Factory Reset - What will I lose?

7 VII 7

Reaction score
I am having issues with 2.1 and would like to do a full factory reset... what am I going to lose?

I have tons of pictures
Apps
and specific notification sounds for certain events
My contacts and FB friends in there.

Thanks!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am having issues with 2.1 and would like to do a full factory reset... what am I going to lose?

I have tons of pictures
Apps
and specific notification sounds for certain events
My contacts and FB friends in there.

Thanks!

If you do it from your Droid just out of the privacy settings, you just need to sign back into things. Everything else should still be there. The only thing I lost were things that I downloaded using an .apk file from my sd card.

visorboy

Reaction score
need help

what if you do a factory reset from the recovery mode boot screen? is everything still saved?

i tried forcing the 2.1 update and now the "droid" screen and the red eye just keeping looping continuously. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
what if you do a factory reset from the recovery mode boot screen? is everything still saved?

i tried forcing the 2.1 update and now the "droid" screen and the red eye just keeping looping continuously. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You would lose all your downloads, you would have to reinstall paid apps but it wouldn't cost you anything they would still be in your downloads.

As far as your looping issue goes, try going to the rescue squad and see if they can help you over there. It's in the hacks section.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Doing a hard reset, is what you are talking about, that is from the recovery menu, and that will delete everything. Reset the phone back to the way it was when you walked out of the store.

visorboy

Reaction score

Doing a hard reset, is what you are talking about, that is from the recovery menu, and that will delete everything. Reset the phone back to the way it was when you walked out of the store.

sorry if this is a dumb question, but how do i reset my phone back to the way it was?

Reaction score
Make sure to remove the SD card before doing it, this way you maintain a good majority of your data and bookmarks.

visorboy

Reaction score
thanks for the responses

i just did a factory reset and the update worked fine after that. thanks again

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
The biggest thing I lost was a lot of my free apps. Once I figured out what they were I was able to download them too.

nbajam

Reaction score
Does the market save free apps in the "downloads" area like it does the paid apps? Or do you have to remember what they all are?

MiXoLoGiSt

Reaction score
Ok so lets make sure i got this correctly

A factory reset (from privacy settings menu) will not remove apps or anything like that.

A hard reset from the recovery menu will erase everything.

EDIT: Nevermind factory reset (from privacy settings) did remove apps and such but my google account picked them all up and put them on the Downloads list of the market for me to re-download.

Last edited:

k1ng617

Reaction score
I just did a factory reset from the privacy menu and here was my experience.

1) It did NOT delete anything from my SDcard
2) I had to redownload and reinstall each app individually. Purchases are saved on Google servers so I did NOT have to repay for them.
3) All settings were erased including those for the operating system and all apps (Scores, settings, bookmarks, homescreen, wifi everything!) Contacts are saved on google servers so those were safe.
4) I had to reactivate my phone using the automatic over the air activation process
5) It was a pain to reset everything how I had it before and are currently searching for an easier way if I ever need to restore again.