1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

FAQ What is Rom Manager and how do I use it

Discussion in 'Koush' started by romanrish, Mar 26, 2010.

1. romanrish

romanrish New Member

I am doing this write up per request of Christim. This is not my app all credit goes to Koush and his team.

Intro: What is ROM Manager?
    Rom Manager is an application available in the market. This application makes it possbile to flash ROMs and create backups all from your phone without ever having to mount it to your computer. Now all devs have the option of adding their ROMs to RM and making them available for download and install straight from your phone. Also adding in the possibility of OTA updates.

How do I use ROM Manager? <Suggest to do this with WIFI as it speeds things up>
    1. Simply root your droid. Through the conventional method or download DMupdater from www.droidmod.org. If you don't know what root is explore the forums and study what you are doing first because I nor anyone else is responsible for you voiding your warranty or any damage you do to your phone.

2. Go to the Market and install ROM manager. The very first option on the screen after you install will be "Flash Clockwork Recovery". *EDIT* you will be prompted for SU access just check "remember" and allow. Select phone model and wait for progress bar to complete and it should say "sucessfully flashed clockwork recovery". You are now ready to enjoy all the splendors of ROM manager.

3. Before you do anything you need to create a backup. This is your safety net if something doesn't go right. Go under the section of the application that says "Backup and Restore" and select "Backup Current ROM". You will be prompted to name your backup. I suggest with naming it either the name of your current ROM version or date you did the backup(ex: Cyanogen5053 or UltimateDroid811). Your phone will now reboot into recovery to complete the backup.

4. This may be your first experience with a Recovery platform, so I will go over the navigation. You to navigate through recovery your hardware keyboard needs to be open. You use the directional pad to navigate through options. You use the gold button in the center of the D-pad to select options. Finally you use the power button to go back to the previous menu. Also before I proceed if you ever are getting stuck in Boot Loops or any other reason you need to get into recovery you simply power up your phone with the hardware keyboard open and power up while holding down the "X" button, or you can enter through ROM manager.

5. After your backup is complete you will need to select the option to reboot system now. Now you are ready to start flashing ROMs. Download the ROM you would like to try from using the option "Download Rom" in ROM manager. I suggest doing your research before hand to see which ROM you might be interested in. Check out their options and see which one might appeal to you. It will give you options to select of what packages to install. Alway install Google Apps on Cyan ROMs so you don't lose the Market.

6. If your are coming from stock or any other 2.0.1 based ROM you need to make sure you select the option to wipe data/cache. This removes all apps, call logs, and sms. If this bothers you I would suggest purchasing a backup program, but I will not go over each one's features because it's off topic but the top recommended are Titanium Backup, My Backup Pro, or for just apps ASTRO works just fine.

7. Your phone will now reboot and install the ROM. Do not attempt this process with less than 40% on your battery. Now you just have to set back up your phone and you can enjoy your new ROM. Don't bother backing up contacts because they are tied to your Google account and that is the best way to recover them.

Additional Features: What else can it do?
    You can also hit the check for Updates button in ROM manager and it will see if the Developer of your ROM has posted a newer version. You should not have to do a wipe data/cache if you are just updating, but if you ever get stuck in boot loops I suggest giving doing a wipe before you try any other trouble shooting.

You can theme certain ROMs if it is available. Example Nextheme for Cyanogen based ROMs. Or Ultimate Droid Customizer for Black Droid's ROMs.

A new feature that is available is to flash alternate recovery image. If you do not know what Sprecovery is, or have a reason to use it I would not recommend it because Clockwork recovery is superior in my opinion.

Any additional comments should be placed here, and any questions or trouble shooting should also be placed here.

To the board moderators: If we create a Sub Forum for Koush please relocate this thread there.

UPDATE EDIT: ROM manager now has an option for Verizon stock ROM. I have personally not tested this because I do not plan on going back to stock. I personally love my current options to much to go back to stock waiting on an update, so any questions on this option will have to be directed elsewhere.
  2. jocko1960

jocko1960 New Member

Just to add something I ran into a couple times while flashing the recovery image, if you get a window that says it has stopped responding don't panic, just click Force Close then open Rom Manager back up and start the flash again. It will normally work on the 2nd attempt.

This app truely makes trying different ROMS simple and painless. I drive a truck for a living and was able to install and try different ROMs while driving down the interstate. Just started it,laid the phone on the passenger seat and in about 5 mins it was loaded and ready to go.
  3. jbg25

jbg25 New Member

do you have to wipe data when switching between CyanMod and Ult Droid?
    ?
  4. christim

christim Super Moderator

romanrish,
    Wow, that was quick work! Thanks for putting this together.
  5. JimMariner

JimMariner Rescue Squad

Yeah romanrish !!! Even I can understand all of that :icon_ devil:

Excellent Write Up !!!!
  6. JimMariner

JimMariner Rescue Squad

You can bet it will be moved.
    As soon as Koush's SubForum is Created, I will make sure this is moved and made a Sticky too.

