Fake Gingerbread ota update sent to DROID X's

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImaDroidPro

Reaction score
Motorola confirmed to me that hackers were sending out ota firmware disguised as Gingerbread and it has "bricked" many phones.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums

Reaction score
I'm going to go ahead and assume that this "OTA" hacker update is something that you download from various websites rather than something you get from the actual OTA process.

csimo

Reaction score
Motorola confirmed to me that hackers were sending out ota firmware disguised as Gingerbread and it has "bricked" many phones.

I can't speak for Motorola, but I know a little about the story they're telling people.

There wasn't any "fake" Gingerbread distributed, and it's not the software that is bricking the phones.

The problem is that people tried to install rooted versions of Gingerbread without knowing what they are doing. They downloaded a file and failed to follow or understand the instructions and ended up having problems. I doubt any of them were truly bricked, but it was beyond their ability to figure out what they did wrong so they complained to Verizon and Motorola.

You should never try to use bootstrap recovery, RSD Lite to load an SBF, or root your phone if you don't know what you're doing or aren't willing to spend hours fixing your own mistakes.

OP
ImaDroidPro

ImaDroidPro

Reaction score
3 moto reps told me that hackers were sending out OTA firmware that is bricking and damaging phones. Yeah ota to coincide with the actual ud

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
3 moto reps told me that hackers were sending out OTA firmware that is bricking and damaging phones. Yeah ota to coincide with the actual ud

Hahaha. This is simply outrageous.

Last edited:

csimo

Reaction score
A "hacker" can't send out any OTA no matter what they do. The OTA updates are controlled by Verizon.

The 'customer service' reps don't understand rooting and call any modification as being "hacked".

Just more people that don't understand.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
To the OP I say respectfully that making statements of this nature will probably stir up flaming.

Everyone knows that the least reliable source for anything is a rep. So unless you have a concrete source that's totally reliable, and trust me, that's hard to find It might be a good idea not to post threads of this nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.