Facebook updated now always in my running apps and couple other app questions

Erikbal

Reaction score
First off sorry for the long post but please take your time to read. The other day Facebook had an update install which I'm sure many of you have gotten as well. Well since then when I go to manage apps and check my running apps facebook seems to always be there even when the app is closed. I'll stop the the running app and I don't know for sure yet if it just comes back on its own without me using facebook but I do know that after I use the facebook app and am done with it and check my running apps it's always there so I stop it co clear up the 8mb of ram that it uses. Anyone else notice this? Should I bother to keep closing it or just let it run? It seems the less running apps I have and the more RAM I have free the better my phone runs. Also in runnning apps I always have one running called weather and when I open it it has 2 of the same things running and one news one running and I will stop all 3 but within minutes they're all running again and right back there. I have some apps that after I'm done using them they are no longer in my running apps and others that stay there til I stop them. Also sometimes after I go to my gallery and look at pics or something after I'm done it'll be in my running apps so I'll stop it but it's only sometimes it'll be there. Any rhyme or reason to this? Sorry for the long post just trying to understand these things and make sure I am doing what's best. Thanks.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
E

Erikbal

Reaction score
Ok since I posted this thread I have NOT used facebook I've been browsing around on here and I checked my running apps and sure enough facebook is running again. Anyway to keep this from happening? Anyone else notice this as well?

Greyhaven7

Reaction score
Same problem here. I have a Droid Milestone. I've got half the RAM of a Droid 3... every app that's running very noticeably affects performance.
I've changed the settings inside the FB app to:
  • Refresh Interval: Never
  • Noticications: Inactive
  • Sync Contacts: Don't sync
There is no logical reason that FB should self-start repeatedly to hog ~20MB of my precious 256MB of RAM when I have essentially told it to never sync/update/refresh anything.

FB needs to get this crap in gear.

OP
E

Erikbal

Reaction score
Exactly and it does take up quite a bit of ram and it never used to do that before it sucks.

km75

Reaction score
Yeah I noticed the increase in ram usage from the fb app since the update too. I've since un-installed it and I'm using friendcaster for the time being. In regards to fb, news, weather, etc showing up in the usage stats, well that can be attributed to the fact that they are syncing in the background and updating/or u have them set to push notifications. Also if you are using a widget for a certain app no matter how many times you kill the app its going to restart. Just a heads up.
Edit: also in some instances the apps are written poorly and that is why they constantly run. In those instances sometimes the best thing you can do is just un-install the offending app.

Last edited:

LT*

Reaction score
I updated and am having this happen too. Stupid Facebook.

Htown315

Reaction score
Still no fix for FB constantly running? I've turned off everything imaginable and even with background data off it still runs all day.

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
And its going to keep running. They redesigned the app to be running all the time.

Sent from my Droid 3 directly to YOU!

Htown315

Reaction score
Ya that's the point of the thread lol.

So short of freezing the app does anyone have any ideas? I saw 35mb of usage from the app yesterday and today I checked and it was running for 7+ hours. It also shows up under wakelocks which means it drains battery.

Last edited:

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
Sign out of it and simply use the mobile version through your phones browser

Sent from my DROID X while driving.....thankyou tapatalk

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
If you really don't want it running all the time, then I suggest you uninstall itand use the Facebook sync option that is on the phone under My Accounts.

Sent from my Droid 3 directly to YOU!

Pidge

Reaction score
I HATE this as well. FB should not be constantly running in background. I can no longer leave my phone connected to wifi because fb is constantly loading itself and fb friends are trying to chat with me and I'm not there.

Htown315

Reaction score
I'm surprised more people haven't complained frankly. I like being in total control of my device..that's why I rooted it to begin with!!!!

Just freeze it when not in use until a better fix comes along.

OP
E

Erikbal

Reaction score
How do I freeze it? Can someone give me a step by step? Also will it affect anything when I use the app?