Failed un-rooting... I think..

Gangrif

Reaction score
Maybe I'm not as bad off as i think, but things are not so good.

I seem to have fouled some things up on my incredible.

I rooted it, a few weeks ago, using unrevoked3.

The phone was in a used but stock state when i started. Froyo, installed via verizon's OTA update from 2.1 when they pushed it out to me (a few months back). I wanted to root, because I just couldn't resist. I'd had the phone long enough that i was comfortable with it. I'm a linux guy, and something of a hacker.

Anyway, back on track here. I rooted using unrevoked3 as i mentioned above. All went well, i used the phone, rooted, for a few weeks. I did not install any custom roms, i wanted root just so i would have the privileges to do things that i wanted to do, like wireless tethering free and whatnot.

A new verizon OTA update was pushed out, and i was unable to install it. I assumed this was due to the custom bootloader. Some googling confirmed this.

Today i set about un-rooting, so i could install this update. Then i'd decide afterward if i wanted to re-root or not. I found a howto online on how to replace the bootloader. It involved installing the "PB31IMG.zip" image. Now, i'll be the first to say i;m new to this, and wasn't certain what I was getting into, but the howto seemed thorough enough that i wasnt too concerned.

Well, i found myself in an unexpected state afterward. Instead of simply replacing the bootloader, it seems that the phone was reset, back to android 2.1. THis was a little upsetting, simply because i'd done quite a bit to make this phone the way i wanted it, and now that was all gone, but that wasnt such a big deal. All of my data was backed up from before i rooted (see that, i thought ahead). So i setup the phone, and found a few things not working right. One is exchange activesync, complaining of cert issues. I assume this will be fixed if i ever get back to 2.2, becaue it worked in 2.2 for me before this happened.

So i set about trying to get back to 2.2. I found another howto on updating the bootloader (i think anyway), wich i thought might kick my phone into grabbing 2.2 via OTA, so i did that. Right now here's where my software versions sit:

Firware: 2.1-update 1
Baseband: 2.05.00.06.11
Kernel: 2.6.29-2211329c
Build: 1.36.605.0 CL203589 release-keys
Software number 1.36.605.0

So, after my long-winded post.. Any idea what i might be able to do to get back to something like a stock 2.2? At this point, i'm not really worried about root, i'd just like the functionality of my phone back. If it means wiping the phone again, so be it. If i need to provide more info, please let me know.

Thanks!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Have some patience on getting an answer. I can't help you because it's an Incredible but when one of the RS guys show up I'm pretty sure they can fix you.

Really you're not in bad shape where you are right now. At least you're not experiencing boot loops or anything like that.

OP
Gangrif

Gangrif

Reaction score
No, you're right. At least the phone is usable.

Thanks for the comment. I keep wanting to tinker at this, but i get the feeling that anything i try from here on without guidance is going to get me deeper in the hole.

OP
Gangrif

Gangrif

Reaction score
Ok, I ended up running through those directions. And I'm back up and running on android 2.2 stock.

I still cant run this update that i originally un-rooted for though... At least at this point i could call Verizon if i cant get it going.

So after all this, i have to ask.

Is there no method of un-rooting without resetting the phone?

And if not, is there a good full phone backup utility i can use to preserve my data? Sure, i can copy my pictures and music and all of that off of the device, but i'm talking about app settings and whatnot.

Thanks!

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If you update to the newest Nov. OTA there is now way to root the device at this time. So don't be shocked when you can't reroot. If you have even the slightest itch that you may want to root again please reroot and do the unrevoked forever(IE s-off) then go back to stock leaving the bootloader unlocked.

The OTA was not installing because of the custom recovery not the unlocked bootloader. So you can have the unlocked bootloader and still get the OTA.

OP
Gangrif

Gangrif

Reaction score
If you update to the newest Nov. OTA there is now way to root the device at this time. So don't be shocked when you can't reroot. If you have even the slightest itch that you may want to root again please reroot and do the unrevoked forever(IE s-off) then go back to stock leaving the bootloader unlocked.

The OTA was not installing because of the custom recovery not the unlocked bootloader. So you can have the unlocked bootloader and still get the OTA.

Thanks. So might this be why i'm still unable to install the OTA?

Is there a way to tell what state i;m in right now? i.e., is the bootloader unlocked? Am i s-on or s-off?

There are a lot of pieces here that i'm still learning. Sorry if these questions seem novice.

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
We are all novice at some point. Boot into hboot and post what you see there. Booting into hboot is vol down and power at the same time while powering the device up.

OP
Gangrif

Gangrif

Reaction score
We are all novice at some point. Boot into hboot and post what you see there. Booting into hboot is vol down and power at the same time while powering the device up.

Hboot tells me:
Incrediblec xc ship s-on (i guess this is my answer)
hboot-0.92.0000
microp-0417
touch panel-atmel224_16ab
radio-2.15.00.07.28
Jul 23 2010,18:06:51

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I forgot one important part go into about phone and tell me your build number.

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well as it sits right now you are completely stock and are s-on(Locked bootloader). If you have any hint of wanting to root I would do it and it will apply the s-off.

This way you can get the OTA the official way(Unroot and wait) or update it with some tutorials that are out there while staying rooted.

This said the only thing worth having from the OTA is the new kernel that has the battery change for shorter charge times. This kernel is available and can be flashed while maintaining root.

Basically my stance root it and apply s-off. Then decide what you want to do. The unlocked bot loader will not affect you getting the update but will allow you to root again or maintain root and still get the advantages.

If you go to the official OTA there is no way as of now to root it.

Its alot of info and sometimes I do not describe things well so please feel free to ask any questions. And I apologize for the delay in getting back to you.

OP
Gangrif

Gangrif

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay. I went through the un-rooting, and havent given it much thought since.

I'm really considering re-rooting. I've not installed the OTA yet because, believe ir or not, it _still_ wont install, even though i'm stock now.

I have two questions.

1. WHere might i find, or what might i search for to find the manual update (with root) procedure you mentioned?

2. If i root again, is there a way to disable verizon's OTA notifications? Or will they stop once i've manually updated (i.e., the phone thinks its already up to date.).