Face Unlock With Picture? Myth Confirmed

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
if some stranger has a picture of me on their phone, I think I have bigger issues than someone stealing my phone and going through it.

Yeah I think this is much to do about nothing. Ok is this possible yes. But who is going to waste their time to get that close up to you to be able to take that good of a picture so they can un lock your phone. Seriously dude got to get up on you and I dont know about you but if you get closer than arm distance then you are in my space and I am gonna have to back you off. So yeah I am not worried about that.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but if someone cuts off your hand they can use your phone. C'mon, people, use your brains here!

That's why I'm thinking retinal scanner! If you cut out my eyeball, my retina dies and the scanner won't work so I win cuz you can't get in my phone to see all my personal stuff (like leaf raking, right Rebel) and I still have a spare eyeball!!

GeLopez

Reaction score
The comparison here is against sliding it unlock, well, I like unlocking it with my face or picture.

William_04_x

Reaction score
Yeah I think this is much to do about nothing. Ok is this possible yes. But who is going to waste their time to get that close up to you to be able to take that good of a picture so they can un lock your phone. Seriously dude got to get up on you and I dont know about you but if you get closer than arm distance then you are in my space and I am gonna have to back you off. So yeah I am not worried about that.

People put close up pics on social media sites all the time. I'd like to see if one could be ripped and used to unlock the phone.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Omg seriously ..people are concerned about this. Lol. Highly doubt someone is going to be on a top secret mission to get in your phone that they carry a mugshot of you around until the opportunity arises.

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt using DroidForums

chewy74

Reaction score
Will this feature only program and recognize faces only? Can it store and unlock to any image?

Larry Mahnken

Reaction score
Will this feature only program and recognize faces only? Can it store and unlock to any image?

I really don't want to know what you want to set as your unlock image.

mightybrick

Reaction score
what about unlocking in pure darkness?
This is speculation, but I would bet that when the camera detects darkness, it would bypass the face unlock and require a password or pattern unlock as a back-up. Or does the front camera have a flash??

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is speculation, but I would bet that when the camera detects darkness, it would bypass the face unlock and require a password or pattern unlock as a back-up. Or does the front camera have a flash??

in his second try it looked like the face didn't register and the pattern came up

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
What you also have to realize is, the guy is using a picture of himself on the same day, same light, same background. If you went and tried to use someones picture from facebook, that they didn't use on their lock screen, I bet you have a lot harder time finding one that matches with the face lock photo.

What he did essentially was take his face lock photo, duplicate it and it fooled the system. I imagine it would fail on another photo of the person if it wasn't a similar facial expression. Imagine how different you look depending on your expression.

I'm not saying it's not a total semi-gimmick, but this to me doesn't prove much.

Last edited:

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I imagine it would fail on another photo of the person if it wasn't in the same setting. Imagine how your face changes in different lights, different shadows ect...
If this were the case you would have to be wearing the same clothes and be in the same setting to unlock your own phone - the whole thing is just a gimmik IMO, not a real life security feature

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wow epic fail on my part, I don't think it's a total gimmick, but you're right, my theory doesn't hold a drop of water.