Factory Reset

Bigbunny

Reaction score
I am most likely going to do a factory reset, but have a few questions:

1. Is it better to do it through the settings menu, or by doing that weird X/power key way?

2. Will I lose the app I paid for? I got the full key version of Documents to Go. Granted, it was only $15 but every $ counts.

I'm already guessing I will have to start over on Angry Birds =P

Thanks!

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Are you rooted?

This thread has been Thunder struck!!

Hmong_Xiong

Reaction score
I am most likely going to do a factory reset, but have a few questions:

1. Is it better to do it through the settings menu, or by doing that weird X/power key way?

2. Will I lose the app I paid for? I got the full key version of Documents to Go. Granted, it was only $15 but every $ counts.

I'm already guessing I will have to start over on Angry Birds =P

Thanks!

Sounds like you are rooted because that X/power is recovery, which rooted users have. You do not lose paid apps due to the bought apps on your Google account. You do have to restart on apps like Angry Birds unless you use Titanium Backup or MyBackup (Pro or Root). Those two apps lets you backup app data. And if you do a factory reset, you should do this first:
-Reboot into recovery (X/power thing)
-Backup your rom (just in case something goes wrong than u can restore it later or in the future)

[ ] Motorola Droid: Latest Miui
[X] Motorola Xoom: Tiamat 2.1
[ ] Apple iPhone 3G: RedSn0w Jailbreak
Tapatalk

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
You don't have to root for power+x to take you to recovery, its just whether it takes you to stock or a custom recovery actually.

OP
B

Bigbunny

Reaction score
Nope, not rooted. Wouldn't have a clue how, LOL!

Glad to know I wont lose the paid app.

Does that change the recommendation on how to factory reset?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Still use power+x and that should bring you to a screen with a triangle. Press the search key on the keyboard and it should take you to the stock recovery.

MidgetGiraffe

Reaction score
Since you are not rooted you should be fine I am completely stock and on OTA 4.5.607 (gingerbread) when you reboot you don't lose data here are instructions on how to reboot

Froyo (2.4.330)
1. Hold the power button down and press "power down"
2. When the phone is off hold the letter x and the power button at the same time for about 2 seconds after the white motorola m. pops up.
3. When you see the green android and the triangle with the ! Comes up press the magnifying glass on the physical keyboard and a menu should come up.
4. Use the volume buttons to navigate the menu and the camera key to select things and navigate to reboot system and select it with the camera key

Gingerbread (4.5.607)
2. When the phone is off hold the letter x and the power button at the same time for about 2 seconds after the red motorola M pops up.
3. When you see the green android and the triangle with the ! Comes up press both the up and down volume buttons at the same time and the secret menu should come up.
4. Use the volume keys to navigate but the enter key(the one with the arrow above the ok key to select things and navigate to reboot system and select it with the enter key

I have done both and neither have deleted any of my apps or data but if u want to be sure you could take out the sd card before you reboot your phone

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Since you are not rooted you should be fine I am completely stock and on OTA 4.5.607 (gingerbread) when you reboot you don't lose data here are instructions on how to reboot

Froyo (2.4.330)
2. When the phone is off hold the letter x and the power button at the same time for about 2 seconds after the white motorola m. pops up.
3. When you see the green android and the triangle with the ! Comes up press the magnifying glass on the physical keyboard and a menu should come up.
4. Use the volume buttons to navigate the menu and the camera key to select things and navigate to reboot system and select it with the camera key

Gingerbread (4.5.607)
2. When the phone is off hold the letter x and the power button at the same time for about 2 seconds after the red motorola M pops up.
3. When you see the green android and the triangle with the ! Comes up press both the up and down volume buttons at the same time and the secret menu should come up.
4. Use the volume keys to navigate but the enter key(the one with the arrow above the ok key to select things and navigate to reboot system and select it with the enter key

I have done both and neither have deleted any of my apps or data but if u want to be sure you could take out the sd card before you reboot your phone

+1 and just a tad more detailed :)

MidgetGiraffe

Reaction score
The reason I suggeted a reboot instead of a factory reset is because it fixes most issues without deleting data

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
The reason I suggeted a reboot instead of a factory reset is because it fixes most issues without deleting data

Very true

Hmong_Xiong

Reaction score
You don't have to root for power+x to take you to recovery, its just whether it takes you to stock or a custom recovery actually.

Didn't know that lol I failed

Tapatalk

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Didn't know that lol I failed

Tapatalk

Can't fail when trying to help someone my friend :)

OP
B

Bigbunny

Reaction score
Went ahead and did the factory reset. So far, so good!

Keeping fingers crossed........