Fancy Widgets/Go Launcher questions

Conz

Reaction score
I set go as my laucher, and everything seems fine except a few things that are killing me... when i hard press the screen and want to add a widget, they aren't all accessable. I downloaded a picture frame widget (not that important) and fancy widgets for a weather widget id like to use. I can open fancy widgets in the app drawer, but I can't get the widget on my screen, it's not in the list to choose from, and i have no clue how to get it to show up there. Also, when i click the "running" tab in my app drawer, the whole phone is running, it's crazy. mobile im is always running, i never open it. amazon appstore, the market, facebook (havent even logged in in a month) multi-icon (havent even used in go launcher) gmail (never check email) what is this? i only have 221m/620m of free memory. this has got to be killing the battery, no? stuff like this happened in sense when i got the phone, but i dont remember how i prevented it, or if i even did. if i close the programs, within seconds facebook and mobile im are back amongst others. please help, this is aggravating. While I'm at, why does everything i type here show up in a huge block text? I tried to hit enter.

ABQNM

Reaction score
First, GO Launcher will give you 2 options for widgets. When you long press the screen you should see Widgets and GO Widgets. Widgets will be where Fancy Widgets is. If you are running this over Sense, you will not have access to the Sense widgets with anything but the Sense launcher.

As to your running apps situation, that is normal. Certain apps will always be running, but they may not necessarily be active. Android can put processes to "sleep" where they are in memory so they can be called up quickly but they are not using resources while asleep. The phone has plenty of memory for this and the more memory the device has, the more apps Android will let use the memory. If your phone were to get low on memory, Android will kill off those apps to make room for foreground apps.

Only if they are showing up in your battery manager are they using battery.

Amazon App Store, for example, has to run because any apps that were purchased through it (or gotten for free) require the app for authorization. Sure there are some apps that could be using battery, but most of the apps that run in the background that you never use are either part of the system and Android is keeping them in memory or 3rd party apps that other apps rely on to be running. Just don't keep killing them off. That will waste battery. Killing them off and them having to re-load will use more battery than most of the apps just running.

OP
C

Conz

Reaction score
thanks for the reply. When i long press - widgets, this is my list. 4 different options from the alarm clock app i downloaded/Battery widget (which i use)/Calender/ Data Usage/ Google/ Screen Tips/ Latitude/ Market/ MLB At Bat/ Multicon/ Music/ Power Control/ Search/ Slacker/ Radio/ Traffic/ Tune in Radio/ Youtube/ that's it, that's all i see, and that's all i can access. I open Fancy widgets app and set the weather widget i want, but there seems to be no way to get it on my screen, i dont understand. There's nothing about this even if i google it or check their FAQs. and seriously, why do all my replies come out in one big paragraph?

ABQNM

Reaction score
You may want to try un-installing,rebooting and re-installing fancy widgets. It should appear in that list. I am using it with go launcher with no issues. I am using the paid version but it still showed up before I authorized the app so I know it works on the free version too. Something likely didn't install correctly.

Sent from my brain using human to phone transport technology.

ABQNM

Reaction score
As for your replies being one big block of text - first be sure you don't have something like noscript running and blocking the site. That will cause formatting issues. Also in your settings here make sure you have the advanced editor turned on.

Sent from my brain using human to phone transport technology.

OP
C

Conz

Reaction score
damn, i paid for it. if i uninstall, I'd have to pay again, right? either way, thank you. You know of any other good weather widgets? All i want is a small widget on my home screen that shows the temp and maybe a weather icon, no animation really. i had noscript running, good call.

ABQNM

Reaction score
If you paid for it you should be able to re-download just fine. I know they changed how their app authorizes, but if you got it from the market you just re-download the Fancy Widgets Unlocker. It won't make you pay again. Fancy Widgets is very nice and I like it a lot. For just the temperature, you could use weatherbug, but I would try to get FW to work as it has many great features and skins.

NoScript is essential but sometimes it is hard to notice that it is blocking something. xD

OP
C

Conz

Reaction score
uninstalled, re-installed... nothing.

installed beautiful widgets... nothing.

they just aren't in my widget list. i want to punch the wall.

ABQNM

Reaction score
Maybe try clearing data on go-launcher and fancy widgets. Not sure why they won't show up when clearly some widgets do... Do they show up in the list for other launchers or the stock launcher?

OP
C

Conz

Reaction score
ya know what, i was able to somehow just get a little temperature icon on my notification bar (the top bar, not sure if that's the proper name) so that'll do. I just wanted the weather without having to click around. im fine with that. the widgets still arent in the widget list though, not sure how i even managed to get what i go, but thats fine.

thanks for all the replies, i guess im good.

as far as showing up elsewhere, i set up go as my default launcher (probably not the best idea) so i dont even know how to get back to sense, but im not missing it much.

ABQNM

Reaction score
You're welcome. Yes notification bar is correct. To go back to stock the easy way on Go Launcher is to just press menu > preferences and then choose exit go launcher. It will ask if you want to clear the default and choose yes. Then it will pop up asking to choose a launcher. Just don't choose the set as default if you are just checking. If you did not check set as default, pressing the home button will bring the menu up again. Just so you have the info in case you want to explore more. Glad you got what you needed though.

OP
C

Conz

Reaction score
hmm, my clocks are failing me again, I just can't access them. seems like any widget on my sd card is unavailable to open on my screen. im not leaving them on the phone, what's the problem here? frustrating, thought i had my ideal set up, but now im having these problems again

edit - I guess widgets have to remain on the phone and not the sd card? why is that?

ABQNM

Reaction score
That would be the answer. Any app that you need to access the widget cannot be on the SD card. Has to be in the phone memory. It is done because the SD card is A. slow and B. gets unmounted every time you connect to the computer, so you would have to re-add the widget or reload the launcher every time you connected to PC.

OP
C

Conz

Reaction score
well this thread was a huge waste of your time lol. i guess that was the answer i needed all along. thanks a lot.

ABQNM

Reaction score
Nah not a waste of time. Glad you got it resolved. lol I don't know why I didn't think of that right away. I guess I have been dealing with all of this for so long I forgot to mention the first rule of widgets. It didn't even cross my mind I guess because I never install anything to the SD card except big games.