Face dialing

quiksnake

Reaction score
Does anyone else have a issue with hitting button with your face as your talking?

Vitticeps

Reaction score
Shouldn't be possible. The proximity sensor is supposed to turn the screen off when you hold the phone to your head. If it isn't then you may have a faulty proximity sensor.

rkeller62

Reaction score
Easy to test the proximity sensor. Make a call on speakerphone and put a finger just above and to the left of Motorola at the top of the screen. Screen should turn off when you 'activate' the proximity sensor and turn back on when you move your finger away.

Joker

Reaction score
If your proximity sensor checks out to be ok, just be sure when you are using your phone that you keep it close to your ear. I noticed when I first used the phone, I was concerned of "face dialing" so I would hold it lightly and slightly away from my face as to not touch the screen. This apparently would allow lilght into the sensor making it think that it was away from my ear and allow the screen to turn back on.

Vitticeps

Reaction score
If your proximity sensor checks out to be ok, just be sure when you are using your phone that you keep it close to your ear. I noticed when I first used the phone, I was concerned of "face dialing" so I would hold it lightly and slightly away from my face as to not touch the screen. This apparently would allow lilght into the sensor making it think that it was away from my ear and allow the screen to turn back on.

The logic holds true there but the proximity sensor isn't a light sensor, it's a capacitive sensor that works pretty much the same way as the screen but from a greater distance. Your body breaks an electron field, triggering the sensor.

ntrddragn

Reaction score
my droid does...face dialing that is. my sensor works because i can see the screen goes on and off. and if i have it on speaker and i move my finger over the sensor it would turn the screen off. the only time it 'face dial' is when i have the dial pad on. i have to hit 'hide' to hide the dial pad in order for my face not dial.

Joker

Reaction score
The logic holds true there but the proximity sensor isn't a light sensor, it's a capacitive sensor that works pretty much the same way as the screen but from a greater distance. Your body breaks an electron field, triggering the sensor.

I stand corrected, Thanks. :)
I just figured it had to be light activated since when I covered the two sensors it would turn the screen off.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the common problem of having long hair that interferes with the proximity sensor. As my father used to say, "Get a haircut!." Or if you're not willing to follow such 1960's advice, be sure that your hair isn't between you and the phone.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else have a issue with hitting button with your face as your talking?
I don't but some do. There can be any number of causes including:

- The way you hold your Droid may not be tripping the proximity sensor.
- Long hair causing problems for the proximity sensor.
- Faulty proximity sensor.

...and possibly other causes as well. As mentioned above, it's very easy to test the sensor.

xfireguru

Reaction score
I actually have this problem with listening to voicemail within the google voice app. I usually end up fast forwarding or rewinding the voicemail message I'm trying to listen to. There was an update this morning to GV which claims to have fixed numerous bugs, but I haven't bothered testing to see if that issue has been resolved.

gatewayad

Reaction score
Happens to me often, hair i am pretty sure is the blame or just moving the phone away from your face for a second. What i have found works best to at least correct the problem once it mutes on you is to just take the phone away from your face hit the back button then continue on your call. I have found no other way to fix the issue, other than putting it under your hair and never moving it more than 1mm away from your face :)

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the common problem of having long hair that interferes with the proximity sensor. As my father used to say, "Get a haircut!." Or if you're not willing to follow such 1960's advice, be sure that your hair isn't between you and the phone.

my girlfriend has issues with her hair and the proximity sensor sometimes....

WVOz1970

Reaction score
I actually have this problem with listening to voicemail within the google voice app. I usually end up fast forwarding or rewinding the voicemail message I'm trying to listen to. There was an update this morning to GV which claims to have fixed numerous bugs, but I haven't bothered testing to see if that issue has been resolved.

I have the same problem. GV doesn't seem to utilize the proximity sensor. I also find that if I have GV on speaker and the display times out, it stops playback. Maybe today's update might have fixed that.

I only face dial when I sometimes don't hold the phone right on my ear... such as when I've been working outside and am all sweaty. Don't want to get the screen all gross, so I hold the phone close but not on. Now that I know it's not using light but actual proximity, I guess I'll just have to live with a schweddy phone sometimes :icon_eek:

xfireguru

Reaction score

I have the same problem. GV doesn't seem to utilize the proximity sensor. I also find that if I have GV on speaker and the display times out, it stops playback. Maybe today's update might have fixed that.

I only face dial when I sometimes don't hold the phone right on my ear... such as when I've been working outside and am all sweaty. Don't want to get the screen all gross, so I hold the phone close but not on. Now that I know it's not using light but actual proximity, I guess I'll just have to live with a schweddy phone sometimes :icon_eek:
Update to the GV issue: The proximity sensor now appears to lock the screen to eliminate any accidental FF/RW, but it doesn't turn the display off. I guess it's an improvement.