Face Unlock?

mrkelly88

Reaction score
What were to happen if you took a picture of the owner's face and put it in front of the camera for the unlock? :blink:

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
:eek: Don't worry, Google probably already thought of that! =P But that is a good question. I wonder if it has to be 3D...

Now I'm having flashbacks to the first Mission Impossible movie with all the face-replica masks and using them to hack people's phones...

patriot95

Reaction score
True, I just hope its really secure seeing that apps like Google Wallet are being released and that puts even more important data on your cell phone

For some reason I'm still most comfortable with a number combo unlock. We'll see how well it works I guess.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
We actually had a similar discussion in one of the news threads about this. It was concurred that the "advanced" recognition technology would [we assume] be able to make the distinction.
An interesting point was brought up, by I believe Trusstopher. Something that would be cool about it is if someone has tried to access your device and failed it would show you a snap shot of that person. Obviously speculation but I would imagine it could have the capability to do so, if not now, at some point.

ice456789

Reaction score
That's the same issue that laptops that use facial recognition unlock deal with. They handle it many different ways. First off, if you hold the picture at any kind of angle it won't work because the measurements of your face won't match up. In other words if the picture is tilted it will either make your features look longer or fatter. Secondly if the pic doesn't match ambient lighting then it is discarded. Any shine on the pic would also throw it off.

But that's all things that computers with face recognition do, I have no idea if the cell phone will do it. If you need ultra security for national secrets then don't use it. If you want to keep people from finding the nudie pics of your girlfriend, then facial recognition should do the truck.

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just wait until getting into your phone will take voice recog, finger print scan, iris scanner, and a DNA (source of your choice) sample....

pilot25

Reaction score
The few videos on Engadget and others already show the facial recognition doesn't work well. I'd make an educated guess no one will be using the feature as they will be frustrated with it after just a days.

The Race To Die

Reaction score
Its not too bad on my laptop. Every once in a while it wouldn't recognize me the first time, but I've since turned it off anyway haha the cool factor wore off eventually.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

patriot95

Reaction score
The few videos on Engadget and others already show the facial recognition doesn't work well. I'd make an educated guess no one will be using the feature as they will be frustrated with it after just a days.

One of the videos I saw on Engadget showed it working very well and very quick. I don't really care though... it's a cool feature but I never lock my phone.