Failed OTA update, now phone wont boot up

shrapn3l

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I have a standard Samsung S4, never rooted, never did anything other than standard Verizon updates.
Last night an OTA update attempted on my phone, it downloaded, and the phone rebooted with the message along the lines of "Updated failed, nothing was done to your phone, it was left as is".
Since then, the phone was just not all the right - apps wouldn't open and it just seemed slow.
This morning, even more apps would not open, so I figured a reboot would possibly resolve the issue - well that was the last I was able to use the phone. It boots up, plays the Samsung sound, and then gets stuck on the Verizon logo page.

So, off I went to Verizon, well, they were completely confused and were asking the weirdest questions - not to mention even that I had to show the guy what buttons to press to get to the recover booting screen.
So in the end, Verizon is apparently not able to help me fix this phone, and they are going to send me a new one (or rather a refurbished one.

The problem here is, that I am tired of Verizon constantly messing the software up, every time they have an update it causes some problems, and again they have abused half of my day, not to mention all the pissed of clients I have because I can not be reached.... sometime they just need to learn that they cannot keep on getting away with it. But, that s my problem.

My question is - is there a method to flash a standard Verizon ROM by using the SD card?
If not, does anyone else have any advice on how to load a ROM back onto this phone.
I am able to use the volume up button to get to the Android recovery System <3e> and also the volume down button to get to the custom ROM loader. Just to confirm however, my phone has never been rooted.

I don't really want to exchange the phone, because of course 2 weeks ago a had a really cool heat shrink plastic covering put on the phone which I had done in Dubai for $60, and besides the money, I don't know of anyone in the US that does it - so if I send my phone back, I lose that.

Any advice, or instructions?

Thanks a ton!

OP
S

shrapn3l

Reaction score
oh, just to also state, I have tried to follow the instructions on this page to load a stock ROM: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/sa...-factory-image-restore-verizon-galaxy-s4.html
It was the closest I could find to the solution of my problem.

It fails, with the error message:
<ID:0/004> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/004> NON-HLOS.bin
<ID:0/004> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/004> aboot.mbn
<ID:0/004> FAIL! (Auth)
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Question.. When you are in recovery, do you get any popup message? If so answer no and see if the phone boots properly. Have you tried pulling the battery for 10 minutes?

OP
S

shrapn3l

Reaction score
Jeffrey,
no pop up message. I can only use the down arrow to try load a custom ROM, and if I try the up arrow now it says that an update has failed, and I should try use KIES to resolve the problem. KIES does not detect the phone.

And yes, I have removed the batter overnight last night even.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
The OS you downloaded may be corrupt. I would download a fresh copy and try flashing it again. The only other option is a jTag service.