False notification sounds after ICS upgrade

Discussion in 'Droid Razr and Razr Maxx ICS discussion' started by bkirk22, Jul 4, 2012.

1. bkirk22

bkirk22 New Member

I started getting random notification sounds the same day I upgraded to ICS. There will be no actual notifications, but the notification light will blink until I pull the notification window down. I have examined every app and every setting I can think of and made sure the notifications are off. I have already reported noticing a substantial drop in signal strength since the upgrade. I am trying to troubleshoot the notification problem a bit more before reporting it. Not happy with ICS upgrade so far.

Anyone else experiencing the phantom notification sounds?
  2. 94lt1

94lt1 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

What color is the flashing light?? Purple??? Do you use yahoo mail? If do, that's possibly your issue..

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!
  3. bkirk22

bkirk22 New Member

Flashing green. Don't use Yahoo mail. Use gmail and hotmail and have turned notifications off on both.
  4. 94lt1

Does this happen when your charging the device?? Are there any circumstances that are similar when it happens?? If nit, time to try a fdr, but when you do, unselect backup and restore. That way you get a clean install, and new settings on all of your apps...

5. Yngwie77

Yngwie77 New Member

Yes...but when my device us charging it is totally unusable....apps open and close on their own...i press buttons and totally different things happen...i cannot use my touch screen at all while charging.....this was the case even before ics upgrade but now its 100x worse....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  6. thaDroidz

thaDroidz New Member

Using the official moto charger?

----posted MAXXED OUT WITH dessert----
  7. 94lt1

Yep that's my question, are you using the charger and cable that came with the device???

And also, have you checked to see if your full charge notification is on?

You should really be using the supplied charger and cable... the charger is VERY important.

8. bkirk22

bkirk22 New Member

It does not happen when I am charging the device. I have watched Wi-Fi signal, phone signal, and everything else and i can't see a pattern. Notification sounds usually come in groups of two to five within five minutes or so. I suppose my next step would be a factory reset. Do you think that is a good idea?
  9. Yngwie77

Yngwie77 New Member

I did the reset and it helped alot...phone is getting better with every charge.
    And thats what itwas with me....its an official verizon charger but not the original motorola one so that explains that...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  10. Exalted911

Exalted911 New Member

If this is happening while charging it might be that you have the charged notification on. it will notify you when you charged your phone in full. if you pickup your phone and play with it for a few secs it resets the notification and it will notify you again that your phone is full after a couple of secs.
  11. Ghostwheel

Ghostwheel Member

Quick question - do you have LightFlow installed?
  12. bkirk22

bkirk22 New Member

No, i don't.
  13. Exalted911

Exalted911 New Member

I suggest you do a factory reset, maybe you enabled some notification on the developers option. also that problem that you have while charging that you cant use the phone sounds like a major factory problem. take the phone back to verizon and see if they will give you a new one.
  14. bkirk22

bkirk22 New Member

That was someone else who jumped in with the charging problem. My phone charges fine.

I've checked the notifications in the developers option and all are off. I've noticed now the notifications occurring at 2 different times. 1. When wifi is on. I've made sure all wifi notifications are off. 2. When the Swype icon appears in the notifications window. I think you're right. Need to do a factory reset. However, waiting to hear back from tech support on the drop in signal strength i reported after the upgrade. That problem is not just a problem of showing fewer bars. I've noticed a huge drop in real-world signal strength immediately after the upgrade. Since the upgrade, i now have to hug windows on the west side of my house to place calls. Didn't have to do that before.
  15. kadidle

kadidle New Member

I just googled this problem and found this forum and your post on this issuse. Mine does the same thing, random green notifications and sounds. I have had the ICS for about a week or 2 and now its does it radomly starting today. What did you do to solve the problem? Hard reset?
  16. MunkieNub

MunkieNub New Member

Damn, I was hoping to find definitive information on this issue. Yesterday this exact problem started for me so I tried tracking my phone looking for patterns of conditions: battery level, WiFi, apps running, apps installed, signal strength and type (4G/3G) and I have found nothing. While charging it seems to sound off at every 10% increment but while discharging, no patterns are showing. I suppose I'll do a factory reset and get back to you on the result kadidle. Damn all ghosts in the machine!!!!!:icon_evil:

I forgot to add the most crucial information: known changes. I spent a few minutes looking at the apps I have no use for and tried to uninstall some of the factory mandatory (<---which is b.s.) apps. Before, I was constantly bothered to update these so eventually I caved because the notifications were pissing me off. Maybe, the phone is trying to tell me "updates available" but due to my deleting, the text is failing just as someone mentioned their apps were doing while the device was plugged in. I went to Play Store and selected Slacker Radio, since I knew for a fact I tried to delete that app from the Settings->Apps menu. When I uninstalled in from Play Store, I rebooted and the first thing that happened was I got a text from Gold's Gym (membership cancelled 16 months ago during the 4 year membership never received a single text) and Slacker Radio started updating itself automatically. This was roughly 10-15 minutes ago and I have yet to see a phantom notification. I shall whine more if it happens again, but I recommend trying this before a factory reset. If you're anything like me, it takes some time to modify factory settings back to my settings, not to mention re-downloading the apps I frequently use.

Btw I am fully aware of the mandatory apps workaround through rooting. No wise guys please.
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  17. kadidle

kadidle New Member

I noticed mine does it a lot when connect and disconnect from Wifi.... its getting really annoying though and like you said I dont want to do a factory reset and re-download everything, unless it permanently fixes the problem.
  18. bkirk22

bkirk22 New Member

I have update notifications turned off. I know that isn't the problem because it started immediately after the ics upgrade.
    I've been troubleshooting and noticed the following:
    The false notifications only occur when wifi of on AND the phone signal is weak. I've watched the display and there seemed to be notifications when "signal is lost" and again when "signal is regained." Here again, the wifi has to be on and connected for this to happen. The wifi signal is strong.

When I get the notifications, there are usually 2 or 3 within 30 seconds or so. I have been through the menu dozens of times making sure I haven't missed a setting. This is driving me nuts.
  19. epim

epim New Member

bkirk22 - I have the exact same problems.
    Crap signal, Notification LED blinks green, Random notifications that drive me up the wall, and my phone screen periodically turns out without any reason.

Random notifications seem to happen more often when wifi is turned on. It seems to be i'm getting notifications whenever it juggles between 1x, 3g, and 4g. Which it does an awful lot.
  20. bkirk22

bkirk22 New Member

Hi epim,

I am seeing the exact same thing. Please let me know if you figure it out. I am thinking of doing a factory reset. Don't want to deal with the hassle though.
Search tags for this page
android false notifications
android notification sounds - specifically signal loss/regai
droid razr maxx phantom notification

droid razr maxx random notifications

droid razr notification sounds
droid razr random notification sound

droid razr random notifications

false notifications droid phone
motorola droid razr maxx problems

motorola razr notification sounds

my android makes notification sounds every 15 minutes