failed at rooting droid x

kmusmc

Reaction score
A little over a month ago I attempted to root my Droid x, the result was getting no further than a black permissions page, I decided to remove the superuser program entirely and found I couldn't, I reset my phone in an attempt to wipe it....now I am asking what I can do, which I should have done from the start , how do I remove it or get it to run? Help!!!

Reaction score
The superuser program when ran will come up blank until you start granting programs superuser status (and click the check-mark to remember this option)

Then when you open superuser it will list the programs you have granted this too.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

My DROID beat-up your iphone

OP
K

kmusmc

Reaction score
How do I grant programs to use it? I'm confused at this point and I am in need of things broke down barney style

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
How do I grant programs to use it? I'm confused at this point and I am in need of things broke down barney style

You have to open a root friendly program/app. Root Explorer, Bootstrap, Boot Logo changer and/or any other you need root to use:)

OP
K

kmusmc

Reaction score
I'll give that a shot, any recommendations?

Reaction score
The easy and free one is wireless tether-get it from market and when you first run it, it will ask for superuser rights

OP
K

kmusmc

Reaction score
Okay I tried a free root explorer and it sucked, I want to know what is free and what I can use to delete unwanted programs, oh and thanks a million the both of you, its working which I had't a clue it would

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Okay I tried a free root explorer and it sucked, I want to know what is free and what I can use to delete unwanted programs, oh and thanks a million the both of you, its working which I had't a clue it would

The free Root Explorer will not ask for permission, it is just like Astro, a file manager. Try wireless tether like Wyatt Earp suggests. Or maybe even ROM Manager free.

Last edited:
Reaction score

Pay for the full version of root explorer. Well worth the $.

Deleting vs renaming apps is quite the discussion. I use root explorer to rename my unwanted apps from .apk to .bak - the app still resides on the phone but does not run.when an update is available then I can just go in and change them back to.apk, reboot and have them all running again.

If you delete them and an update comes out you will be scrambling to find the lost programs.

Also there is a sticky thread -how to remove bloat ware and inside it is a list of apps you can"remove"without affecting something major. When you start doing this , I suggest do one at a time, reboot and see if it affected something.

dakoop

Reaction score
Rootexplorer is by far my most used program. Well worth it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

BalistikBill

Reaction score
Root explorer is definately worth purchasing way easier than using terminal lol.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
LOL! How did this thread turn into a "get Root Explorer" thread?

I thought he was trying to figure out SU permission:)

OP
K

kmusmc

Reaction score
That's the funny part, I had it installed only I had read elsewhere that it shouldn't be blank, so now that I'm rooted I want to use the super user to remove pre installed games

OP
K

kmusmc

Reaction score
Are there any free apps for removing preinstalls? The root explorer didn't make any sense

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Are there any free apps for removing preinstalls? The root explorer didn't make any sense

If it was the free version of Root Explorer then it wont allow you. Has to be the bought version in order to get to system apps and delete/rename them.

The free version is just a file manager. You have access to moving videos, pics and such. But it wont allow you to get to the root of your system.

You can get the Uninstaller app. That will allow you to uninstall the Need For Speed game. I do believe. The icon may still be there until you get Titanium BU or the paid version of Root Explorer.

Someone else might have a different idea.

Last edited: