Facebook Overpowers Everything!?

MassAppeal16

Reaction score
I have all my facebook contacts in my contact list, but on some I have nicknames and special pictures that I had saved to use for about 10 people. When they sync together (facebook and phone contacts) Facebook makes it their name and photo instead of what I want it to be. Any idea how to fix this?

phatkat66

Reaction score
Id like to know this as well, I know i've done it before but idk what I did. Because i have certain friends I call "princess" and their fb is synced and it use to say their whole name but after constant messin around it finally said "Princess" again while synced.

OP
M

MassAppeal16

Reaction score
If at all possible please try to figure it out LOL. I know its not a huge deal, but Id like it to say what I want. I sdtart typing in names and it doesnt come up bc Im not used to calling them by their names...

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
write down all contact info for contact you want to change
delete contact
go into facebook app>menu>home>friends
tap on the facebook profile pic for the contact to be changed
select contacts>edit contact>new contact>type in info, save

Viola

OP
M

MassAppeal16

Reaction score
Mybe I did it wrong, but it didnt work for me. I deleted the contact from my phone. Went into contacts. It pulled up the facebook profile. I edited name to what I wanted. Saved, then it stayed as his display name from facebook. wtf

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Mybe I did it wrong, but it didnt work for me. I deleted the contact from my phone. Went into contacts. It pulled up the facebook profile. I edited name to what I wanted. Saved, then it stayed as his display name from facebook. wtf

You went to friends in the official facebook app and tapped on the profile pic?
should have got a couple icons as options

You made sure to do "new contact" not "Join" right?

Maybe it's diff 4 the X. It's how it works on Droid.

OP
M

MassAppeal16

Reaction score
I just tried it again to make sure. Went into Facebook app, then selected the friends tab. went to the contact I wanted to change.. and when it loaded her page, it didnt let me tap her picture, nothing happened.

DigiK

Reaction score
You can easily override read-only Facebook info by the order in which you join contacts together. Contact information for the parent contact will always take precedence.

Go to Phone>Contacts. First, separate the contact entries for the person you'd like to edit. Then, choose the GOOGLE CONTACT and go to edit contact>join and choose that person's FB contact.

In some cases where you separate a contact, you'll find there are more than two contacts. They may be fragmented or duplicate Google contacts, Venmo contacts, etc; so just be careful you don't lose any data and take this time to do some house cleaning.

Cheers!

OP
M

MassAppeal16

Reaction score
You can easily override read-only Facebook info by the order in which you join contacts together. Contact information for the parent contact will always take precedence.

Go to Phone>Contacts. First, separate the contact entries for the person you'd like to edit. Then, choose the GOOGLE CONTACT and go to edit contact>join and choose that person's FB contact.

In some cases where you separate a contact, you'll find there are more than two contacts. They may be fragmented or duplicate Google contacts, Venmo contacts, etc; so just be careful you don't lose any data and take this time to do some house cleaning.

Cheers!

Just tried this and it didnt work for me either...

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I just tried it again to make sure. Went into Facebook app, then selected the friends tab. went to the contact I wanted to change.. and when it loaded her page, it didnt let me tap her picture, nothing happened.

You don't load her page you tap her pic in your list of freinds, if her pic (after being deleted) won't pop up a menu, try to tap a different friends pic (one you didn't delete) and see if you get the menu, if so logout of FB and log back in, sync with contacts, try again but this time don't delete her contact 1st.

DigiK

Reaction score
Just tried this and it didnt work for me either...

Unless Moto screwed with contact manager underpinnings, setting the parent contact as Google contact and editing that contact info the way you want it to display SHOULD work. I haven't had any problems doing this on my D1, at least since I discovered the feature was available in 2.2. Maybe someone running 2.1 on a D1 can verify it behaves this way.

phatkat66

Reaction score
yea I did it on my d1 and my contacts just carried over to my dx. I haven't really edited any contacts on my dx. I already did everything i wanted to do along time ago on my d1 and stopped making friends since LOL

gerelee

Reaction score
nope, doesn't work, i added a third link to a contact, twitter, and it displayed the twitter name and pic.....even after starting with the google contact, it still changed to the twitter info for my contact..oh well, guess i'll just keep it separate for now.

tovar619

Reaction score
I've been trying to figure this out all day. But no matter what combination I try it seems the google contact always takes the back seat. I hope there is a fix later down the line for this.