Family Plan of 4 Lines, Should I get rid of Unlimited? Your input is appreciated.

mikekhelxD

Reaction score
I know you're probably sick and tired of this kind of thread, but this will be a huge decision for my family and I. Here are some info in a nutshell:

Existing family plan:

- Unlimited data, txts, 1400 minutes
- 4 lines ($30 for web/data each)
- All eligible for upgrades (Rezound, 3X RAZR Maxx)
- Paying $260 tax not included

Anyway, my family and I are discussing about upgrading the plan couple days ago. Two of my sisters are in need of upgrade ASAP and planning to get S5 or HTC M8. So, if they decided to pay retail for their phone, it would be around $1200 tax not yet included (California). I've talked to my sister about this and we'll probably just upgrade all lines anyway since my Rezound is borrowed. My mom can do without the upgrade, but she doesn't want to get left behind when we upgrade our phones anyway. Basically, we're going to upgrade 4 lines.

So far if my calculation is correct, here are the breakdown.

NON-Edge Plan:

- $150 for 20GB Plan/month
- $40 X 4 = $160/month for access fee for all 4 smartphones
- $199.99 X 4 = $799.96 (Current offer for M8 and S5)
- TOTAL = $8239.96 for 24 Months Pre-Tax w/ each phone $199.99 PAID

EDGE Plan:

- $150 for 20GB Plan/monthly
- $40-25 X 4 = $60/monthly for access fee. $15 per line if on Edge plan
- $24.99 per line X 4 lines X 24 months = $2399.04
- TOTAL = $7439.04 including 4 phones for 24 months pre-tax

Overall Savings w/ Edge compared to non-edge (share everything plan) for 24 months = $800.92

If I were to keep our existing unlimited plan, our monthly for the next 2 years + 2 retail phone ($1200) = $7440 pre tax w/ only 2 phones. If w/ 4 phones = $8640. So, if we compare my existing plan and upgrade all 4 lines to the edge plan with 4 upgrades, we'll save about $1200 no tax included on anything.

Also, I chatted with a Verizon representative, there is no upgraded or activation fee as well if we enroll on the Edge plan.

Do you think it will be wise for us to upgrade and leave the unlimited days behind and go for the edge plan? Personally, my mom doesn't use much data. Probably around 200mb at the most per month. My two sisters combined probably reach 5-6gb combined per month. I, however, goes beyond that. With 2 weeks to go in our cycle, i'm already hitting around 6-7gb, and that's hardly with any streaming of videos. Of course, we would have to get use to connecting to our Wi-Fi. We're thinking about upgrading our old DSL plan anyway to U-Verse or cable internet anyway. Verizon Fios is not offered here at the heart of Los Angeles area. That is why we are looking at the 20GB plan just to be on the safe side. Already updated my Garmin GPS unit as my car doesn't have GPS :/

Also, the lingering feeling of Verizon getting rid of the grandfathered plans doesn't sit well with my sisters.

With the numbers and all above, moving on from unlimited to edge doesn't seem quite that bad especially this time around.

What do you think?

Also, if you know any deals aside from the EDGE, please state it. I'd consider all the plans out there.

Last edited:

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Personally, I think those prices are outrageous. Check with the competition. T Mobile may do a lot better for you.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
it looks like you are the only one burning through the data, or concerned about it. in that case, you could buy only your phone outright and stay on unlimited, while the other 3 go on a new plan and reduce the monthly data from 20g to 10g. from your quote, 10g should be more than enough for them, and the savings from 20g to 10g plan should more than cover the cost of your non subsidized phone.

just my 2c

OP
M

mikekhelxD

Reaction score
it looks like you are the only one burning through the data, or concerned about it. in that case, you could buy only your phone outright and stay on unlimited, while the other 3 go on a new plan and reduce the monthly data from 20g to 10g. from your quote, 10g should be more than enough for them, and the savings from 20g to 10g plan should more than cover the cost of your non subsidized phone.

just my 2c

I was not aware I can do that. I just assumed that if one line upgrades from the family plan, the whole plan will be affected. Personally, my line does not need an upgrade, I can stick with the Rezound. Also, my line is an add on, my mother's line is the primary one. So, can we just upgrade the 3 lines and have my line be kept on our existing plan.

EDIT: actually, family plan for the edge needs 4 lines min. If we individualize all lines, we'd pay more when all combined.

Last edited:
OP
M

mikekhelxD

Reaction score
Personally, I think those prices are outrageous. Check with the competition. T Mobile may do a lot better for you.

I've actually thought about it, but for some reason, our house is still a dead spot for t Mobile as it was years ago.

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have unlimited data and there is no way I will give it up.
My daughter and wife use lots of data and I do too.

If you want to switch over, sell the lines and get new ones.
Selling the lines allows someone else to get unlimited data, for a price.
You could potentially make hundreds selling the lines:
Take over my phone plan

They will need to kick me off before I give up my unlimited.
I have about 8 days left this period and I'm at 8.7GB.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
Either all phones go to the Share plan or none of them

Sent from my Droid Maxx

thats not true for the standard share plan.
we used to have 3 dumb phones and my unlimited smart line. one of the dumb phones upgraded last year to a smart/share/new plan and the other 3 lines including my unlimited (now month to month as the contract is expired) line are still as they were.

i wasnt aware the edge plan has a 4 phone minimum and cant comment on that.

OP
M

mikekhelxD

Reaction score
Alright, here's the update.

We went through with the Edge plan. So for the next 2 years, our bill will go from 286 with tax to around 310-330 with tax, thats if we stick to the 26 per phone monthly. We will likely finish it sooner though. Then after the 24th month or if finish early on the phone payments, our bill will decrease to 210, 76 lower than we're currently paying. Im pretty sure we'll likely hold on to the S5s for a lot longer.

We decided to order it online as the store we went to really kept pushing for us to add a tablet in order to get the access fees discount. And he wanted to charge us $150 for a 16gb plan, when it is supposed to be 20gb. His final price was 308 16gb vs online 310 for 20gb. And he was talking with the manager though. He was a bit surprised when I took out my notes. I even had to explain him the edge plan because he somewhat didnt know the details of it. Actually the store had the details on the wall.

Maybe it is just this time, but that store has been honoring verizon online price as far as I can remember. Then again, our sales associate cant even look at us when we're discussing the notes I had. He would often tell me, i dont really know crap.

Last edited:

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Lots of confusion but you got it resolved.