Fair or Not?

nateccnn

Reaction score
WTF? Really? You guys are all (except one) condoning that the guy steals propertry?

Since it was not intentional I doubt the law could do anything to you. Take it back and explain to the store what happened. They will appreciate you being honest. Is it going to bankrupt Walmart? Doubt it. But it doesn't become right just because walmart has enough money to cover their loss. That kind of thinking is Bull Feces in my humble opine.

Do the right thing.

Of course...if you keep it you are no longer in that gray area of mistakenly taking something that's not yours. You have admitted knowing about it so it is now stealing if you keep it. The law can get you for that. Will they come for you? probably not. But that don't make it right.

Nate

OP
CrusoeCale

CrusoeCale

Reaction score
WTF? Really? You guys are all (except one) condoning that the guy steals propertry?

Since it was not intentional I doubt the law could do anything to you. Take it back and explain to the store what happened. They will appreciate you being honest. Is it going to bankrupt Walmart? Doubt it. But it doesn't become right just because walmart has enough money to cover their loss. That kind of thinking is Bull Feces in my humble opine.

Do the right thing.

Of course...if you keep it you are no longer in that gray area of mistakenly taking something that's not yours. You have admitted knowing about it so it is now stealing if you keep it. The law can get you for that. Will they come for you? probably not. But that don't make it right.

Nate

I'm not saying that I'm right, I'm just saying that karma should work both ways and not just toward me. Honestly, I would probably take it back if I thought they would have a clue what to do with it and if it wouldn't cause me any headache. Seeing as I'm visiting family in Jacksonville, Florida for the summer from my lazy Georgia town, I'm not quite used to feeling like I'm going to get shot everywhere I go.

But I do appreciate your opinion, that's the whole reason I made this thread. To see what others would do. :D

Reaction score
The other day, I was taking my defective Droid back to Wal-Mart ($100 cheaper than at Verizon or Best Buy) for a replacement. Before I went into the store, I took out my 16GB microSD card so that I could exchange it for the one that comes with the new Droid. The woman at the counter tried to tell me that I needed my contract in order to do the exchange. Not understanding why, we argued for about 3 minutes before she decided to look at my receipt and saw that I payed full price for it. The woman apologized and proceeded to examine the device. I explained to her how to remove the battery after a few seconds of watching her struggle. Her excuse was "That's what I thought, but I didn't want to break my nails". She tried to do some stuff on the cash register, then called for a Costumer Service Manager to come back. We waited for about 10 minutes, then she called again. The woman asked if I had the original credit card. After I explained that it was a gift and that I was out of town, she tried to tell me that there was nothing she could do without it. Cutting to the end, it took 4 people over a half an hour to work the cash register for the exchange. Through all the frustration, I forgot to mention that I still had the old MicroSD card (got out with 2 16GB SD cards). I remembered later while I was doing some grocery shopping but decided not to do anything about it. Some friends of mine say I was wrong for not saying anything. What do you guys think? What would you have done?

You little Thieving Bastard!!!! Jk, its Wal-mart, you know, the super store that is draining the life out of family business and middle America. The one that will one day control all of our Grocery and Pharmaceutical needs. That place, yeah, its o.k.. I say stick it to the man every chance you get. Even if its only 16GBs at a time.

MiXoLoGiSt

Reaction score
As a rep, its my job to account for everything before I process the return or exchange. If she realizes that she doesn't have it, then its gonna be her problem. Not yours.

Exactly. It is the employees job to make sure everything is there and if the woman at Wal-Mart didnt do this then it is her problem. I personally wouldn't take it back, especially after all the Hassle she gave you about trying to exchange it for another one.

You just came up on a 16GB SD card so congrats! lol.

MDriod

Reaction score
Honestly i would have taken it out too and kept it...why give it back you payed for it.

OSX2000

Reaction score
Jk, its Wal-mart, you know, the super store that is draining the life out of family business and middle America. The one that will one day control all of our Grocery and Pharmaceutical needs. That place, yeah, its o.k.. I say stick it to the man every chance you get. Even if its only 16GBs at a time.
I completely agree. Wal-Mart is a terrible company. They f*ck their employees up the rear with no lube at all, just so the customers can save a couple pennies (I'm not an employee, just very informed on the matter). The day that company dies will be the happiest day in American history since the revolution.

zenman77

Reaction score
Personally I would return it................ But that's me. It's been my experience that what comes around goes around.

Reaction score
If you took it back, I give a 99% probability of it ending up in the employee's pocket instead of being shipped back to motorola like it should be.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Detonation

Reaction score
The other day at the grocery store I had a coupon for buy 10 Powerades get 5 free. They were a dollar a piece, so it should have cost me $10+tax. After the cashier rang everything up, she tried scanning the coupon but she couldn't get it to pick up the barcode. So she manually entered the discount and my total came to ~$8. I didn't say anything. Was I wrong or was it the cashier's fault for not being able to read or do math?

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying that I'm right, I'm just saying that karma should work both ways and not just toward me. Honestly, I would probably take it back if I thought they would have a clue what to do with it and if it wouldn't cause me any headache. Seeing as I'm visiting family in Jacksonville, Florida for the summer from my lazy Georgia town, I'm not quite used to feeling like I'm going to get shot everywhere I go.

But I do appreciate your opinion, that's the whole reason I made this thread. To see what others would do. :D

Simple then.

You asked here, which means it does bother you enough to ask.

If you have to ask, then you know that you should take it back.

It doesnt matter what they do with it, most likely they won't, but you're in the clear.

So take it back. "In the struggle you guys had with 4 people trying to perform a exchange, we forgot about the SD card"...

BPB

Reaction score
If you took it back, I give a 99% probability of it ending up in the employee's pocket instead of being shipped back to motorola like it should be.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Agreed; or more likely ending up in the change drawer of the cash register for about 6 months because the employee won't know what it is or what to do with it.
Now me personally, I would have just copied all my data off of it to PC, formatted the card and returned the whole thing. But, I would have been expecting the employee to reject the return w/o the card in the first place.
You can safely believe that the Wal-Mart employee would thank you for not coming back with the SD card and making her do even more work with your return.
Sent from my Droid

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
The other day at the grocery store I had a coupon for buy 10 Powerades get 5 free. They were a dollar a piece, so it should have cost me $10+tax. After the cashier rang everything up, she tried scanning the coupon but she couldn't get it to pick up the barcode. So she manually entered the discount and my total came to ~$8. I didn't say anything. Was I wrong or was it the cashier's fault for not being able to read or do math?

Nope, that is entirely the cashiers fault.

You could either speak up or not, but the situation with the SD is slightly different IMO.

Darkseider

Reaction score
Seriously? You walked out with a $7 piece when bought in bulk like Moto does. It's a Class 2 part. Hell if anything they owed you twice that for the hassle they put you through and the time they wasted.

littlerick

Reaction score
Seriously? You walked out with a $7 piece when bought in bulk like Moto does. It's a Class 2 part. Hell if anything they owed you twice that for the hassle they put you through and the time they wasted.

so its ok to steal as long its $7 or less? why would they owe him twice? he got his money back (yes it took a while but doesnt everything at walmart)