1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Face Unlock?

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Nexus' started by mrkelly88, Oct 18, 2011.

1. mrkelly88

mrkelly88 New Member

What were to happen if you took a picture of the owner's face and put it in front of the camera for the unlock? :blink:
  2. rubiksc00p

rubiksc00p Well-Known Member

Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
    :eek: Don't worry, Google probably already thought of that! =P But that is a good question. I wonder if it has to be 3D...
  3. Trusstopher

Trusstopher Super Moderator

Now I'm having flashbacks to the first Mission Impossible movie with all the face-replica masks and using them to hack people's phones...
  4. mrkelly88

mrkelly88 New Member

Wouldn't a fingerprint scanner be more secure?
  5. Larry Mahnken

Larry Mahnken New Member

That would be a hardware decision, while the face unlock is in the OS.
  6. sajgel

sajgel Member

Im thinking of the movie Face/Off
  7. mrkelly88

mrkelly88 New Member

True, I just hope its really secure seeing that apps like Google Wallet are being released and that puts even more important data on your cell phone
  8. patriot95

patriot95 New Member

For some reason I'm still most comfortable with a number combo unlock. We'll see how well it works I guess.
  9. JSM9872

JSM9872 Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

We actually had a similar discussion in one of the news threads about this. It was concurred that the "advanced" recognition technology would [we assume] be able to make the distinction.
    An interesting point was brought up, by I believe Trusstopher. Something that would be cool about it is if someone has tried to access your device and failed it would show you a snap shot of that person. Obviously speculation but I would imagine it could have the capability to do so, if not now, at some point.
  10. ice456789

ice456789 New Member

That's the same issue that laptops that use facial recognition unlock deal with. They handle it many different ways. First off, if you hold the picture at any kind of angle it won't work because the measurements of your face won't match up. In other words if the picture is tilted it will either make your features look longer or fatter. Secondly if the pic doesn't match ambient lighting then it is discarded. Any shine on the pic would also throw it off.

But that's all things that computers with face recognition do, I have no idea if the cell phone will do it. If you need ultra security for national secrets then don't use it. If you want to keep people from finding the nudie pics of your girlfriend, then facial recognition should do the truck.
    1 person likes this.
  11. Trusstopher

Trusstopher Super Moderator

Just wait until getting into your phone will take voice recog, finger print scan, iris scanner, and a DNA (source of your choice) sample....
  12. pilot25

pilot25 New Member

The few videos on Engadget and others already show the facial recognition doesn't work well. I'd make an educated guess no one will be using the feature as they will be frustrated with it after just a days.
  13. The Race To Die

The Race To Die Member

Its not too bad on my laptop. Every once in a while it wouldn't recognize me the first time, but I've since turned it off anyway haha the cool factor wore off eventually.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  14. xeene

xeene Well-Known Member

Yes and more useful. My laptop has it and I no longer use passwords on websites.
  15. patriot95

patriot95 New Member

One of the videos I saw on Engadget showed it working very well and very quick. I don't really care though... it's a cool feature but I never lock my phone.
  16. pilot25

pilot25 New Member

If you start using Google Wallet you should lock it a few different ways. NFC is the next big thing. However, I don't see to many people venturing out without their wallet. I can just see going into a store and the NFC terminals are all down. Then what do you do. It'll 5 years before it takes off and that's only if someone else doesn't make a better product.
  17. patriot95

patriot95 New Member

Yeah... Google wallet will be pointless for ten years. We should be using chips like in Japan. These magnetic strips are way too old. Over there they simply put the chip into the back of their phones and pake all their payments that way. The US is very far behind on our payment methods. NFC wont be in stores for a LONG time. And I wont be going anywhere without my wallet for even longer.
Search tags for this page
droid face unlock

face unlock htc thunderbolt

how to use face unlock on htc thunderbolt
htc thunderbolt face lock

htc thunderbolt face unlock

htc thunderbolt facial recognition
motorola droid bionic face unlock
using face unlock htc thunderbolt