Facebook can't detect location

SSpeeDEMONSS

Reaction score
No matter where I am, it always says "Couldn't detect your location. Please check your signal and tap here to try again." What does that mean and how can I fix it?

thanks
Garrett

JohnnyD359

Reaction score
Just wondering why would you want facebook to know where you are? I cant stand how invasive facebook is already....you constantly have to update your privacy...whenever they make changes they convieniently restore all setting to there default which is visible to everyone...In this case,Id say be careful what you wish for....

OP
SSpeeDEMONSS

SSpeeDEMONSS

Reaction score
regardless, i want it to work the way it is supposed to and its not. i have friends with Droids and their phones work just fine. im updated to 2.2 and cant think of what else it could be.

Garrett

Android Man

Reaction score
@SSpeeDEMONSS I am having the same problem and I can't find any information to fix it anywhere. I am still looking for a solution. Weird. I was able to check-in to a location once before but now it is not working where ever I go. With Wifi, or on the mobile network. The Gps is on....."facebook places couldn't detect your location" may be a good thing...... that remains to be seen

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dumb question, is your GPS getting a lock? Use GPS status from the market to make sue you are getting a lock. I assume you are using the touch site, as I havent seen the option yet in the app. Have you enabled location in your browser settings?

Android Man

Reaction score
:icon_ banana:I have solved my issue. dancedroid I was using SkyFire. I uninstalled it and when I used the defult moble browser I was able to check in to my location. Is there anyone using the SkyFire browser have any insight as to why this happened. I could not see a setting that was off with in SkyFire that would prohibit it from allowing location infomation being transmitted.

Android Man

Reaction score
Thanks for the nudge

DB thanks for the nudge in the right direction. I would like however to be able to use SkyFire. It is a good mobile browser. I really like the "tabbed" capabilities.

Dumb question, is your GPS getting a lock? Use GPS status from the market to make sue you are getting a lock. I assume you are using the touch site, as I havent seen the option yet in the app. Have you enabled location in your browser settings?

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wow, you're making me work this morning. I just downloaded skyfire, got dressed and went outside (metal roof = no GPS) hit up face book, and it worked for me. Try going to menu>Settings>Privacy & Security>Clear location access and see if that helps. If not, Clear your cache, and restart the browser and see if that works. I dont remember how to change your location settings in the touch site,it asked for permission to use location services, but I clicked ok before I read the disclaimer on how to change the settings.

PS: After a Force Stop (From home screen- Menu> settings> applications> manage apps> all> skyfire> Force Stop, and clearing the cache from the menu in the browser, I was prompted for permission to share my location again.
Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
SSpeeDEMONSS

SSpeeDEMONSS

Reaction score
i know my GPS works because my GPS app works just fine. the setting on facebook at set for the location too. it just doesnt want to.

Garrett

OP
SSpeeDEMONSS

SSpeeDEMONSS

Reaction score
ok, just downloaded skyfire and it works with that but doesnt work with the normal browser. i guess i will just have to use skyfire for it from now on. i still wish i could figure out why it wont do it with the normal browser.

Garrett

zzzjtwzzz

Reaction score
I got mine to start working again by doing the following:
1. Select "more" from internet menu
2. Selet "settings"
3. Cleared "Clear location access"
4. Cycled the "Enable location" check box