Factory Reset... am I now unrooted

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by jcboyett, Feb 26, 2010.

1. jcboyett

jcboyett New Member

I rooted my droid a few weeks ago and keep having problems. My phone would randomly reboot, or FC, then my phone would get a lil' hotter than usual (I'm guessing because of the OC, even though I used profiles) and also the added battery power drainage (also probably because of the OC). I eventually just decided to go back to factory and did a factory reset. My most recent rom was BB v1.1 with the AdamZ kernel 1.1GHz

My question is since I did the reset am I now "completely unrooted". I'm not really that much of a hacker to begin with so I guess I wouldn't know. My phone seems to be running normally, I just don't know if it still has busybox installed on the SDcard. and I still get the SPRecovery image instead of the initial exclamation mark inside the triangle.

Also, am I now going to be able to receive OTA updates?

These issues have probably all been covered already, but I searched through the threads and couldn't find a heading I thought covered this. If anyone could provide some insight I would be grateful
  2. Erron

Erron Developer Developer

Yes you are completely unrooted and should be able to receive updates if they ever show up.
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 New Member

You need to stop posting in this part of the forums and go back to the sections for scaredy catz. :D

-Mike
  4. phaze3131

phaze3131 New Member

LOL true but good question and I was wondering the same thing if I ever chose to do so in case I needed to take the phone in so thanks bud!
  5. johall07

johall07 New Member

only way to know if you are actually unrooted is to dl terminal emulator and type su and hitenter if you get a # symbol you aren't if it says permission denied then you are unrooted
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 New Member

A factory reset will not remove root. I just did one, and I am still rooted.

-Mike
  7. huskur

huskur Well-Known Member

a factory reset does not automatically unroot your phone. More will chime in and tell you the same. Look for your superuser icon in the app drawer. 99% sure it will still be there. Like i said, Factory resetting does not unroot your phone

watch the video
  8. mAlfunkti0n

mAlfunkti0n New Member

Running that CPU at any OC speeds could be causing the issues. Did you try running it at the standard 550? Some CPUs OC well, others do not at all.

I love that people are willing to try and risk things, however, it has become so easy to do so that people hack away without knowing few or any of the risks associated. I hope it runs well for you now though!
  9. christim

christim DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

ROFL. Is that what they are going to call that new section for moding unrooted phones? Scaredy Catz Appz. lol.
  10. korp

korp New Member

If you don't have the ninja superuser thing in the app drawer then yes you are no longer rooted ... going into terminal and typing su is another way to see though .... if you are still rooted it changes to a #.
  11. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 New Member

Here's my chime: Reset doesn't remove root. *dancedancedance* You have to flash the unroot_update.zip file to remove superuser permissions.

Here is the tutorial from over at rootyourdroid.info : Unroot & Back To Stock | Root Your Droid

It will have the files you need. *dancedancedance*
  12. MJ5150

MJ5150 New Member

If you smash your phone into a couple thousand pieces, I'm pretty sure you'll lose root.

-Mike
Search tags for this page

if i do a factory reset will it unroot my phone

if you factory resent does it unroot phone