FAQ for our roms

Discussion in 'Team Chaos' started by adrynalyne, Apr 21, 2010.

1. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    FAQ for our roms [updated 4/28]

This, like everything else, is subject to change.

Q: Is this rom built from source, or copy and paste?
    A: Both. This rom was built from the ESE81 source tree, using cyanogen and koush's overlays. A lot of work has been done to remove CM specific programs that did not fit our plan for the rom (this is most/all of them). Virtually all cm-specific features that were added by the overlays have been removed. This includes the init.d scripts, various programs in /system/xbin and /system/bin/, and Nexus One specific settings under...settings :D Spare parts, which is to be included in all future roms, but available for download, has been compiled from cyanogen source, removing the options not relevant to this rom. Busybox has also been compiled from source. The kernel, and accompanying modules were compiled by us from source as well.
    As for the copy and paste portions, certain applications such as the SuperUser, File Manager, and download crutch lite were indeed not built from source.

Q: Will CM themes or non Team CHAOS themes work on this rom?
    A: No, they will not and will likely cause you to not be able to boot.

Q: Should I wipe before installing?
    A: Coming from any other rom, yes. Upgrading, well that's up to you, but is recommended.

Q: Why is there less space available in this rom?
    A: Great question. A lot of rom devs zipalign the /system/app apks and then optipng them. This allows for a speed increase, while optimizing space as well. While this works great in theory, it tends to break applications. So, I used a different program than I usually use (usually, xultimate), and I painstakingly optimized what I could, tested, found what broke, replaced those with the original unoptimized copies, etc. So in short, there is a little less space available, but at the advantage of knowing that I chose the path of the most stable, while optimizing things I found safe to optimize. The end result, I hope, was to create a rom that was zippy and doesn't force close when you look at it funny.

Q: CM has 'xx' feature. When or will you add this?
    A: While its possible this may happen, its not entirely within the scope of our vision. We do not want to be a ripoff of cyanogenmod, nor do we hope to compete with them in popularity. We simply wish to...exist :D Feature overload or copying is not something we want to end up happening. Any features we borrow, we give credit and make sure we have permission, if the source is not open.

Q: Which kernels can I use?
    A: I've found that (obviously) my own kernels work, as do chevyno1 kernels, and p3droid kernels. adamz kernels PROBABLY work as well. Keep in mind that not all kernels out there are the same version with different features. The kernel I built is the same version that is shipped in the official OTA ESE81 update.

Q: Why doesn't my home button work, and where is the market icon?
    A: Please install Google Apps.

#1 adrynalyne, Apr 21, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  2. hedney3

hedney3 Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    perfectly said. this rom is here as a creation of our own work.....we are trying to put the best and most stable rom we can put out on the market with out pasting and copying from others. Adrynalyne is working his hardest to put his best work out there when it comes to the build and the kernels (and much, much, more). and Bgill along with a new member tech are working very hard to get everything, and i mean everything :D, working with themes. So thanks everyone for your support and we hope you stick around for what is to come in the future.

3. MonkeyTime

MonkeyTime Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I can only speak for myself, but the work of your team has been outstanding and is appreciated!

Looking forward to future Chaos team success stories......

Chris

4. pullmehome

pullmehome Member

Ratings:
    +0
    this rom is awesome. I expect it to explode with popularity after the stability and speed are spread around forums and youtube vids. As I said before in other post I swore off roms completely until I decided to give this new one a last shot and to me it s better than all the others for me and I tried all flavors besides a few in our roms section. No disrespect to other devs they are talented as well, but I just had too many issues with other roms

5. carlz28

carlz28 Premium Member
    Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    It's only gonna get better ;)

6. alnerts

alnerts New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I signed up to same the same thing. I've tried all the others and while they are great NOTHING like the speed and stability of this rom. Just not a fan of the red :D

7. hedney3

hedney3 Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much, and we have numerous themes. including an unthemed thats got stock colors and icons. have fun :)

8. alnerts

alnerts New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just downloaded and installed the unthemed rom from this forum section (v1.2). I was using clockwork rom manager so I wasn't aware of it. Thanks again, its a great rom.

9. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    Bumpity!!!!

10. hedney3

hedney3 Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    shmubity......is this one of those rhyming games

11. ViciousCircle

ViciousCircle Android Addict
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    flumpity! yeah, I went there!

12. RedBull

RedBull Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Now that TC is on ROM manager...is there a way to find out compatibility with other developers themes? I see quite a few there, but don't wanna try one and have it screw up my phone. Yeah...I could back it up and go back, but is there an easy way to find out compatibility with Adrynalyne and bgills work?