If you need anything else done, Please feel free to PM me, ANYTIME !

I am playing with this now myself.
  7. romanrish

romanrish New Member

I do but that is the way I do when switching between anyroms. Your best best bet is to get a paid backup from the market. My backup pro, or titanium backup seem to be everyones favorites. Titanium is supposed to have market links though. It never hurts to try it without wiping and just restore backup if you get stuck in boot loops. Then try again w/ wiping data. I keep an up to date backup of both on my phone.

Thanks for the kind words guys. I tried to get this up and hopefully it will eliminate some of the clutter in the process.
  8. jbg25

jbg25 New Member

Thank Roman....

I do have Ti Backup, and donated for the hypershell and extra batch features. Very usefull, and for the most part have had no problems.

But I always worry that if I do the full batch restore of all apps and USER data, that something might cause a conflict. So I typically use the install all missing apps with data feature. but i have a questions there...

I noticed that it continues to log programs not installed...sometimes for several backups....how I take advantage of the batch restore...without worrying about affecting the stability of the new ROM or logging apps that were uninstalled weeks ago?
  9. romanrish

romanrish New Member

I have never used titanium, but it seems you should be able to do a batch restore and just deselect the items you don't wish to restore. That might be something you want to email their devs to find out. W/ restoring market links though it seems there would be less chance for confict.
  10. Jester6x

Jester6x New Member

I used ROM Manager a couple times and loved it (premium version) but I got up today to change my kernel and I am getting a 'Download Error' every time I try to download. My buddy is also having the same issue.

Any help?

Thanks
  11. killxp

killxp New Member

need help

did install of ultimate droid, and it kept booting and never went to the home screen what did i do wrong? do i need to install 2.1 first?
  12. romanrish

romanrish New Member

No you need to do a wipe data/cache. If you selected that option you need to reboot your recovery image. If you are having download errors I would uninstall and reinstall RM. Reflash clockwork.
  13. Jester6x

Jester6x New Member

romanrish, I tried the uninstall / reinstall and reflashing clockwork but I am still getting download errors. Any kernel I try to download from Chevy's low volt to adamz med volt always end up in error.
  14. romanrish

romanrish New Member

That isn't a ROM manager error. That has to do w/ the devs. I am pretty sure they manage those links so I would contact the dev for help w/ that.
  15. mightym

mightym Member

help with installing cyanogen rom

I downloaded the rom via RM and all is fine and dandy. I checked install google apps and wipe data. It reboots then goes into the recovery mode where i have to press the VOL up key and camera button. Is this what is supposed to happen? What do i do once i get there? install .zip option or highlight wipe data/factory reset?

I thought this was supposed to be an automated update to the rom i want (cyanogen)
  16. romanrish

romanrish New Member

Are you sure you flashed Clockwork recovery first, or did you choose the sprecovery option. You need to have clockwork flashed for it to be automatic.
  17. mightym

mightym Member

I installed clockwork first in RM. It shows it under my settings in RM. So I'm sure. I even made a backup rom before I downloaded cyanogen. I never installed sprecovery with RM.
  18. virtualhuman

virtualhuman New Member

I'm having issues getting CM to come up too. I have tried both CM and SPR from RM but I only got in once. Usually I just get the /!\

EDIT: when CM wouldn't come up repeatedly I switched to SPR, and it came up. Odd that it isn't working with reliability.
  19. mightym

mightym Member

Now i got it into clockwork once i updated to the latest RM and clockwork 1.1.7.8.4, but now when it reboots into clockwork it ends up aborting due to error in /sdcard/clockworkmod/download/koush.romraid.com/motorola/sholes/cyanogen_ota_eng.koush_5.0.5.3.zip

any ideas? should i remove this file from sd card and try to reinstall it within RM?

btw, when i reboot from clockwork it makes me do the google sign in to sync. but i find it weird some of my apps are still there after this whole mess.

the cyanogen file is 69.2 MB in size. does that look right?
  20. virtualhuman

virtualhuman New Member

So apparently it's only booting into recovery once when I choose one in RM - whichever one, CM or SPR - then on next boot reverting to stock recover. This is... making things difficult on my first attempt at flashing a ROM. To say the least.
Search tags for this page
how do i use rom manager
how does rom manager work
how rom manager works

how to use rom manager

how to use rom manager app

rom manager

rom manager faq
rom manager how to
rom manager how to use
use of rom manager
using rom manager