Factory reset

Dingbat

Reaction score
Spare me the go search comments please. I'm 73 and might not have time to go search :). You should be fascinated that a geezer like me knows as much about Android as I do.

My Galaxy Tab got real sluggish. I don't use it much so I decided to do a factory reset. My surprise was that it downloaded everything! I thought I could load stuff from the play store as I desired.

My question is that my S5 is acting strange (esp re battery consumption) and I'm tempted to factory reset it too. But, if it downloads everything that is on it now, what do I gain?

Suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Spare me the go search comments please. I'm 73 and might not have time to go search :). You should be fascinated that a geezer like me knows as much about Android as I do.

My Galaxy Tab got real sluggish. I don't use it much so I decided to do a factory reset. My surprise was that it downloaded everything! I thought I could load stuff from the play store as I desired.

My question is that my S5 is acting strange (esp re battery consumption) and I'm tempted to factory reset it too. But, if it downloads everything that is on it now, what do I gain?

Suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance.
Welcome back old timer! Been a member for quite a while but one thing you maybe don't realize. We don't stand for people flaming others for the lack of searching to find their answers. Yes, we'd prefer if you could try but not everyone is skilled in using a search tool and yes, it does take a certain amount of skill in selecting the proper search terms to find what is relevant to your concerns. Even then, you may not find an answer even if it's out there.

So please feel free to ask away again in the future and we'll be happy to oblige you with an answer.

To your question... During the initial setup after doing the Factory Data Restore, there is a screen which asks you if you want to backup your data to Google servers and also if you want to restore them from the Google servers. If you uncheck that box, it will not automatically restore all the apps again, and once the restore is complete and you're back to stock you can always go into settings and check that box again and it will begin tracking the apps and data from then on.

39cdddf925077337505c78b4576edda9.jpg

Sent from my Droid Turbo on Tapatalk.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
You can also just go into play stay as soon as it starts downloading the apps, select stop and that kills the downloading also.

OP
D

Dingbat

Reaction score
Thanks all! I knew this is a polite place since I lurk and learn a lot. Guess I forgot that because I use other hobby forums and there are folks there that do nothing but say search! As noted, if you don't know the terminology, you can't do an effective search.

Got it on how to reset. Let me follow that up by questioning if I should do it? The S5 has gotten quirky in that it hangs up now and then. Worse is battery: it has started eating through it for no apparent reason. There is no obvious culprit in the battery usage screen. I asked about this on the S5 forum and folks agreed with my guess that it is the lousy reception area I live in. Most of the time I'm 1X but sometimes 3G...I'm guessing that it is eating the battery searching for a better tower. This is supported by the fact that battery is better in town, but not as great as it used to be.

But wife's identical S5 doesn't do this as bad as mine here at the house. Hers goes down but no where near as fast as mine.

Thoughts? And thanks in advance.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
A bad signal certainly will contribute to battery loss. Generally speaking no 2 phones are configured the same, with the same apps doing the same things or with the same frequency. Your problem could be related to frequent mail syncing, (or some other active widget, even weather) that your wife isn't doing exactly the same. Or, you may just be using it more.;) Struggling with WiFi will also add to battery drain.

OP
D

Dingbat

Reaction score
Good thought! I just deleted all the weather aps and a couple of more that may be causing unnecessary tower pinging or GPS searching. Will see how that works before nuking it. I'll report back for the benefit of others.

OP
D

Dingbat

Reaction score
How long should a factory reset (from the Settings Menu) take? I'm 25 min into "shutting down". Thanks!

OP
D

Dingbat

Reaction score
Yeah. Over an hour and would not respond. Pulled the battery and did the reset. Thanks!

OP
D

Dingbat

Reaction score
Just to report back. Pulled the battery and did the reset. Glad I did. Battery life and responsiveness is back to normal and it was easy to select the apps I really wanted. Don't be afraid to reset is my message. Thank you folks for your help.

The only strange thing is that signal strength is down a bit from yesterday. We're in a bad area but always got at least 1X and even 3G sometimes. Getting hardly anything now. But that could be the tower.

mindylewis1981

Reaction score
hello I tried to flash my droid bionic it went to 21 out of 22 and battery died is there anything I can do now its battery low and boot failure

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
hello I tried to flash my droid bionic it went to 21 out of 22 and battery died is there anything I can do now its battery low and boot failure
Have someone charge your battery or buy an otg cable that can charge it.