FAQ Thread

OP
Jonas

Jonas

Reaction score
Sure, but wanted to see if anyone had any comments or changes!

Alright Silver, I posted up your write up word for word, with a few spacing changes, and gave you credit directly under the write up, and in my credit section, I hope that works for you!

OP
Jonas

Jonas

Reaction score
you could add bootloader
android recover/ stock recovery
you have directions how to get to recovery, but just under factory reset, but there are more options
wipe partition cache and install update zip both i've used
Clockwork Recovery, bootstrap, rom manager and
CWR options: wipe partition cache, battery stats, install zip, wipe Delvik cache, fix permissions, etc
or link to a post or thread that has explained these already

I have posted a link to your FAQs a few times already

This is on my to-do list tonight, I will try to finish it tonight or tomorrow, and PM you with the results, and probably give you credit suggesting the idea, if thats ok with you. The house isn't going to clean itself though, so it may be late tonight. :p

silver6054

Reaction score
A few days ago, I found a need for the opposite of this, Infrequently Asked Questions! I had a problem with my daughter's HTC Incredible 2, so posted on the forum there. I was quickly told by a super-mod that this sort of error doesn't usually happen, so (after trying a tweak he didn't expect to work) try a factory reset. When that created even stranger results (the Factory Reset process force-closed!) he said try again and if that doesn't work, do an RUU (like SBF) or, more likely, return to Verizon.

This sort of stuff is really very useful, as it tells you there is no need to look for subtle solutions, try reset, rewrite, return... I guess once the FAQ contains all the info, then we can say do this if it isn't in the FAQ!

OP
Jonas

Jonas

Reaction score
A few days ago, I found a need for the opposite of this, Infrequently Asked Questions! I had a problem with my daughter's HTC Incredible 2, so posted on the forum there. I was quickly told by a super-mod that this sort of error doesn't usually happen, so (after trying a tweak he didn't expect to work) try a factory reset. When that created even stranger results (the Factory Reset process force-closed!) he said try again and if that doesn't work, do an RUU (like SBF) or, more likely, return to Verizon.

This sort of stuff is really very useful, as it tells you there is no need to look for subtle solutions, try reset, rewrite, return... I guess once the FAQ contains all the info, then we can say do this if it isn't in the FAQ!

LOL on a FC for the Factory reset! I have always been a fan of keeping insurance on my phone and doing a little white lie, or playing stupid. But I have been chastised many many times on the forums for suggesting insurance fraud, or out-right lying to a company that makes Trillions off of us yearly. How dare I...:icon_ lala:

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
LOL on a FC for the Factory reset! I have always been a fan of keeping insurance on my phone and doing a little white lie, or playing stupid. But I have been chastised many many times on the forums for suggesting insurance fraud, or out-right lying to a company that makes Trillions off of us yearly. How dare I...:icon_ lala:

they are insuring a semi-open source android phone, like they don't know people are messing with it till it breaks

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
This is on my to-do list tonight, I will try to finish it tonight or tomorrow, and PM you with the results, and probably give you credit suggesting the idea, if thats ok with you. The house isn't going to clean itself though, so it may be late tonight. :p

Thanks it's looking pretty good

OP
Jonas

Jonas

Reaction score
they are insuring a semi-open source android phone, like they don't know people are messing with it till it breaks

Just imagine the mayhem if we had the bootloader unlocked... also, my gracious thanks to you and everyone who have included my FAQ in their signature! Albeit a few sections, it seems most of this FAQ could apply to all android users, not just D2G users.

silver6054

Reaction score
In this case, the phone was actually stock. The rooting process for these phones took too much work (have to downgrade from 2.3.4 etc). Nice to see that they can totally mess themselves up! But a reset then changing theme/skin 4 times fixed it (doing the same thing three times didn't, but the fourth did. Oh well)

OP
Jonas

Jonas

Reaction score
In this case, the phone was actually stock. The rooting process for these phones took too much work (have to downgrade from 2.3.4 etc). Nice to see that they can totally mess themselves up! But a reset then changing theme/skin 4 times fixed it (doing the same thing three times didn't, but the fourth did. Oh well)
Sometimes you just gotta chalk it up to the Droid magic. No one can explain it, it just happens.

OP
Jonas

Jonas

Reaction score
Didn't see http://rootzwiki.com under useful sites I would include it
even though it's more for Developers

and http://forum.xda-developers.com great site, not just for developers

sorry you have xda
didn't recognize as Android & Windows Phone: Tablets, Apps, & ROMs @ xda-developers
I
just go to the forum i guess

Good idea, I dunno how I forgot that site! I have learned a lot of little work arounds from there. And I thought I put up the XDA forums link. I didn't mean to put up the link for the regular site.

Timetripper

Reaction score
Jonas, I am new to DF & my D2G and I just wanted to say how much I appreciate all the really great info in this thread you and the others have assembled. Two thumbs up :)

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

OP
Jonas

Jonas

Reaction score
Jonas, I am new to DF & my D2G and I just wanted to say how much I appreciate all the really great info in this thread you and the others have assembled. Two thumbs up :)

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Thanks man, the only thing I ask is when you see someone else whose a noobie, pass on the info. This is a working progress, so keep checking back, and if you need any help, feel free to pm me.

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
What is bootloader?
I've never have pulled the battery, unless phone is bootlooping, is sbf more reliable that way?
alt method: you can get to bootloader pressing both volume buttons while powering up

What is bootstrapping? and CWR options
there several options that can be used for non-romers
fix permissions, backup, wipe caches, wipe battery stats, restore backups, etc

OP
Jonas

Jonas

Reaction score
What is bootloader?
I've never have pulled the battery, unless phone is bootlooping, is sbf more reliable that way?
alt method: you can get to bootloader pressing both volume buttons while powering up

What is bootstrapping? and CWR options
there several options that can be used for non-romers
fix permissions, backup, wipe caches, wipe battery stats, restore backups, etc

Those additions look good, but I am going to rewrite what I put up tomorrow, and I will certinaly add what you wrote there. I don't fully understnad what you wrote in the top half though. Are you asking me that question, or are you suggesting that as a section in the FAQ? The answer is that SBFing doesn't need to be done unless you have bricked your phone, or just want a fresh base to start on. I think that answers your question if I understand it correctly.