Failed Messanger

ethan_glaud

Reaction score
So i've gone through many messaging apps, but none have been working. My messages aren't sending. So then I set it so my messages would split, but still, some messages won't send. I really don't know why, sometimes when my messages won't send I use snap chat's chat. Are there apps like that, that I go through that then send the messages separately? Really, I just want to know what to do, how to make my messages send. They often don't send when i'm in a certain corner of the house that has really weak wifi, but won't send in other areas too. Right now i'm using Textra on a droid RAZR M.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Texts send only over mobile network unless you've got Google voice on specific carriers or something like that, so wifi signal shouldn't affect them.

How's your mobile connection signal when they fail?

You only need mobile data on fire mms (pictures, videos, etc).

Sent from my Note 4

OP
E

ethan_glaud

Reaction score
Texts send only over mobile network unless you've got Google voice on specific carriers or something like that, so wifi signal shouldn't affect them.

How's your mobile connection signal when they fail?

You only need mobile data on fire mms (pictures, videos, etc).

Sent from my Note 4

Are you sure it doesn't use wifi? I'm not sure what my reception is, they always fail in that spot, and I have poor wifi there. I'd feel like it's strong, because nobody else gets failed messages like I do, and my phone has a lot of problems, so I assume it's the phone and not my carrier.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yes, texts don't send over wifi. That's why they have plans with a certain number of texts, so they can charge extra if you go over.

This is a strange situation though. What other issues are you having with the phone?

Sent from my Note 4

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I had 4 RAZR M's at one point abs still have two in my home. Like @Jonny Kansas stated, I can assure you that texts do jot send while on WiFi with any Droid on Verizon, they send over the cell signal. The phone will switch from WiFi to cell signal to send the text and then switch back. If it's a MMS (pic or file text) there is a known issue with the 2013 Droids and not switching between WiFi and cell correctly, after the most recent update.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

OP
E

ethan_glaud

Reaction score
Yes, texts don't send over wifi. That's why they have plans with a certain number of texts, so they can charge extra if you go over.

This is a strange situation though. What other issues are you having with the phone?

Sent from my Note 4

My phone will freeze or be incredibly sluggish. Today it took my four tries to download an app. The battery is incredibly inconsistent, and often drains quickly even if I'm on airplane mode. And it's had many other small bugs that are very annoying to fix, which I've posted on here before.

OP
E

ethan_glaud

Reaction score
I had 4 RAZR M's at one point abs still have two in my home. Like @Jonny Kansas stated, I can assure you that texts do jot send while on WiFi with any Droid on Verizon, they send over the cell signal. The phone will switch from WiFi to cell signal to send the text and then switch back. If it's a MMS (pic or file text) there is a known issue with the 2013 Droids and not switching between WiFi and cell correctly, after the most recent update.

So what should I do? I know that with long texts I think they send as mms, correct? I just started splitting my long sms to small ones, but it didn't work, part three of a long text didn't send today.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
When you were working on those other small issues, did you do a factory reset? Sounds like you might benefit from a fresh start.

Sent from my Note 4

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
So what should I do? I know that with long texts I think they send as mms, correct? I just started splitting my long sms to small ones, but it didn't work, part three of a long text didn't send today.
I know it sucks, but the system update that came out right after KitKat introduced this bug. There are no known fixes...its a problem with the system update. The phone does not switch from WiFi to 4G/3G and back to send MMS texts like it should. You have to manually turn off WiFi to send or receive a MMS text. SMS texts should still send and receive just fine though when the phone is on WiFi. Are your normal SMS texts sending and receiving OK? Moto knows about the MMS / WiFi problem....maybe there will be a fix soon?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
As @cr6 and @Jonny Kansas have suggested, a FDR may help with a lot of the lag, sluggishness, and battery problems. Doing a FDR after the KitKat update and then again after the next System Update helped my RAZR M a lot...cleared up a lot of the little issues and my battery life was better. It will not help the MMS / WiFi issue, bit might help the phone work better overall.

OP
E

ethan_glaud

Reaction score
As @cr6 and @Jonny Kansas have suggested, a FDR may help with a lot of the lag, sluggishness, and battery problems. Doing a FDR after the KitKat update and then again after the next System Update helped my RAZR M a lot...cleared up a lot of the little issues and my battery life was better. It will not help the MMS / WiFi issue, bit might help the phone work better overall.

What do I need to know going into a FDR? Will all of my stuff be deleted? I can upgrade late next March, and i've been living with these issues for a while, I don't know if I want to lost everything. What does it involve?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
All files and apps on the phone (not the SD Card) will be wiped and the phone will be restored to a factory state....like when you first bought it. But it will retain the same Android Version and System Version. Only the apps that came with the phone will be left and you will have to update them, if needed. All other apps will have to be downloaded again from the Play Store. Its a good idea to make sure your important files are backed up on the SDCard, cloud storage, your PC, etc. I made a checklist a while back of all the Settings I like and things to remember to turn on again, etc. It has made it easier for me to do FDR's.