only option though because i dont need another bill in my life. But who knows, maybe the lack of internet would be good for me. Maybe i'll find creative things to do with my time. Maybe i'll paint a portrait or discover a way to steal internet like people used to steal cable. :)

Hypothetically, if Verizon did find out someone violated TOS then what do they do? Cancel your contract? Call the broadband brigade? The broadband brigade doesn't scare me, but my contract is pretty sick.

Search tags for this page

d2 update faster

fascinate tether hack

how far will fascinate tether