Farming/Gardening Thread

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well I have seen threads on about everything except agriculture. I figured I would start a thread that anyone with questions on gardening can come to and ask. Also anyone with pictures of gardens you have been working hard in or if you have pics you would just like to show off feel free to post them. I know there are people who have droids that enjoy farming or gardening and I'm sure there are a few people with green thumbs out there. Hope everyone can enjoy this thread and maybe some questions will be answered along the way. Ill start with a few pics below.

4b6e6af7-b816-7573.jpg

4b6e6af7-b86c-f0dd.jpg

Sent from my Liberated D2

Capt.D

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
What grass do you have. And what are you using undetermined your straw

OP
252chevyboyz

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have tall fescue called Wolfpack. Its a drought tolerant type fescue and performs pretty well here with dry conditions. Also are you asking what kind of straw I have? If so its a long needle pine straw that comes from around Pine Hurst, NC.

Capt.D

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I was wondering what your underlayment of choice is or if you use any. I was told newspaper is good.

OP
252chevyboyz

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well actually I have none at all. Just bare earth under the straw. I do have to spot spray weeds in the beds from time to time tho

Capt.D

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Gotcha nice looking place. I was going to get my weed and feed when I was called back to work guess ill do it in a couple of weeks and my flower beds as well.

OP
252chevyboyz

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks and for controlling some of those weeds might want to check out a weed killer called Big-N-Tuff. Ill post a thread below. Seems to work really well if you spray it on and let the sun do its work for a couple days. Just don't get it on any plants you want to keep.

OP
252chevyboyz

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Got the yellow pear tomato, onions, pepper plants, and parsely in the first pic

In the second pic there are some pepper plants, cabbage plants, and cherry tomato plants

OP
252chevyboyz

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Anyone got any spring time gardens out there?

I'll post a few pics of mine. All rows are tomatoes and cherry tomatoes. The first pic does have mustard and cabbage in it tho.

4b6e6af7-cf51-6248.jpg

4b6e6af7-cf68-28d3.jpg

Last edited:

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This corner has an arbor I built this year. We've got 6 grape vines that went in last year and they needed extra support this year. On the right side is some leaf lettuce whose plants are above knee high. Behind them is watermelon. The flowering tree is a Rose of Sharon that I just noticed was in bloom today. To the left of that some huge hibiscus flowers will be blooming soon. To the left of the steps are strawberries and then some more grapes. Off screen to the left are tomatoes, cukes, squash, eggplant and stringbeans. Last night we had a great salad with sliced grilled chicken on top of lettuce cherry tomatoes and sliced cucumbers. We've lived her for over 20 years and last year and this year are the only years we've gardened. Oh, a couple years ago we put in a dwarf golden delicious apple tree and this year we panted two raspberry bushes.

I might as well add that we are growing some mighty fine weeds between the steps and along the stone wall too!