FAQ Thread

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Thanks for this. Its definitely going in my signature with a note to rtfm (or in this case thread) before pm'ing

OP
Jonas

Jonas

Reaction score
Thanks for this. Its definitely going in my signature with a note to rtfm (or in this case thread) before pm'ing

Thanks a lot! I think I cited you in the citation, most of the stuff I learned on here was from you. And your write ups.!

silver6054

Reaction score
Thanks a lot! I think I cited you in the citation, most of the stuff I learned on here was from you. And your write ups.!

Yes, thanks. 2 points though:

1) I agree with G.Y. that a wiki really is the way to go, as you put more stuff in, it is easier to organize and search. Perhaps edit this into her droid wiki.
2) Just pet peeve on *228! "This should be done at least once a month, to make sure that your phone is updated with new cell towers in your area. Sometimes it can help your signal strength and other times it will have no affect. It just depends on if your carrier has gained any new access to cell towers around your location." The last sentence is right, it's all to do with new roaming agreements, not new towers, so i think MOST of the time this has no impact. Certainly "at least once a month" is too much unless you live outside the verizon standard area.

OP
Jonas

Jonas

Reaction score

1) I agree with G.Y. that a wiki really is the way to go, as you put more stuff in, it is easier to organize and search. Perhaps edit this into her droid wiki.
2) Just pet peeve on *228! "This should be done at least once a month, to make sure that your phone is updated with new cell towers in your area. Sometimes it can help your signal strength and other times it will have no affect. It just depends on if your carrier has gained any new access to cell towers around your location." The last sentence is right, it's all to do with new roaming agreements, not new towers, so i think MOST of the time this has no impact. Certainly "at least once a month" is too much unless you live outside the verizon standard area.

Alright, I'll make that change, and I'm really not sure how to edit wiki's as I'm not an avid wiki user, but G.Y., if I have included anything you have not, or would like to quote me, I am more than glad to agree to that!

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)

could add " *228 if you are plan traveling outside your normal area" could save you from getting in a dead zone

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
sorry, wiki hasn't been updated for GB stock recovery change
was editing my post when you posted

silver6054

Reaction score
One typo: "cahce" for "cache" in "My phone is running slow, what should I do?"

Also, I think it needs a small explanation of the difference between factory reset and doing an SBF. You explain in each place, but I think the question "Which should I do?" will come up.

So, something like: A factory reset will not undo any changes you may have made to *system* files (presumably while you were rooted). So if you have deleted files that you need to receive an update, or otherwise messed things up(!) a factory reset is not enough. Your options generally are a) get the files or system from a backup that you made (you did do a backup didn't you!) b) get copies of the files from someone with a stock phone, c) do an SBF.
For other issues, when you cannot find a more specific solution, people will recommend first doing a factory reset, and if that doesn't fix the issue, do an SBF. But always look for a specific solution first.

OP
Jonas

Jonas

Reaction score
One typo: "cahce" for "cache" in "My phone is running slow, what should I do?"

Also, I think it needs a small explanation of the difference between factory reset and doing an SBF. You explain in each place, but I think the question "Which should I do?" will come up.

So, something like: A factory reset will not undo any changes you may have made to *system* files (presumably while you were rooted). So if you have deleted files that you need to receive an update, or otherwise messed things up(!) a factory reset is not enough. Your options generally are a) get the files or system from a backup that you made (you did do a backup didn't you!) b) get copies of the files from someone with a stock phone, c) do an SBF.
For other issues, when you cannot find a more specific solution, people will recommend first doing a factory reset, and if that doesn't fix the issue, do an SBF. But always look for a specific solution first.

Would you let me quote you on that, and put that under a section called "The Differences between Factory Reset and SBF"? I will give you credit directly under the section, and in the thanks section at the bottom.